Reusing mundane stuff

We've all probably used fishing line for a bunch of things besides fishing, like tying stuff, or did projects in school where we grew plants using a can or yogurt container as a pot.

Anyone have any other uses for the previously mentioned items, or use other items for tasks that could be helpful in SHTF scenario?

We used tie fishing line across the street at eye level when sitting in a car. A car would come up the street and when it got close enough to illuminate the line, the driver would freak and slam on the brakes. After a couple weeks of this, they got wise to use and just drove through the line. So we then hung ferns or small branches from the line. After a few nights they wised up again. So we then dunked the ferns and branches in latex house paint.
We got caught when they matched the color of the paint to the trim on my buddies house.

Continuing here talking about fishing line and pranks [smile] ... I like using it along with pull string fireworks. Some people call them perimeter alarms, they come in boxes of 20 or so and look like a tiny firecracker with a string coming out each end.
I used to stretch them along walk ways at work with fishing line tied to the strings to make a long trip wire that would yank the strings and set off the firework. It scares the hell outa people.[laugh]
I guess these could be used in a survival situation now that I think about it. The loud pop they make would alert you that someone had crossed into an area.

Of course light pound test line could also be used to sew up a wound and heavier pound test can be used for mending fabrics.

I use fishing line, electrical and glass tape wrapped around an old prescription pill bottle in different sections, filling the prescription bottle with small survival items. Been making these since Boy Scout Survival Merit Badge and have found them to be handy - just toss into a bag or glove box. Will post a pic of one when I get my digital camera back.

Bumping this because during gun cleaning today I found out all the cleaning rods I had were too big for the .22, so I cobbled together a bore snake out of fishing line and an old T-shirt.

Empty kitty litter buckets.

Round or square, the lids will seal up tight. Great for storage / transport.

I keep assorted hand tools in them out in the garage.

We use then for trips to the pick your own apples / blueberries place.

They make good dry storage containers for things like a change of clothes in the back of a work truck, or a bug out bag. Nobody pays any aattention to them because its a kitty litter bucket.

Each holds roughly four to five gallons depending on size. If SHTF the cleanest ones can be given a bleach rinse and used for potable water storage.

Not so clean buckets can still be filled and used to refill flush toilets.

We used fishing line for a gag too......run the line across a street to get the length right, add 8-10 ft more to both ends. Tie up a bunch of tin cans to the ends of the line. Run the line at grill height back across the street at night. Cars would come along at 35-40 mph, catch the line and start dragging the cans behind making a bunch of noise. Drivers and passengers had no clue what happened and pull over like there was some big problem....we'd sit in the bushes laughing our butts off......

We used fishing line for a gag too......run the line across a street to get the length right, add 8-10 ft more to both ends. Tie up a bunch of tin cans to the ends of the line. Run the line at grill height back across the street at night. Cars would come along at 35-40 mph, catch the line and start dragging the cans behind making a bunch of noise. Drivers and passengers had no clue what happened and pull over like there was some big problem....we'd sit in the bushes laughing our butts off......

[shocked] Problem is, if a biker or bicyclist happens along they're looking at a trip to the hospital, or worse.

[shocked] Problem is, if a biker or bicyclist happens along they're looking at a trip to the hospital, or worse.

True. An environmentalist killed a mountain biker in british columbia by using high test fishing line strung across a man made mtn bike trail....he meant to dissuade them by causing them to crash, ended up decapitating a guy who was doing 25+mph and took the line across his trhroat.

Back
Top Bottom