• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Replacement for Surefire M4

Surefire discontinued its M4 light, and no longer makes replacement lamps for it either.

With my last lamp coming up on the end of its life, I guess it's time to chuck the soon-to-be useless light and replace it with something. But I don't know what.

For those that don't know, the M4 is a handheld search light. 350 lumens from an incandescent lamp in a very tight beam.

Is there anything comparable on the market? I don't want LED. I'll be doing my own search, obviously, but I've come to trust the hive mind here on NES.

I would think you could find something for it. Maybe some independent dealers have some old stock. I have the 500 lumen incadescent from Surefire so i think i better start looking now for spares. My favorite light and much preferred over led... for me anyway.

I would think you could find something for it. Maybe some independent dealers have some old stock. I have the 500 lumen incadescent from Surefire so i think i better start looking now for spares. My favorite light and much preferred over led... for me anyway.

You can still get spares on eBay, but I don't like the idea of paying $20+ for lamps that who knows how old, been stored in unknown conditions, and don't come with any sort of manufacturers support.

This is certainly enough to get me to think thrice about spending the premium for a SureFire product knowing they feel no obligation to their existing customer base.

Just wondering, why incandescent over LED? Dimming as an indicator of a low battery is the only semi-advantage I can think of. But I could be missing something else...

Just wondering, why incandescent over LED? Dimming as an indicator of a low battery is the only semi-advantage I can think of. But I could be missing something else...

LEDs, in my experience, don't provide the same punch through fog, dust, rain, snow, etc, as a high powered incandescent can.

I use mostly LED lights for most applications, but in this particular application, LEDs won't match the performance of an incandescent light.

- - - Updated - - -

This is certainly enough to get me to think thrice about spending the premium for a SureFire product knowing they feel no obligation to their existing customer base.

Tell me about it. This thing was not cheap, and to find one day that they've simply abandoned the platform altogether......

I have a Fenix aTK20R (1000 Lum) and a Streamlight Strion (500 Lum), both of which I abuse regularly. Theyre both LED, both about $100, but they can take a thumping. Theres a reason companies like Surefire are abandoning incandescants, so I think paying thru the nose for parts is only going to get worse.

Yup and one or two others make upgrades that are worth the money.

Which incandescent bulb did it take?

MN60 or MN61

And thanks for the input so far, everyone. I found a streamlight that might fit the bill.

Figures, I use their stuff on my guns and at work, but it didn't even occur to me to look at their catalog for this. Oops!

Back
Top Bottom