Request for invite only forums

namedpipes

NES Member
Once in a while a topic arises that really shouldn't be discussed out in the open. Not because it is nefarious or illegal but because it tips the hand to an opposition (I'll use madres wishing for happenings (creatively phrased to avoid searches) as a recent example). Or sometimes the topic just isn't all that interesting to the NES community as a whole. That group of NES'ers that incessantly talk about carving techniques in checkering handgrips, for example.

Does Xen support either a public or green members forum that is invite only? Honestly, even if it required a tiered member system (green @ $21 and royal blue @ $29 or some such) I'd be interested.

We can simulate this to a degree with multi participant "conversation" but there's a hard limit of 20 people. That seems like a lot but you hit the limit quickly, it turns out.

So, @sHORTY , @Admin , is there any chance to incorporate "invite only forums" here, now that the inital chaos moving to Xen seems to have settled down, mostly?

@42! @MachineHead

Understand where you're going - just some clarification. Are you suggesting a forum that you would create, and would be invite only?

If it's simply a matter of upping the conversation participant limit, that's something we could also look into.

I like the idea, could even do it as needing "sponsors" who can vouch for you to gain entrance.

I think the OP is looking at it as a members only section but with vetting of some sort. Anyone can go green, even Maura, so I guess it would be a room for known contributers to go?

The idea is to be able to carry out conversations with better participants. The existing conversations with a higher limit might work.

Basically a forum you can only access when you are joined/invited into a group (I think the "groups" like the milsurp one in the old NES was like that).

I'm not sure of the features of xen so I'm open to other ideas.

I wonder if large conversations might cause some other sort of issue. How the server stores or garbages old messages?

Abuse of other people could rise, so a private, moderated forum might be a better answer.

Whatever you guys can provide that approximates what I'm suggesting would be a good step.

Do you really want a database of private conversations which can still ultimately be obtained via a court order?

Do you really want a database of private conversations which can still ultimately be obtained via a court order?

How's that different from a regular forum here or private conversations?

Look, I'm not suggesting it so people can plot how to overthrow the gubbermint or plan a bank heist. Still there are topics that don't need to be openly public, either because it's nobody's business or because the scope of interest is quite narrow and who cares but the participants?

I once wondered why we were having a conversation about a sensitive subject after a reporter had openly identified himself in the thread, and was basically told to STFU. I was a noobie then so did as I was told. Glad to see someone else thinking along the same lines.

I think this is a great idea since anything here is searchable by search engine and thus would give away any ideas for rallies or marches in the planning stages. It’s obvious that nothing illegal is going to be done, but it helps to coordinate with other trusted NESers for meet ups.

I just worry about a tree of private forums discussing campaign or litigation strategy in one place which then gets subpoenaed. Then the opposition has all the information in one fell swoop, since we know a subpoena or warrant is never going to be specific to the one subforum set up for each event, case, strategy, etc.

Look how we all know the PR people and main financial backers for gun control. But the fixers, whips, and real puppet masters & kingpins behind the curtain, directing the back room lobbying and coordination aren't typically well known, if at all, to even the most active people on the forum. The shadowy cabal calling all the shots has a lot of power because the main supporters writing the checks, politicians, media, and front groups can easily deny it exists.

Those people have meetings at private parties, golf outings, and other events where everyone else is none-the-wiser that a planning or coordination session is taking place.

Last edited:
How's that different from a regular forum here or private conversations?

Look, I'm not suggesting it so people can plot how to overthrow the gubbermint or plan a bank heist. Still there are topics that don't need to be openly public, either because it's nobody's business or because the scope of interest is quite narrow and who cares but the participants?

I don't know but does the PM system do this already? Or, are you talking about entire sub-topics?

The downside to the "invite only" plan is if you are trying to get members to attend an event or do a little stealthy trolling you need to find a way to get word out to those that might be up for the event. Invite only is limiting and with the recent event it would have been hard to know who to invite if the OP didn't have the original thread to find participants.

I suppose a more vague general message in the open forum letting people know something is going on in a certain area and who to PM to get in on the event could work.

Someone privately commented there's a possibility that some people might "withdraw" into a private world here and exclude (whether or not meaning to) their brainshare from the rest of us.

That's certainly possible, although the intent is more to discuss sensitive topics that aren't illegal or conspiracy but also not really appropriate for the "world" to eavesdrop on.

Smokey7, maybe a forum containing the private threads with one open, sticky thread naming the "very" general topics and who to contact? Complicated code-wise but yes, that solves "how do they know what to join".

Is the PM system now set up to let others invite folks to your conversation.
I have several PMs that have multiple players. Discussing things amongst ourselves.

I was a mod on a SO’s .mil type site that had a similar set-up, I’m still a member there but most have moved over to FB and I just can’t go there.

The private room was invite only and the forum header was not visible to those who weren’t vetted into that particular room, so it was completely invisible if you weren’t a member.

We had simple rules; invite only, you had to receive a 100% Yes vote from the members already there (if 20 guys said yes and 01 said no, then they were not allowed into the room) no topics or discussions about illegal activities, and if any member (invitee) ever spoke of or even mentioned the private room or the conversations had in there to other non-vetted members they would be banned immediately from the entire site. Discretion and integrity were key to keeping it that way.

Last edited:
I think we had private forums years ago. As I recall they were a moderation nightmare and Derek killed them. People tend to behave like jackasses when they think it's "private."

If you want truly private (or as close as you can get in the electronic space) you need something like Signal.

I always thought a no rules, call out/troll sub forum would be kind of fun. Something you have to acknowledge a disclaimer or be invited into, but you know you are going to get your feelings hurt in there, no crying about what is said and no infractions or bans would come out of there.

Then I think back to the Epic Threads thread, remember how much of a pain in the ass that had to be for the mods and why it was ultimately shut down.

Along this same vein. I have been toying the idea of hosting an opensource Twitter like clone and opening it up for NES / invited use .

If for nothing other than an unfiltered feed source for announcements.

Yes sir. It’s a place to regularly meet and greet where nobody can hide behind the computer and actually risk getting punched in the mouth if you can’t act like a respectful human being. [cheers][slap]

We've never had a disrespectful human being attend any of our get-togethers. Those that behave like idiots online don't show at any in-person events (or at least they don't behave that way in person), and I've been to very many of NES events since the beginning of this forum.

I always thought a no rules, call out/troll sub forum would be kind of fun. Something you have to acknowledge a disclaimer or be invited into, but you know you are going to get your feelings hurt in there, no crying about what is said and no infractions or bans would come out of there.

Then I think back to the Epic Threads thread, remember how much of a pain in the ass that had to be for the mods and why it was ultimately shut down.

A bike forum I belong to have this sort of set up.....it is interesting for sure.

Back
Top Bottom