• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Remsport 1911

Steve600

NES Member
I had met Ron Chassion back in the 90’s. I lived close to his Ludlow shop and would stop in to ask questions etc. I have always liked 1911’s and bought my first Goldcup, a 1977 in 1978 while on leave…. I still have it and just finished a complete rebuild. Anyway, I was talking to Ron about building a 1911 from scratch so he let me pick a frame from thousands he had stacked in containers ready for shipment. Some were already stamped for Nighthawk and as I recall Les Bear so I picked an unmarked one that had not been blued yet. Ronnie taught me a lot back then, fitment of the slide, ignition fitment, etc. It is amazing how good a trigger can work if you spend several evening hand polishing the internals and spring the gun properly. Because I don’t get paid, spending hours polishing one little piece under a glass is kind of rewarding when to actually finish it and the trigger works perfectly.

I don’t know much about rifles, nothing about shotguns, and almost zero about revolvers but my skill at building 1911’s is pretty good. I keep a logbook of the work I do on each gun. Instead of randomly bending a sear spring to increase or decrease trigger pull, I have made several low power scales to measure the disconnector spring and sear separately, and keep a log on how the gun ran using a specific main and recoil springs depending on what load I am using. I reload all my own too.

Last week I fit a new cylinder and slide sear and hammer into the Remsport. I had fit and polished the disconnector and sear, trigger, etc. After shooting 25 or so rounds I dissemble the gun and where the polished surfaces have worn in and redo any areas that show abnormal contact. It is a fun hobby to get into. On my Goldcup I installed a lightweight Wilson trigger and a John Anderson trigger/sear while removing the stock sear/sear spring combo that the cups came with originally. My goal with that gun is to make it my carry gun when it is ready. Check out my Remsport stamped “Match” and a 3 digit serial! I have never seen one like it. Anyway, this is my Remsport which has gone through a hundred variations over the years and still works perfectly.

6979344A-C846-4236-9CD2-6CAF13B0BFD6.jpeg

It's great to see the Remsport frames still starting threads here. I regret not getting up there to see John and pick some up.

I kick myself for not grabbing a frame or two the last time I was in there talking with john and him working on a AR for me.

It's great to see the Remsport frames still starting threads here. I regret not getting up there to see John and pick some up.
At the time (1998 or so) I couldn’t find anyone who would sell me a frame because I live in MA. I tried to buy a Caspian and others but all said no because of the hassle of MA laws. But Ron had no problem, did the FBI background check and I was all set to go. I have had a ton of slides but the cheapest one I have is a Remington Tactical I bought on eBay and it fits the gun perfectly. I have never touched the rails on the receiver so all the work took a lot longer on the slide. But in the end it came out really nice and I have used it ever since. I would put that Remsport up against any Kimber, Wilson, or any of the major manufacturers out there. Karl Sokel did a goldcup for me back in the early 90’s but I would rather shoot the Remsport, it just works nice.

Ron lost his FFL and now it is run my a group of guys called TR Enabling. They seem to sell parts but I have never seen a legal 100% complete receiver for sale.
Didn't John pass away a while back? I know we did a group buy of frames a long time ago. Everyone who I have spoken to who saw the facility firsthand always had positive things to say about it and the people who ran it.

Didn't John pass away a while back? I know we did a group buy of frames a long time ago. Everyone who I have spoken to who saw the facility firsthand always had positive things to say about it and the people who ran it.
I assumed that was his Dad. When I saw that in the paper it talked about owning RCS diesel which is what made me think it was the Father. I could be wrong.

So I dont think Ron and John were related. I went to high school with Ron a while back. Also, I believe John had cancer but pulled through.
just an FYI…

Ron lost his FFL and now it is run my a group of guys called TR Enabling. They seem to sell parts but I have never seen a legal 100% complete receiver for sale.
I have bought several 1911 frames from TR enabling…. They are marked remsport still. Just call and ask if you don’t see what you want

I think they primarily do contract work for other manufacturers, take a look at the parts they sell and frame styles…. They look like some of the names mentioned above….. I think the FFL stuff is still under the Remsport name. 80% and parts seem to be marketed by TR enabling.
Always had good experiences deal with them

I did a build off a Remsport match frame, back in 2011 or so. It was interesting seeing the names on the various parts bins. Bought the frame from John. Ended up going fly fishing with him once or twice after.

Built it more for the experience than anything. Used a GI style kit, and had the frame cerakoted. Shoots well!

FFB8D149-28A2-4779-9B99-0EB32A80A5C1.jpeg

I did a build off a Remsport match frame, back in 2011 or so. It was interesting seeing the names on the various parts bins. Bought the frame from John. Ended up going fly fishing with him once or twice after.

Built it more for the experience than anything. Used a GI style kit, and had the frame cerakoted. Shoots well!

View attachment 715453

View attachment 715453
Nice, I got the extended magwell also.

I did a build off a Remsport match frame, back in 2011 or so. It was interesting seeing the names on the various parts bins.
I got in on one of his group buys back around then as well, and saw all those bins and asked about it and he said yeah I make parts of other companies with a smile.

I sold mine a year or so ago because I got in a pinch, but I am working @drgrant over on buying it back. [laugh]

View attachment 715453

I was in that group but as well and gave the frame and slide to Greg Derr to do a custom job for me. Its one awesome tack driver. Great components to start with. Hope they are of the same caliber nowadays.

606F8C09-41DA-4706-8A1B-E97952BE7228.jpeg

I was in that group but as well and gave the frame and slide to Greg Derr to do a custom job for me. Its one awesome tack driver. Great components to start with. Hope they are of the same caliber nowadays.

View attachment 715572
Mine might have predated the group buy. I was told it was a production overrun, and it hints of starting life as something else.

DD2F076F-B849-45D5-B5F8-3259701E9018.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom