Restore an Old Console Radio?

ToddDubya

NES Member
Anyone ever restore an old radio? I've had my grandfather's old console radio for years and just enjoy it as a piece of art/furniture, but never even bothered to look closely at the dial. And I've definitely never turned it on for fear of dried up caps. I have no idea if it's fully functional but I have memories of him listening to baseball games on it, so I'm reasonably sure it should work. I'll give it some thought before I attempt anything. I'd rather have it intact and not working that damage it at all.

Aside from dust, the electronics look to be in decent shape, meaning no evidence of bug/rodent/water problems. I might try blowing it out with the compressor and see how it looks.

I'd also entertain paying to have it restored if it didn't break the bank. So if anyone knows of a place within reasonable driving distance of Western MA, let me know. A quick search turned up Golden Age Radios north of Boston.

I've found a schematic online that I'm downloading. You can only get 3 pages per day from this site so it'll take a few days to get them all. But so far I have the schematic and parts list.

Pardon the dust, I'm a scumbag.

1715564858264.png

1715564902974.png

Definitely get it playing again. You can call it your EMP-proof SHTF radio. But, think twice about restoring the woodwork. I agree with the philosophy of the antique furniture people. You can restore something 100 times, but it is original only once.

My grandparents didn't have a cat. I want to know whose cat scratched it. I had cats, but they didn't do stuff like that.

If you are going to do it yourself, start by blowing it out with low pressure compressed air, then replacing any electrolytic capacitors first, then move on to resistors and non electrolytic capacitors that have likely changed values over the years. Lube the main tuning dial capacitor with a drop of oil on each end and any journals as it's most likely a "ganged" capacitor.
Then check the tubes.

That would be an excellent radio to restore, it has just about the whole HF band covered. I cannot even imagine how many of that type of set ended up in landfill dumps over the years. They are all collectables now.

What is the make and model?

Last edited:
If you are going to do it yourself, start by blowing it out with low pressure compressed air, the replacing any electrolytic capacitors first, then move on to resistors that have likely changed values over the years. Lube the main tuning dial capacitor with a drop of oil on each end and any journals as it's most likely a "ganged" capacitor.
Then check the tubes.

That would be an excellent radio to restore, it has just about the whole HF band covered. I cannot even imagine how many of that type of set ended up in landfill dumps over the years. They are all collectables now.

What is the make and model?

Exactly this.

That looks really cool.

When you say restore you're in two worlds- the guy who's going to restore the electronics probably won't be the guy you want to restore the wood and vice versa.

I've always wanted to restore a radio myself- as much as I like these large units I'd prefer something more kitchen sized.

Also love to find a ww2 station in rough shape and be able to refurb it for more modern use and use it for reenecting events, maybe set it up to switch between a transmitter and a .mp3 player- basically have demos and play wartime chatter and popular radio during the in between times.

Bit jealous man. On the bright side, I'm looking at picking up a very cool brandy cabinet this week.

It's an RCA Victor 8K.

Capacitor values are in MF and MMF. I had to look that up, which fortunately I did. I assumed MF = mF and MMF = uF and I would have been very wrong.

1mfd / uF capacitors_in_stock
1000nF​
1000000pF(MMFD)​

That looks really cool.

When you say restore you're in two worlds- the guy who's going to restore the electronics probably won't be the guy you want to restore the wood and vice versa.

I've always wanted to restore a radio myself- as much as I like these large units I'd prefer something more kitchen sized.

Also love to find a ww2 station in rough shape and be able to refurb it for more modern use and use it for reenecting events, maybe set it up to switch between a transmitter and a .mp3 player- basically have demos and play wartime chatter and popular radio during the in between times.

Bit jealous man. On the bright side, I'm looking at picking up a very cool brandy cabinet this week.
Yeah, by restore I mean "get working". For all the reasons mentioned in this thread I don't want to mess with the cabinet. If it was wrecked, I might consider it, but it's in pretty good shape for an antique and has character.

We'll see where I get with this. Lord knows I don't need another project.

Easy to restore. Should have very few components. I would be mostly concerned about the power supply, as the high side that drives the tubes is probably 500V. Would be good to convert to ground planed if possible.

1715613051480.jpeg

Start by replacing C36 and C37 first, those are the main power supply electrolytic filter capacitors. Both values are readily available.

Some contact cleaner spray on all the band switches and control potentiometers too.

A 1khz tone signal injector would be very useful in going stage to stage to see if/where signal is lost. Input to output at each stage. Work backwards from the speaker circuit.

It's an RCA Victor 8K.

Capacitor values are in MF and MMF. I had to look that up, which fortunately I did. I assumed MF = mF and MMF = uF and I would have been very wrong.

1mfd / uF capacitors_in_stock
1000nF​
1000000pF(MMFD)​

And resistors are in K ohms IRRC. It’s been awhile.
I also put a 10 ohm high wattage resistor (10W?) dropper resistor in-line to drop the 120vac a little as the line voltage back then was only 110 vac.

If you pm me a picture of the back plate or sticker with the makers info and model number I can see if I can source a schematic for you.

Another good cap resource
Replacing Capacitors in Old Radios and TVs

I also put a 10 ohm high wattage resistor (10W?) dropper resistor in-line to drop the 120vac a little as the line voltage back then was only 110 vac.

If you pm me a picture of the back plate or sticker with the makers info and model number I can see if I can source a schematic for you.

Schematic is available, do a search for RCA Victor Model 8k.

The schematic covers about 5 different models.

I got some of the schematics/manual but if you have something better I'll take it. Not the best picture of inside the cabinet. I can no longer work the camera on my phone I guess. The flash didn't want to flash.

1715615489849.png

I got some of the schematics/manual but if you have something better I'll take it. Not the best picture of inside the cabinet. I can no longer work the camera on my phone I guess. The flash didn't want to flash.

View attachment 880593

Lots of info here including reference measurements and alignment procedures if needed.

RCA Radio Schematics

@Uzi2 post #12 will get you started.

My very first electronics project when I was a wee lad was restoring an old Philco floor model radio I found at the dump. There was a TV repair guy in town that helped me out. That thing had a huge speaker in it that sounded SO good for it's age. I went on to do a few more over the years.

That coil in the blue circle is a double duty part...one part it plays is a filter choke for the power supply...it's also the field winding for the speaker. If you have to replace the speaker you'll have to do some magic to replace it but there are ways.

Now a days there are some great places on line to buy parts for older electronics. I have used Antique Electronic Supply for years when repairing vintage radios and guitar amps. They used to be called Antique Electronics Supply but they branched out into more modern stuff so they changed their name. Have fun!

Speakers can be sent out to be re-coned as well. I have even repaired rips with tissue and white glue which works out really well.

These old units have a beautiful sound.

I have a Crosley 66TC to do for a friend but it has become a project because someone tried to rewire the output and burned some stuff up in the AF amplifier stage.

I also have a Philco 18b to do for me but Philco’s can be a PIA the way the put their components in Bakelite capsules. I always loved those old cathedral radios.

What I really need is more time like everyone else.😆

If this was in 'off topic' i bet @Skysoldier would have responded by now. I would not do much to the cabinet as far holding the value as an antique. It's gorgeous. Best of luck with your choice of repair or restoration.

Replacing caps is easy......
and finding NOS tubes is also easy......
But the hardest part of restoring radios that old is realigning the IF section. A lot of those IF transformers change with age, and can be very frustrating and hard to replace!
The one good thing in your favor is that it is made by RCA, so there is hope.
I could give you a lot of tips if I saw the whole schemstic, but was glad to at least see that RCA spent the money on a Transformer for the AC input so you don't have to worry about having a "Hot Chassis" if you reverse the power plug!

There are a slew of Facebook groups that cover restoration. Before you turn it on, check with them. They can teach you.

Speakers can be sent out to be re-coned as well. I have even repaired rips with tissue and white glue which works out really well.

These old units have a beautiful sound.

I have a Crosley 66TC to do for a friend but it has become a project because someone tried to rewire the output and burned some stuff up in the AF amplifier stage.

I also have a Philco 18b to do for me but Philco’s can be a PIA the way the put their components in Bakelite capsules. I always loved those old cathedral radios.

What I really need is more time like everyone else.😆
One thing I learned working in the pro sound repair business was how to recone speakers...it's not real hard but a bit "fiddly". I have a set of JBL PA speakers set up in my barn that I reconed many years ago....the kits were fairly expensive (cause JBL :confused:) but were still far cheaper than trying to source new/good used 15" JBL drivers. Now they are pretty much unobtainium (the speakers).

I have a few old Fender square-back speakers (circa mid 60's) that need to be reconed and also some Altec Lansing 15" speakers from the same era that need it too. I really need to get my shop put back together so I can do this stuff.

FYI...for DIYers, speaker recone glues and tools...

Last edited:
One thing I learned working in the pro sound repair business was how to recone speakers...it's not real hard but a bit "fiddly". I have a set of JBL PA speakers set up in my barn that I reconed many years ago....the kits were fairly expensive (cause JBL :confused:) but were still far cheaper than trying to source new/good used 15" JBL drivers. Now they are pretty much unobtainium (the speakers).

I have a few old Fender square-back speakers (circa mid 60's) that need to be reconed and also some Altec Lansing 15" speakers from the same era that need it too. I really need to get my shop put back together so I can do this stuff.

FYI...for DIYers, speaker recone glues and tools...

Awesome. Great information.

Back
Top Bottom