• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Review of the lyman trim xpress case trimmer

So i am a newish reloader for the forums and after using this product tonight i was really happy. I decided to do a review for everyone here, and i usually do not post reviews.
i am used to doing small batch case trimming with the Lee Case Length Gauge & Cutter and Lock Stud. That is a time consuming pain in the ass but produces great results. I would usually have to debur the case mouth after using the lee.

after purchasing 450 30-06 cases and doing a few with lee i was finished with all the lock stud business. looked online and giraud trimmers did not have the caliber for 8mm. unless i wanted to buy a super expensive system. Worlds finest trimmer did have my caliber but wanted 100 dollars for the setup that chucks onto your drill. which then you have to think ok, i have to jerry rig a drill up to stay on in a vice i do not have....

there was a system out there for trimmer that basically did have an all in one setup, but again super expensive.
then i saw it,
1588124816456.png
It was all in one, turn it on, and just rest your hand on top while you shove cases into it. in addition for the price it came with close to 25 caliber seating collets. sure if one day i want to do .223, or 308 i can without issue. It says it is adjustable it says to .001 and the dial is pretty easy to turn, for quick adjustments. but i do not really see how it is .001 adjustable. sure i see more of a .01 adjustment being very easy to get. but i am new at this kind of trimmer so in the future i may be able to trim my brass to a precise .001 but i need more time.

fast forward to tonight. After using the cut off saw from harbor freight to get it cut close to 8mm length and tumbling all the trim form sizing lube off the cases. i decided to use the trimmer. it took a little bit of learning curve but once you go slowly letting the carbide bit eat away at the case, it works really well. You can not just jam the case into the bit because it will want to grab. If you go slow it leaves no burrs and the trim line is not sharp at all and leaves it smooth, no chatter marks. you could literally stop there if you did not want to chamfer.

for mixed headstamp 30-06 that was cut down to 8mm mauser the numbers i have for a few grabbed out of the pile are as follows. I figured the re-loaders out there will want some cold hard numbers for accuracy.
2.233 ,2.233, 2.229, 2.229
2.229, 2.230, 2.230, 2.229
2.230, 2.229, 2.231, 2.230
2.231, 2.230, 2.228, 2.231
2.232, 2.232, 2.230, 2.230

these all sit just flush with my wilson case gauge and i am happy at that. possible sources of variances in the shoulder datum line of the case could effect the trim
i figure for the amount of time saved over a hand crank system i am fairly happy. I will say just like most reviews on fast trimmers, is wear the rubber coated garden gloves. that helps a lot with the control.
for everyone who wants a good trimmer. you can take a look at this review and maybe i have helped you today in deciding for a large batch trimmer for whatever caliber you are reloading for.

Last edited:
for everyone who wants a good trimmer. you can take a look at this review and maybe i have helped you today in deciding for a large batch trimmer for whatever caliber you are reloading fo
I assume you still have to chamfer and debur the cases?

So i am a newish reloader for the forums and after using this product tonight i was really happy. I decided to do a review for everyone here, and i usually do not post reviews.
i am used to doing small batch case trimming with the Lee Case Length Gauge & Cutter and Lock Stud. That is a time consuming pain in the ass but produces great results. I would usually have to debur the case mouth after using the lee.

after purchasing 450 30-06 cases and doing a few with lee i was finished with all the lock stud business. looked online and giraud trimmers did not have the caliber for 8mm. unless i wanted to buy a super expensive system. Worlds finest trimmer did have my caliber but wanted 100 dollars for the setup that chucks onto your drill. which then you have to think ok, i have to jerry rig a drill up to stay on in a vice i do not have....

there was a system out there for trimmer that basically did have an all in one setup, but again super expensive.
then i saw it,
View attachment 352719
It was all in one, turn it on, and just rest your hand on top while you shove cases into it. in addition for the price it came with close to 25 caliber seating collets. sure if one day i want to do .223, or 308 i can without issue. It says it is adjustable it says to .001 and the dial is pretty easy to turn, for quick adjustments. but i do not really see how it is .001 adjustable. sure i see more of a .01 adjustment being very easy to get. but i am new at this kind of trimmer so in the future i may be able to trim my brass to a precise .001 but i need more time.

fast forward to tonight. After using the cut off saw from harbor freight to get it cut close to 8mm length and tumbling all the trim form sizing lube off the cases. i decided to use the trimmer. it took a little bit of learning curve but once you go slowly letting the carbide bit eat away at the case, it works really well. You can not just jam the case into the bit because it will want to grab. If you go slow it leaves no burrs and the trim line is not sharp at all and leaves it smooth, no chatter marks. you could literally stop there if you did not want to chamfer.

for mixed headstamp 30-06 that was cut down to 8mm mauser the numbers i have for a few grabbed out of the pile are as follows. I figured the re-loaders out there will want some cold hard numbers for accuracy.
2.233 ,2.233, 2.229, 2.229
2.229, 2.230, 2.230, 2.229
2.230, 2.229, 2.231, 2.230
2.231, 2.230, 2.228, 2.231
2.232, 2.232, 2.230, 2.230

these all sit just flush with my wilson case gauge and i am happy at that. possible sources of variances in the shoulder datum line of the case could effect the trim
i figure for the amount of time saved over a hand crank system i am fairly happy. I will say just like most reviews on fast trimmers, is wear the rubber coated garden gloves. that helps a lot with the control.
for everyone who wants a good trimmer. you can take a look at this review and maybe i have helped you today in deciding for a large batch trimmer for whatever caliber you are reloading for.
nice, type of set up I would get. I trim a decent amount of brass across several cals. Spending $100 plus on cal specific trimmers does not sit well with me.
Im tossed between buying the power adapter for my RCBS hand crank trimmer or this unit.
i was looking at the Rockford Arsenal of similar design
THanks

Honestly besides price. I do not have any major downside with the product except the spring ring that they put behind the shoulder collars for trimming. You just take it out and it makes trimming easy. The carbide bit will basically never wear out and it is nice and portable

Honestly besides price. I do not have any major downside with the product except the spring ring that they put behind the shoulder collars for trimming. You just take it out and it makes trimming easy. The carbide bit will basically never wear out and it is nice and portable
Im actually surprised with all the tech for brushless motors no one had made a similar set up that you can mount to a press. I look at one of my pro 1000s and think.....i could make a dedicated case trimmer out of that

you could possibly mount this to a press it has holes you could use something like Inline's bench plates and somehow mount it down with wing nuts.

Im actually surprised with all the tech for brushless motors no one had made a similar set up that you can mount to a press. I look at one of my pro 1000s and think.....i could make a dedicated case trimmer out of that

This would fit on my Dillon 650 or Hornady LNL AP Too many moving parts on a single loader but for a dedicated loader maybe

Attachments

• Dillon RT1500 CaseTrimmer.jpg
    Dillon RT1500 CaseTrimmer.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 16
Great review! Somehow I missed it in April. Might have gone this route if I was not already set up with the Little Crow.

Brushless motors are awesome for cordless tools where efficiency is the priority, but I think I'd take a boring old induction motor where 120v AC is convenient. Induction motors keep a given speed regardless of load, right? Either way, I bet you could build a custom one that outperforms any commercial trimmer.

This would fit on my Dillon 650 or Hornady LNL AP Too many moving parts on a single loader but for a dedicated loader maybe
think it would be made smaller these days and how easy is it to change cals, or how much does it coast to change cals?

Brushless motors are awesome for cordless tools where efficiency is the priority, but I think I'd take a boring old induction motor where 120v AC is convenient. Induction motors keep a given speed regardless of load, right? Either way, I bet you could build a custom one that outperforms any commercial trimmer.
If I had the ambition, some scraps , a mill , sure maybe

It is on order from Amazon.

Nice easy and accurate is worth the price from me.

Also just order 500 5.56 shells so I will be able to test it out and see how she goes.

Thanks Queen.

I bought one of these a couple of months ago, and so far I love it. Before that, I trimmed using an RCBS lathe-type, which I had converted to electric power. Still, loading and unloading cases from the collet-style holder was slow and tedious. The Lyman thing is fast, accurate, a snap to set up, relatively quite, and makes nice cuts. I still chamfer trimmed cases inside and out, and even if you elect to skip the outside chamfer, you should do an inside chamfer after trimming just to avoid shaving jacket material off bullets when seating them.

If there is a downside to the Lyman trimmer, it is that it only works on bottleneck cases. OK, I don't trim straight-wall pistol cases, but every once in a while I do have to trim stuff like .45-70. For that, it will be back to the RCBS.

I bought one of these a couple of months ago, and so far I love it. Before that, I trimmed using an RCBS lathe-type, which I had converted to electric power. Still, loading and unloading cases from the collet-style holder was slow and tedious. The Lyman thing is fast, accurate, a snap to set up, relatively quite, and makes nice cuts. I still chamfer trimmed cases inside and out, and even if you elect to skip the outside chamfer, you should do an inside chamfer after trimming just to avoid shaving jacket material off bullets when seating them.

If there is a downside to the Lyman trimmer, it is that it only works on bottleneck cases. OK, I don't trim straight-wall pistol cases, but every once in a while I do have to trim stuff like .45-70. For that, it will be back to the RCBS.
Making a jig to do straight wall wouldn't be too hard
You would need a bushing with the correct ID and a case holder like a half cylinder with a slot feature to locate the rim.

i certainly could use one of these when i'm making 357 herrett from 30-30 brass. after pushing the neck/shoulder back, i lop off the majority of the excess neck with a dremel tool and the cutter wheel then bring it to final spec with lyman hand rotary trimmer. a ton of hand work. and then i have to chamfer inside and out...more work!

Back
Top Bottom