Renewing expired FID

I've been searching around and can't seem to find the answer to this scenario.

I had a resident FID originally and then moved out of state and let it expire. I just moved back and need an FID again, am I applying for a renewal or de novo application? If I do a new application do I have to re-take firearms safety course or is my original certificate still good (or the fact that I had an FID before proves that I took the training)?

Rhetorical question.

You did make the proper notifications when you moved, right?

Leave the thread a few days for the nuanced and brighter minds to answer before talking to the local police.

Best of luck.

Change of Address Information
Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 129B states:

A cardholder shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued such card, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction such cardholder moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of such card.

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 140, section 131(l) states:

Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Click here for the MA form with instructions.

Please note: If you have a valid MA LTC/FID and move out of state you still need to fill out the above mentioned form and send it to the Firearms Record Bureau. (FRB)

Last edited:
I've been searching around and can't seem to find the answer to this scenario.

I had a resident FID originally and then moved out of state and let it expire. I just moved back and need an FID again, am I applying for a renewal or de novo application? If I do a new application do I have to re-take firearms safety course or is my original certificate still good (or the fact that I had an FID before proves that I took the training)?
Just go for the LTC (if 21y/o)

If I do a new application do I have to re-take firearms safety course or is my original certificate still good (or the fact that I had an FID before proves that I took the training)?
Varies by town. I foolishly let mine expire and the police chief had me retake the course, even though I had received my first unrestricted LTC over 35 years prior to the renewal. FWIW, it's a great motivation to not let the current one expire.

Back
Top Bottom