• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Returns for Warranty

ridleyman

NES Member
Most of the guns I've owned have been great, with only occasional adjustments that I could handle on my own. However, there are a few exceptions that I'd like to share.

Several years ago, I had to send back an S&W 1911 .45 because when I returned the slide to battery, the hammer would follow and come down. Luckily, I learned this on an empty chamber. And, I had to send it back a 2nd time until they did it right.

I had a Ruger Single Ten that had to have the cylinder replaced because it jammed and wouldn't revolve. Fixed.

I also had a Springfield M1A where the charging handle would pull out easily when I wasn't disassembling it. Springfield fixed it fine.

Finally, I bought a newer S&W M63 in .22, from an elderly NESer (😡), and it turned out not to revolve, kind of like the Ruger. I sent it back, S&W fixed it, and like the others I have since sold it. Since then I bought a M63 made in the 80s, with only 6 shots, but it's beautiful stainless and works fine. I had to tighten the cylinder extractor rod, but now it's great.

These 4 gun problems are out of the more than 50 I have owned in the past or currently own, so not too bad a record, I suppose, even though it's a big PITA to send them back. Incidentally, all of the gun companies fixed and returned the guns quickly, SA within 2 weeks as I remember,

Feel free to share your gun issues.

As always, I hope this thread hasn't been done before! 😲

Sent my P32 back because of a hammer issue. If you didn't squeeze the trigger with authority, it wouldn't go bang.

I've got a Bushy Carbon15 that has FTE problems. I've yet to send it back. I got it used. The guy totally lied to me. But they were rare as hen's teeth and are very VERY light.

I think that's it. I'm trying to think of another one. And I can't.

Ruger re barreled my 7 year old sp101 that had an eroded forcing cone. While it was there they cleaned it to like new and polished out all the handling marks. Total time gone 2 weeks.

Henry 357 steel carbine. Jamomatic from the get go. Sent it back and they adjusted the lifter timing, polished the feed ramp, and put a new extractor on. Total time gone 3 weeks. Runs perfect

Those are my only gun issues out of over 30 owned.

The only gun that I've sent in for warranty (not gunsmithing with a gunsmith of my choice) was a Zastava M57A imported and warrantied through Century. While shooting, the pistol would drop the mag on its own. So "bang, bang, bang, BLOOP NO MAG! MAG CRASHES ON FLOOR/SHOOTING BENCH!" The pistol would also fail to eject, about one every one hundred rounds.

Century fixed the "look ma! no mag!" issue but the FTEs never got fixed to the point where I'd comfortably say "yes! carry this gun with confidence!" I still have 7.62x25 hollowpoints in the event I find a reliable enough Tokarev to carry and I get drunk enough to consider the idea.

Traded the pistol for... something? Haven't had it in years.

I've sent back a .460 XVR that was out of time, S&W replaced the cylinder. No charge and paid shipping both ways.
Same for a M&P 15/22 that had the bolt come apart.

Back in the 80s, I also had a 6906 go full auto on me when the firing pin got stuck just about 1/8th of an inch proud of the breechface. Needless to say S&W was eager to get that gun back.

I sent a Glock 43 back that I had put together incorrectly. I realized that about a day after I put it in the mail.
Glock paid shipping both ways and sent me a free mag for my "troubles".

I had a Les Baer Premier II in .45 ACP that needed an extractor at 15,000 rounds. Baer paid shipping home, but I had to get it there. Fortunately I was an FFL at the time so It only cost me $15 to ship it USPS Flat Rate Box.

Most of the guns I have purchased in the last few years gone back. I'm almost at the point I don't want to buy anything, because it is going to have some issue.

I have no respect for any MFG gunsmiths, more like parts swappers, I don't believe they actually understand how and why thier firearms function. I send it to the MFG before attempting to fix it myself, just out of principle.

I'm sure I'm missing some.

New Savage BA 110 Stealth - Rail screws were too short, losen at ~30 rounds, they sent it back with the same short screws. Gun also shot like crap, 1st and last Savage. I fixed it myself with the right length screws

New Ruger LC9S Pro - Mags would jam going in, Slide would lock back when firing Federal HST 124GR. They fixed the mag issue, did not fix the slide issue. Sent it back again, still didn't fix the slide issue. They never tested with the Federal HST ammo, used critical defense. Again, fixed it myself, the slide stop spring was too weak, bent it, reinstalled, issue solved.

New Marlin 1895 Guide gun - Incomplete brushing of stainless on the receiver, sharp edges, cut my finer open on the trigger and the lever. I had to sand, blend finished and perform an entire action job on the rifle.

New Sig 938 - damage to rear sight out of the box, firing pin spring broke after 1000rd. They would not send me the spring or let me buy one. I had to send the entire firearm to them.

New Sig 1911, front sight tritium died within a year. I had to send the entire firearm back, they wouldn't send me a sight. The replacement sight died within another year.

New German gunstock - they forgot to install the bottom front rail. They sent it to me and I had to install it.

New FNX -45 - After 1000rd round frame split at front, replaced by FNH.

New Ruger Hawkeye FTW Hunter - Internal cracks through wood stock from the factory. Sent to factory, they replaced the stock, did a crap job and then sent me a note stating that they can crack and this is normal.

New Shield 45 2.0 4" - When firing 230 Federal HST, round would jam on loading ramp, not feed lip. Sent it to factory, got it back, no improvement. Compared my 1.0 vs 2.0, loading ramp had a different shape, recontoured the 2.0 ramp to match the 1.0. Problem fixed, though will only function with the 2.0 mags, not the 1.0. S&W claims there is no difference in mags.

New Henry Big Boy, lose front foregrip (poor fit). - Haven't sent it back yet, I just don't want to deal with it.

Out of all the guns I own, I've had very little to send back.

I have two Taurus's (that should explain everything in itself)

The first one the recoil spring guide slips out of position took them 3 tries to not fix it.
The second one had fingerprints in the finish and there was something else I can't recall. They replaced the parts and it works fine.

I bought a Henry .22 lever directly from Henry. (Special deal for NRA instructors) It came in with heavy rust on the barrel crown all the way back over the front sight. Called Henry, they sent me a return label and I had it back with a new barrel and sight in less than 5 days from the day I sent it out.

I sent back a Ruger MK1 because I forgot to pull the trigger before disassembling it and jammed the whole thing up. I learned a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom