• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Returning Resident

I was issued a MA LTC in 2012. I moved to NH in 2014, and notified my local PD. I’ve now moved back to MA. Do I need to re-apply for a new permit even though my original LTC was valid until 2018? Do I need to take the safety class again?

I was issued a MA LTC in 2012. I moved to NH in 2014, and notified my local PD. I’ve now moved back to MA. Do I need to re-apply for a new permit even though my original LTC was valid until 2018? Do I need to take the safety class again?
That's the way it should work. Of course that assumes that the issuing authority of your 2012 license followed through and expired it or took other action to make it inactive. That doesn't always happen. We've seen cases where a PD will issue a suspension or revocation letter, collect the physical license, but not take any other action. The license remains active in MIRCS. While you can have multiple licenses, LTC & FID for instance, you can only have one license of each type. Probably not an issue. If you're moving back to the same town, they may just reissue you your original license.

That's the way it should work. Of course that assumes that the issuing authority of your 2012 license followed through and expired it or took other action to make it inactive. That doesn't always happen. We've seen cases where a PD will issue a suspension or revocation letter, collect the physical license, but not take any other action. The license remains active in MIRCS. While you can have multiple licenses, LTC & FID for instance, you can only have one license of each type. Probably not an issue. If you're moving back to the same town, they may just reissue you your original license.
I never received any type of response to my change of address and I’ve moved back to a different town. Are you saying that normally I would have to start all over?

I ran into a similar situation. Moved to Pa for 2 years - had notified my town, etc... when I moved back, I called local PD and they looked up my license - it was still valid and all I had to do was another change of address process. YMMV

I ran into a similar situation. Moved to Pa for 2 years - had notified my town, etc... when I moved back, I called local PD and they looked up my license - it was still valid and all I had to do was another change of address process. YMMV
I’m hoping I’ll be in the same situation. Thanks for the info.

A distinct possibility.

OP, go to the online eFA-10 system and put your LTC # and PIN in and see if it shows as valid. If so, merely do another change of address to issuing PD, new PD and FRB by Certified Mail (return receipt suggested) and you'll be Good-to-Go. If it shows as invalid, you need to apply over again, pay the fee and follow what other hoops your PD requires.

Nobody's looking at the real issue here. Why is the OP moving back to MA? If I were his chief I'd deem him unsuitable based on his inability to make good life choices.

Just busting your balls, Outlaw. I have nothing of substance to add.

I agree.

This is why you don't flip the bird at the rules when you leave. A simple letter stating your moving out of state could go a long way.
You never know if you have to come back.

UPDATE: Contacted my local PD and my LTC is still active. Already sent my change of address to the 3 authorities, and working on my renewal for June. Thanks to all for the input.

So this raises a question. If you moved out of state and notified the town as directed, but your license is still valid.....could you carry in MA with said license? Asking for a friend.

I would guess that yes you could. It’s still valid. However, if you ever had to use your weapon, I wonder if you’d be in trouble legally.

Back
Top Bottom