Replacement 1911 sights?

jbos6

NES Member
A good friend has a stock S&W 1911, but is looking to swap out the sights for something [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] visible. Any recommendations? Night-sights are good, day-visibility plus night-visibility is better.

(Yes, I have looked around here a bit, but can't find any thread on this topic. My apologies if I didn't look hard enough!!)

Sights are truly a personal taste thing. There are dozens of choices. One of the most important thing in terms of visibility is the size of rear notch. Especially for those of us with aging eyes, a larger rear notch often works better.

Second, think about the design of the rear sight. You want your eyes to be drawn to the front sight, not the rear. That is why I absolutely despise Novak sights -- because the rear sight is very busy and it draws your focus to the rear sight. Yes, I have them on one of my guns, and I absolutely can't stand them. See how complicated the Novak rear sight is:

xmodelfacepbw.jpg

Also, see that curvature on the rear of the Novak sights? The problem with a curved surface is that if the sun is coming from behind you or from either side, it will pick up the light and you will have a bright spot on the rear sight reflecting the sun. It isn't very noticeable in that picture because of the subdued lighting, but it can be a real pain out on the range. You can see it a bit in the picture. Notice how the right inside curved portion of the rear sight is lighter than the left, and how the left outside curved portion is lighter than the right outside curved portion? The photographer used very careful lighting for that picture, with filtered light from two different directions to minimize reflection, but the reflection is still there. You won't have that luxury on the range.

Now look at Heinie

3005.jpg

and 10-8
measuringyourrearsight.jpg

See how the serrations reduce reflections? Look at the 10-8 photograph above. Looking at the rear of the slide, you can see how the right rear of the slide is reflecting light back at you, but the sight is not (the predominant lighting is coming from behind your right shoulder in that picture). With that kind of lighting, the rear of the Novak would be reflecting light back at you from the left curved portion.

I prefer either Heinie or 10-8. Personally, my next sights will have a ledge, so that I can cycle the slide easier with one hand, if necessary. But if you prefer it, the Heinie is available with a ramped, non-snag rear sight instead of a ledge. The Heinie shown above is a ramped sight. Here's a 10-8 sight with a ledge:

shapeimage_17.png

You can get the Heinie or 10-8 sights as nightsights, with a tritium insert on front, or front and rear. I'd go with just front, but that's again personal taste.

Last edited:
I'm considering mixing the 10-8 rear sight (so as to have a ledge) with basically any red fiber optic front sight for my futuristic 1911 build. Red fiber optics have worked well for me in low-light, but you don't end up with a real night-sight.

I'm considering mixing the 10-8 rear sight (so as to have a ledge) with basically any red fiber optic front sight for my futuristic 1911 build. Red fiber optics have worked well for me in low-light, but you don't end up with a real night-sight.
You can get a fiber optic that is also a tritium sight: http://www.truglo.com

I vote for the Heinie Slant 8 sights. Small tritium vial in a serrated rear, with a large vial in a serrated front. If I could pick-up a 1911, these would be the sights that I would put on.

Back
Top Bottom