Rep. Heroux: Article on Huffington Post

Post the text of the whole thing. Don't give those A holes web hits. Like Boghog, I do not go to Huffington, not now, not ever.

I've clicked the links and read.

"I want to slow down the loose use of correlation as a way to prove or disprove that there is a causal relationship between strict gun laws and gun homicide rates. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. Correlation is not going to answer this question."

Causal relationships...........whatever. The main fact is, and what politicians seem to ignore with all of their bullshit gun laws (for the children) is that criminals don't follow the law. Restrictions and bans on mag sizes or firearms does not mean that the criminal will be shitting themselves because they have a 15 in the mag and 1 in the chamber in a state that only allows for no more than 10 rounds in a gun. If they do get caught, then they can rat out someone they don't like to make it go away. Meanwhile, the regular gun owner gets ass-raped by the state in the name of public safety.

Last year, the AR-15 became the eebilest gun on the planet. It slaughtered thousands of movie patrons in Aurora and meelions of children in Watertown.

Joe Biden suggested that all you need is a shotgun. This years shooters took up his advice.

For whatever it's worth, he reconsidered his previous article after an email discussion he and I had. I pointed out that states like CA, MD and a few others had high "gun violence" rates but strict gun control laws, whereas states like NH, VT, MO and a few others had very low murder rates but little or no gun control laws. So I'm glad to see he posted this.

He's also quite right that correlation != causation. That said, correlation does hint at areas that should be investigated and I would wished he stated that for the typical Huffpo audience.

Very insightful comment, I was hoping that the OP could post maybe a bit of a synopsis. [flip]

Pot meet kettle...

There was a long thread just a few weeks ago regarding Rep. Heroux, based on some of the things posted in that thread, I thought people might be interested in further readings from him.

Clearly you're not interested if you can't be bothered to click a link and read an article.

I'm not employed by Cliff Notes, do your own reading lazy asss.

For whatever it's worth, he reconsidered his previous article after an email discussion he and I had. I pointed out that states like CA, MD and a few others had high "gun violence" rates but strict gun control laws, whereas states like NH, VT, MO and a few others had very low murder rates but little or no gun control laws. So I'm glad to see he posted this.

He's also quite right that correlation != causation. That said, correlation does hint at areas that should be investigated and I would wished he stated that for the typical Huffpo audience.
The recent Quinnipiac study puts some academic meat on the bone for this observation that more restrictive gun laws relate to higher violence.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...s-Assault-Weapons-Ban-Had-Little-to-No-Effect

Posting stuff like this on Hufferpost - is a GOOD thing, because he's dumping a big turd in the liberal punch-bowl.

The typical Hufferpost reader is NEVER going to go out on their own reading this kind of stuff ( which appears constantly on "conservative" type websites)

Posting stuff like this on Hufferpost - is a GOOD thing, because he's dumping a big turd in the liberal punch-bowl. The typical Hufferpost reader is NEVER going to go out on their own reading this kind of stuff ( which appears constantly on "conservative" type websites)

This.

Amazing how much this just flies completely over the heads of some people.

The recent Quinnipiac study puts some academic meat on the bone for this observation that more restrictive gun laws relate to higher violence.

Yeah, and that article is just about good enough to use for toilet paper- no better. The author is a hack.

Violent people use firearms more often to kill than nonviolent people. The laws in place make no difference. There is no correlation in either direction. If you want to stop gun violence, you don't outlaw the guns, you deal with the violent people. But that is expensive and long-term so asshat politicians focus on gun laws because it gets them re-elected. We've seen this all before.

Yeah, and that article is just about good enough to use for toilet paper- no better. The author is a hack.

Violent people use firearms more often to kill than nonviolent people. The laws in place make no difference. There is no correlation in either direction. If you want to stop gun violence, you don't outlaw the guns, you deal with the violent people. But that is expensive and long-term so asshat politicians focus on gun laws because it gets them re-elected. We've seen this all before.
I think your right on with the violent people thing !

And, as such, violent crime or 'gun crime' as the antis like to say, will continue and mass shootings in "gun-free" zones will continue.

I personally think that more restrictive gun laws do lead to more violent crime (in theory criminals are less likely to strike if they think that the target victim is armed), but this can not be proven (causation, that is).

Yes, Heroux, correctly, makes the same point. As I said to him though, the data does show some patterns that I think beg for more research.

Regardless, and I said this to him also, the antis are the main claimants here. They're the ones asking for restrictions based on what they think is a causal link. Therefore they have the burden of proof. So no correlation is a weighed in favor of the gun rights side. The problem is even our court system doesn't get that (see the recent NY SAFE act ruling).

Back
Top Bottom