Request your firearms transaction history In MA

I did it. Don't be shocked if it is not complete, especially if you bought in the onion skin (paper EF10's) era. I had a situation where I purchased a firearm new, sold it to a friend, and then bought it back from him so that serial number appears twice.

Remember it logs purchases, not sales, so it will list everything you have ever bought in this state.

I did it. Don't be shocked if it is not complete, especially if you bought in the onion skin (paper EF10's) era. I had a situation where I purchased a firearm new, sold it to a friend, and then bought it back from him so that serial number appears twice.

Remember it logs purchases, not sales, so it will list everything you have ever bought in this state.

I'm still trying to figure out 20 years later why they even bother. How about you assume that everyone that has a LTC owns at least one gun.

It isn't like your are going to do an E-FA10 if you sell a gun to a criminal. So the whole system is a waste.

"Prove to us you don't own these guns" is pretty meaningless when your own system has more holes in it than the Titanic.

Honestly, it's one of those times I really welcome the incompetence of government. Tracking something like this would be VERY easy in the private sector. They can't even handle it.

These are the same people that put in a fingerprint scanner for FFL transactions. . . . which was written in an obsolete OS even before it was put out there. Suddenly, several years later it no longer works! So their "safety" measure to be sure someone doesn't steal your LTC and buy a gun (because that happens ones of times every couple of decades) is to give you a PIN. . . . which we all promptly write on the back of our LTC next to our signature!

The lists are not accurate. When I checked mine a few years back they had me owning guns that I had sold or traded. What I thought was kind of funny was I bought two guns from the same dealer at the same time. One gun I had traded for a shotgun later on. The other I still had. The gun on my list that I traded (at a dealer) they still had me owning it. The other gun was not on their list. But they had the shotgun on the list. That was just a few of the errors that I saw. As a side note I was told (now remember this was 7 or 8 years ago now) that if someone starts pulling up your list to often it raises a red flag at the ATF and they start inquiring and asking questions as to why someone's list is being brought up so often. For the most part what a P.D. or any one else is going to look for is if your LTC is valid and they don't go by the list. Yes their are exceptions but that is the general rule.

It is an (incomplete) list of purchases, it does not remove sales. It also only lists serial numbers, not model and type. I did it for a hoot, and they also sent me renewal dates for my license back to the early 80's

Waste of money. Hasn’t even been close to accurate since it started.

The lists are not accurate. When I checked mine a few years back they had me owning guns that I had sold or traded. What I thought was kind of funny was I bought two guns from the same dealer at the same time. One gun I had traded for a shotgun later on. The other I still had. The gun on my list that I traded (at a dealer) they still had me owning it. The other gun was not on their list. But they had the shotgun on the list. That was just a few of the errors that I saw. As a side note I was told (now remember this was 7 or 8 years ago now) that if someone starts pulling up your list to often it raises a red flag at the ATF and they start inquiring and asking questions as to why someone's list is being brought up so often. For the most part what a P.D. or any one else is going to look for is if your LTC is valid and they don't go by the list. Yes their are exceptions but that is the general rule.
How is this connected to the ATF?

As a side note I was told (now remember this was 7 or 8 years ago now) that if someone starts pulling up your list to often it raises a red flag at the ATF and they start inquiring and asking questions as to why someone's list is being brought up so often.
ATF doesn't have access to that list nor do they care about it.

It is an (incomplete) list of purchases, it does not remove sales. It also only lists serial numbers, not model and type. I did it for a hoot, and they also sent me renewal dates for my license back to the early 80's
^^^This!

How is this connected to the ATF?
It isn't. Another "grandmother's tale"!

I've done it recently.

It logs purchases so it'll have everything you've ever owned. Mine had extra guns I never knew about, I traced one down to some dope at cabellas that registered a gun under the wrong sn to me.

I wonder if there's a way for a person to wash the list clean.
Nope, even though my guns are in NH and shortly I will no longer be a MA resident, they will never delete that data . . . and I don't care.

This would be the same data that the PD have access to on a traffic stop?
Yes, if they make that query from the cruiser. But it is fairly useless data, not showing brand/model, just S/N unless you dig down on each entry.

Think of it this way folks, If the list is faulty and they know it, it can not be used as evidence. So if they are are not smart enough to fix it, Don't be dumb enough to help them.

Back
Top Bottom