• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Removing Restriction On Springfield LTC!

I keep hearing of these mystical Demi-Gods who are residents of Springfield and successfully removed restrictions on their LTC. Is there anyone on the forum who qualifies as one of these unicorns? If so bestow some knowledge. (Update)Welp!!! I did it, I am now a Demi-God!!! On a serious note, I wrote a letter and today was informed my restrictions were removed and a new card should be arriving soon. I just want people to know you can do the same, the licensing authority just hopes you don't know and don't try.

Last edited:
Is it your first time being issued an LTC? The clerks told me they don't issue ALP until your renew.

The firearms lawyer in Springfield quoted me $3k just to get the ball rolling for court.

My mother and father both applied for theirs in Springfield at the same time. My mother was given ALP but my father who had an FID for 30 years ended up with restrictions.

Is it your first time being issued an LTC? The clerks told me they don't issue ALP until your renew.

The firearms lawyer in Springfield quoted me $3k just to get the ball rolling for court.

What was the lawyer's name, if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't mind having a local name "just in case". Feel free to pm if you'd rather not post it on here.

My mother and father both applied for theirs in Springfield at the same time. My mother was given ALP but my father who had an FID for 30 years ended up with restrictions.

That seems like it would be a slam dunk for even an average attorney to win. That right there just proves how entirely arbitrary the current system is. I would have them get in touch with Comm2A, or GOAL and see if they'd like to use this for a case.

Ive said this before many times. Im sure some lawyer or rules nazi is gonna chime in. But the restrictions thing especially in Springfield is a non issue IMO. I know a ton of the SPD guys and none of them could give a flying F about what your permit says on it.. as long as you have one.

I don't know why people worry about it so much. Just carry on.. I have seen very few cases in MA history on the restrictions piece.. you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting jammed on restrictions.

Ive said this before many times. Im sure some lawyer or rules nazi is gonna chime in. But the restrictions thing especially in Springfield is a non issue IMO. I know a ton of the SPD guys and none of them could give a flying F about what your permit says on it.. as long as you have one.

I don't know why people worry about it so much. Just carry on.. I have seen very few cases in MA history on the restrictions piece.. you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting jammed on restrictions.
It's not a case thing, it's a suitability thing. You get caught carrying off your restrictions, the licensing authority hears about it, they can yank your ltc. Now you always have to explain it on any future permit application.

It could be a really big pain in the ass.

It's truly horrible advice to tell someone to ignore the restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's not a case thing, it's a suitability thing. You get caught carrying off your restrictions, the licensing authority hears about it, they can yank your ltc. Now you always have to explain it on any future permit application.

It could be a really big pain in the ass.

It's truly horrible advice to tell someone to ignore the restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree with you, but see what MMArtist is saying as well. I guess it's better to just add a disclaimer that it isn't legal advice, but personal opinion. At the end of the day, though, we are all big boys here, and have to decide what our own personal risk tolerance is...

This is not a good idea, still.

I live in Springfield... Literally zero LEOs care about restrictions, I know most of them including the chief. 99% of them don't even know the gun laws, nor care. Unless you get busted on something else.. like drugs, robbery etc. they aren't gonna bother with you.

It wasn't a good idea then either.

Because it doesnt go to court. It just goes away. How on earth would you see it?

Because it doesnt go to court. It just goes away. How on earth would you see it?
1. The LTC holder is charged with the civil violation of carrying outside restriction.
2. The LTC holder appeals an LTC revocation for violation of restriction

Generally #1 does not happen. I expect the LTC would be revoked. If a department cares enough to put a restriction on a license, it will probably care enough to revoke it for violating that restriction. Police do not like it when people disobey them.

For probably a,lot less than 3k you can dump residency and wash your license that way....

For probably a,lot less than 3k you can dump residency and wash your license that way....

Sounds like from the original post that 3k is just to get started. If the cop has a hard on and wants to fight, the meter is running at what 1-200/hour plus whatever costs the court wants to hit you with?

There are plenty of towns around springfield that don't play games. And guess what... you can still go to springfield without having to worry about restrictions.

1. The LTC holder is charged with the civil violation of carrying outside restriction.

Generally #1 does not happen. I expect the LTC would be revoked. If a department cares enough to put a restriction on a license, it will probably care enough to revoke it for violating that restriction. Police do not like it when people disobey them.

Maybe they should mind their own business. Yes, the 2A is none of their business. Some knucklehead in DC gave them that authority, we the People, did not. /flameon

I've heard of surrounding towns rolling over with a simple letter from a lawyer, but I'm fairly confident that SPD would dog it out. If the upper brass and patrols are so open to CC, every license should be ALP end of story.

I had heard from a LEO that something was in the works to get rid of restrictions state wide but haven't heard anything about it since. About a year ago I was told that.

I've heard of surrounding towns rolling over with a simple letter from a lawyer, but I'm fairly confident that SPD would dog it out. If the upper brass and patrols are so open to CC, every license should be ALP end of story.

I had heard from a LEO that something was in the works to get rid of restrictions state wide but haven't heard anything about it since. About a year ago I was told that.

Ya Maura is working on it now...Its called a Ban.

Another LEO with his finger on the pulse of MA gun laws.

I love the facts rob as you would know better than most anyone but are you disputing or supporting what I said?

I love the facts rob as you would know better than most anyone but are you disputing or supporting what I said?
I was basically agreeing with it. The incidents of a revocation for violation of restriction will be hard to impossible to find in the court docket or any searchable database.

Now this here is piss poor advice.

Now this here is piss poor advice.

Agreed. Just because SPD doesn't give a shit does not mean the state trooper who stops you on the highway, or any other police department for that matter, is going to cut you any slack if you're carrying on a restricted license. Good chance that you're going to lose that license if you win the lottery on this one.

Agreed. Just because SPD doesn't give a shit does not mean the state trooper who stops you on the highway, or any other police department for that matter, is going to cut you any slack if you're carrying on a restricted license. Good chance that you're going to lose that license if you win the lottery on this one.
I suppose a very important question is "How will the Springfield licensing officer react if he gets a request to revoke the LTC from another department due to a restriction violation?".

I'm willing to bet SPD cares very much.

- - - Updated - - -

how many turds can people throw into the punchbowl with their bad advice? JFC.

Does a night of drafts count? [smile][rofl]

Yes it is, I'd definitely want to speak to that lawyer, I'm a law student myself, I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom