• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolvers

I'd suggest two options.

If you want a double action revolver, the only answer is the S&W 617. 10 shots of goodness, available with 4 or 6" barrel.

If you want a nice single action gun, the Ruger Single ten, also puts 10 rounds where there used to be 6.

If you want to make the jump to centerfire, its hard to go wrong with a 6" 686. Although the blued 586 is prettier.

But any way you slice it, whether its a Ruger or a Smith, light target wadcutter loads are going to be absolute pussycats out of any 4" or 6" gun.

Don

Last edited:
I have a Ruger GP100 in Stainless, 4.24" barrel .38 Special / .357 magnum... I bought it new in 2015 for $605... the gun is awesome... It will last 4 generations....

I almost bought the Ruger SP101 .22 revolver until I tried out the trigger. if you don't have arthritis, you will after a cylinder full. I owned a S&W 617. great, but .22 ammo is dirty and gums up the ejector. I think I'll stick to my .22 auto (Ruger mk iv), reliable, fun, 10 shot mags, and no 30 pound trigger pull.

ain't that purty?

DSC03117.jpg

I just added another revolver to our collection. I am finding that I enjoy revolvers more than semis for some reason. Cant't put my finger on it as to why, but I do enjoy them a lot. Anyway, S&W 686 Pro Plus with a five inch barrel. This is a 357 mag. OMG, this thing is fun to shoot. 38 special almost feels like a 22. But, the 357 is a just a flame thrower! I am shooting a bit low, so I am dealing with some recoil anticipation, but good lord, that thing is a canon. The greatest thing about this caliber is its versatility, which I am just figuring out. I have been reading about reloading for two weeks, and just spent that day with a friend who has been reloading for forty years. The 357 revolver is like four guns in one, if you take advantage of reloading. Revolvers are truly special guns. Pete

I reload for revolvers and autos but prefer reloading for revolvers for 2 reasons. With revolvers, I don't have to freeze my fingers digging empties out of the snow and I can make loads that are too light to function in an auto.

My wife has the 4" 617 10. Great trigger and all around good gun. Big money also. My favorite 22 pistol is the Ruger single 6 with the extra 22mag cylinder. Great fun and the mag cylinder will give a little kick if your looking for it.

Back
Top Bottom