Renewal

My permit will be up for renewal in Mar next year,is there a specific time to re apply by law or does it depend on the local PD?
I figured to go in and start the process in the middle of Jan.

Jan sounds about right. Call your local PD and ask how far in advance they accept renewal applications.

There is no time specified by law, but if you wait until after the license has expired you do not get the grace period.

Much too late IMNSHO.

When my permit was due for renewal in Feb, I submitted my paperwork in October, I was "interviewed" in December and had my renewal LTC in-hand 9 days after my "interview"! My town only does "interviews" one day/month so if it is booked up, you wait an additional month or two.

In the past, a number of years earlier, my Wife submitted her renewal (and interview) in May for an Aug expiration and didn't get her new one until mere days before her current LTC was to expire.

There is no way to predict how long the process will take due to both local foot-dragging or state-level foot-dragging, so 4-5 months before expiration is my standard response to this question.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread here, wondering about how soon to begin th renewal process? Does 4-5 months prior to experation still hold true?

Thanks

Do it early, no harm in that.

But do be advised that if you get your new LTC before the old one expires, it won't be valid. That tripped me up once. You have to wait for the old one to expire to begin using the new one.

Mine exp in march next year also. I filed 2 weeks ago. the DCJIS sent me a reminder card and stated that due to a large volume coming in that I should take care of it as soon as possible. so I took care of it. they gave me the paper copy in case its not in in time. but you can not purchase with the paper copy if I remember correctly.

It all depends on the town. My town is very friendly but slow and it took just over 4 months yo get my renewal.

Mine exp in march next year also. I filed 2 weeks ago. the DCJIS sent me a reminder card and stated that due to a large volume coming in that I should take care of it as soon as possible. so I took care of it. they gave me the paper copy in case its not in in time. but you can not purchase with the paper copy if I remember correctly.
Depends where you go. In BP, Dickless, Cabela's expect to be denied buying anything. A real gun shop, some will (the law says OK) and some won't (you can't cure stupidity).

On a slightly different note; I got a postcard in the mail the other day from the DMV. It notified me of my upcoming license renewal and told me I could renew my DL online starting immediately.
So I decided to take them up on it to see just how easy the process was. It was amazingly fast and easy. I even did it on my phone.

Now contrast that with my last LTC renewal which took 11 months.

I ask what is the problem with implementing the same service for LTCs? Probably 90 % of renewal LTC’s could be processed in this way which would ease the burden on the local PD. The other 10% just go through the old channels but it should still be a much faster process because the bulk of renewal LTC’s would not be bogging down the system. So no more excuses.

It would be awesome if MA followed the path Utah went for renewals. Online portal, upload of required documents, Credit Card payment with no crazy fees.

Back
Top Bottom