• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolvers

peterk123

NES Member
Thinking about adding a revolver to our collection. I am leaning toward a 22, since it will be our first revolver and because it would be inexpensive to shoot. What would you recommend? The Ruger GP100 looks like a beautiful gun; albeit not the least expensive option.

Thanks Pete

S&W makes a nice ten shot 22 revolver, but it is more expensive than the Ruger offering. I intend to try the GP 100 when they become available in MA.

The Taurus ones are nice guns for cheap. I've fired a few and they seem like good guns. That being said, MA.... So yeah get a Ruger or a Smith if you wanna buy new. Do look around for some of the older .22 revolvers. Iver and JC Higgins made some decent ones you can find for short money.

The Ruger SP101 in .22 LR is $200-300 cheaper than the GP100. I have one of each in .357 but I can't justify the extra price for the GP100 in .22 LR. I bought the SP101 for my .22 LR revolver.

I have a GP100 in 22lr. Its a solid revolver with very good barrel length, sights and accuracy. The SP101 in 22lr has a 10x worse trigger than the GP100. Any 22 DA revolver is going to have a heavier trigger pull compared to its centerfire counterparts. Ruger also makes a single 10 and single six with 22WMR cylinder, something to ponder.

FYI any ruger revolver trigger can be made great with like $10 worth of springs from Wolff. Very easy to swap. Otherwise the stock ruger revolver triggers are just insanely heavy.

for 22 specifically, there are many good options. SP101 or GP100, S&W 617 used omes can be found cheap. If youre looking to save $$ just find a used one. 22lr revolvers last forever so any used one is good to go unless the previous owner was intentionally trying to kill it (unlikely).

If you are not opposed to a single action......The Ruger single 10 is a great fun gun. We take ours to every range trip. Once it breaks in......The SA trigger is amazing. And the single 10 in stainless steel comes with adjustable fiber optic sights. Very accurate and fun handgun.

4" S&W 617. You will not be disappointed. Super fun and very accurate.
You speak in the plural of "our" collection so I would warn you that it is a heavy(er) gun and the lady may not find it as fun because of that. I would imagine that the single six would be a lot lighter if you expect that weight would be a concern.

I bought a used S&W 6" 10 shot 617 years ago, it's one of my favorite guns. Action's just amazing, and so much fun to shoot.

The Ruger SP101's double-action by comparison just sucks. It felt like it was 14 pounds. We changed springs, polished it, shot it and the only thing that's really worked is putting thousands of rounds through it and dry-firing it thousands of times (with snapcaps), because I'm stubborn and don't want to give up on it. After all of that, it's now just "tolerable".

Ruger Single Ten.
All the fun of a cowboy gun and it goes well with a Henry Golden boy!
Those two guns and a kid will have the time of his life shootin those things at a plinking range!
Plus the cylinder removes easily for cleaning.
Love mine!![grin]

Last edited:
An older 617 would be a nice addition, I have a no dash 617 and a newer 617 ten shot. I dumped the ten shot. I forget what I paid for the six shot but I remember thinking I got a steal and it already had a nice trigger job done and beautiful wood grips on it.

I also have a Ruger single action with 22lr and 22 mag cylinders, that gun is a lot of fun, soda cans don't stand a chance!

Both are good choices IMHO

Last edited:
I have 4 inch SW 617. Lol, for $35 bucks I can have a whole afternoon fun at the gun club. If that's what you looking for, 22lr revolver is super!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's similar to the single 6, I love mine, 22Mag is fun to shoot with the conversion barrel too!

If you are not opposed to a single action......The Ruger single 10 is a great fun gun. We take ours to every range trip. Once it breaks in......The SA trigger is amazing. And the single 10 in stainless steel comes with adjustable fiber optic sights. Very accurate and fun handgun.

Whether it be Smith & Wesson or Ruger they both make great 22's if you're going into some of the older stuff like H&R you got to be very careful because some of them have been used and the timing could be off. There is also some older post war German made guns. Some were good and some were junk.

We've got a few revolvers, and the Ruger Single Six Bisley stands out as one of my favorites. Seems it's no longer in production though.

Looking at current .22 revolvers, the Ruger Single Six Hunter has my interest. It comes with .22 and .22WMR cylinders, and set of scope rings.

I pulled the trigger on the ruger gp100 22lr. Now I have no experience with revolvers prior to shooting this gun, but all I can say is wow. That has to be the most fun I have yet to have with a gun. It is very accurate, at least compared to everything else I shoot. The balance is perfect in my hands. I have a Mark III with an upgraded sear and trigger. I love that gun, but for some reason this is just more fun, and dare I say as accurate, if not better. I guess the difference between this and the Mark is that I am more involved because I have to either really concentrate not to F'up if shooting DA or I have the extra step of cocking the trigger if shooting SA. The Mark is just mindless, barely touch the trigger, and bang. And, like all other 22s, cheap to shoot. Thank god since I blew through 300 rounds today.

if the trigger is heavy, you should be able to swap in some wolff springs to help make the pull smoother and softer. also another perk is that it should shoot 22 long and 22 shorts, not just 22LR. there are all sorts of "quiet" type 22 ammo out there to allow shooting without hearing protection, such as 22lr quiet, 22 CB, 22 short quiets, etc. However if shooting indoors then probably would still want ear protection, but for outside not needed.

If you already have a .22 semi-auto, why not move up to a .38spl / .357 magnum revolver?

.38spl is very light recoil, and not *too* expensive to shoot. .357 Magnum is a blast (literally) to shoot.

Love my S&W Model 66-8. It's their newly re-introduced model 66 six shot 4.25" k-frame. Nicely balanced. Comfy Hogue grips. Beautiful trigger.

I'll second the sentiments about the medium frame S&W in .38spl. Recoil is nearly non-existent shooting target loads and the trigger is really quite dreamy. Very gratifying gun to shoot.

FYI any ruger revolver trigger can be made great with like $10 worth of springs from Wolff. Very easy to swap. Otherwise the stock ruger revolver triggers are just insanely heavy.

THIS. My brother is a cop and instructor at the NH police academy. He was recently certified as a revolver instructor (already a pistol and rifle instructor). He loved the Colt Python they used for certification.

Not nearly the same, but I bought him a Ruger GP161. I changed out the stock springs for Wilson Combat springs. Very easy to do. 8 pounds on the trigger and 10 pounds on the hammer. Incredible wheel gun. I want one now. Shoots amazingly well.

So I'm going to take this in another direction. Instead of buying a Ruger or S&W, I'll suggest finding a nice H&R Top Break revolver in 22lr. 9 shot DA/SA revolver at only a fraction of the cost of the Ruger or S&W. More money for ammo!

So I'm going to take this in another direction. Instead of buying a Ruger or S&W, I'll suggest finding a nice H&R Top Break revolver in 22lr. 9 shot DA/SA revolver at only a fraction of the cost of the Ruger or S&W. More money for ammo!

I'm glad someone mentioned this, the H&R Top-Breaks don't get a lot of respect, but I love my Sportsman #199 and #999. The #199 is single action only while the #999 is SA/DA.
They don't go for big money either, and no revolver is faster to load and unload, or easier to clean, than a top-break.

121638_01_wanted_h_r_model_999_sportsman_640.jpg

If you reload, I'd say a medium frame steel .357 magnum. If you don't, the same thing in .22. I have a 17, a 617 and a 34. The 34 is probably too small for what you want to do but if you're ever at Harvard, you're welcome to try any of them.

Back
Top Bottom