RI LTC. Three months.

rogersmithiii

NES Member
In case anyone is wondering, the department I applied through as an out of state person is reporting three month turn around times due to a massive flood of applications. They told me when the application is complete, they'd call, and set up an appt to finish it all up. They were very polite and helpful.

Are you LEO? Do you honestly expect to receive and out of state LTC? I hear it’s near impossible. What township did you apply through? I am over in Seekonk and it would make my life so much easier.

I don't think that the OP is so crazy ... I was able to get a non-resident license from Cranston before I moved up here from NC. The originally called me up and said "NO ... we can't do that and you should withdraw your application so that you don't end up with a denial in your history" but after I demonstrated a solid grasp of what is essentially a shall issue law in RI (just ignored by many), I told them to please forward it on to the Chief and I'd deal with it later if it was denied. 3 or 4 weeks later they called back and said it was ready to pick up. My renewal as a RI resident was actually more of a PITA, but that was also successful. Nope, I am not a LEO. But I was willing to take them to court over it, and maybe that came through in my voice ... hard to say.

CC

I don't think that the OP is so crazy ... I was able to get a non-resident license from Cranston before I moved up here from NC. The originally called me up and said "NO ... we can't do that and you should withdraw your application so that you don't end up with a denial in your history" but after I demonstrated a solid grasp of what is essentially a shall issue law in RI (just ignored by many), I told them to please forward it on to the Chief and I'd deal with it later if it was denied. 3 or 4 weeks later they called back and said it was ready to pick up. My renewal as a RI resident was actually more of a PITA, but that was also successful. Nope, I am not a LEO. But I was willing to take them to court over it, and maybe that came through in my voice ... hard to say.

CC
So you are saying if you get a denial on your.. what “record” is something that can be used against you in the future? Shall issue, I thought, was just unchecked yet sanctioned bias by those with the badges, I didn’t know you had ANY legal recourse if they said “no” to you.

Well ... every carry permit I have ever applied for asks if you have ever been denied a permit in the past or had a permit revoked. At a minimum, getting a BS denial will be a cause for having to explain it from then on. May issue is what I think you are referring to ... shall issue statutes say that unless you are a prohibited person, they must (shall) issue you a permit. RI is actually shall issue in the towns and may issue with the AG. A little trivia for you: the RI supreme court actually upheld the may issue statute for the AG permits because there was another viable shall issue path to getting a RI permit (that being the town permits).

If you apply and you are denied for a valid reason, you have no recourse, but if they deny you because they don't like the way you filled out the application or for some other reason unsupported by law, then you have every right to sue them. The C.O.P in East Providence has been told by judges on multiple occasions to issue after he had denied permits without cause. I think that if they violate rights knowingly, they should be personally liable, but that isn't the way the law works :(

CC

Well ... every carry permit I have ever applied for asks if you have ever been denied a permit in the past or had a permit revoked. At a minimum, getting a BS denial will be a cause for having to explain it from then on. May issue is what I think you are referring to ... shall issue statutes say that unless you are a prohibited person, they must (shall) issue you a permit. RI is actually shall issue in the towns and may issue with the AG. A little trivia for you: the RI supreme court actually upheld the may issue statute for the AG permits because there was another viable shall issue path to getting a RI permit (that being the town permits).

If you apply and you are denied for a valid reason, you have no recourse, but if they deny you because they don't like the way you filled out the application or for some other reason unsupported by law, then you have every right to sue them. The C.O.P in East Providence has been told by judges on multiple occasions to issue after he had denied permits without cause. I think that if they violate rights knowingly, they should be personally liable, but that isn't the way the law works :(

CC
Hey I appreciate your response, thanks for your time. Half my life takes places over that line that says “now entering RI” so the idea I can attain a permit and exercise my rights has put a smile on my face. I’ll do some more research and figure it out

CC

I am pretty sure that they are held liable and have to personally pay a fine/penalty if they deny you without proper cause, but I can't find the law stating such.

Hey I appreciate your response, thanks for your time. Half my life takes places over that line that says “now entering RI” so the idea I can attain a permit and exercise my rights has put a smile on my face. I’ll do some more research and figure it out
I'm the opposite ... now I live in RI and half my life is spent in MA ...

I will say that it is a lot cheaper to do it your way :) ... the town permits are 4-year or 5-year (can't recall) even for non-residents and they cost the same ($40 or so) ... whereas non-res MA LTCs cost me $100 a year and I have to renew every year. Still, southern MA and RI are intertwined to the point that they are just a blur. I work in MA, do more shopping in MA than RI, and even cross through MA to get to my RI range in Tiverton. Having both permits is really the only way I could carry.

In case anyone is wondering, the department I applied through as an out of state person is reporting three month turn around times due to a massive flood of applications. They told me when the application is complete, they'd call, and set up an appt to finish it all up. They were very polite and helpful.
So what town did you apply to?

I'm the opposite ... now I live in RI and half my life is spent in MA ...

I will say that it is a lot cheaper to do it your way :) ... the town permits are 4-year or 5-year (can't recall) even for non-residents and they cost the same ($40 or so) ... whereas non-res MA LTCs cost me $100 a year and I have to renew every year. Still, southern MA and RI are intertwined to the point that they are just a blur. I work in MA, do more shopping in MA than RI, and even cross through MA to get to my RI range in Tiverton. Having both permits is really the only way I could carry.

Apparently, we belong to the same club! And you're absolutely right with regard to the cost. I moved from MA to RI, and now it's a lot more expensive, and more of a hassle, to maintain permits in both states.

Frank

Follow the Non Resident RI permit thread. RI doesn't grant a "non resident' license, but they do grant RI CCW permits to non residents.

Are you LEO? Do you honestly expect to receive and out of state LTC? I hear it’s near impossible. What township did you apply through? I am over in Seekonk and it would make my life so much easier.

People are scared to say what town they applied to. There is no point in telling people to go to a town when they won’t say.

Towns that have been friendly.

West Greenwich
Coventry
West Warwick
Providence (hard to believe but I‘ve been told)
Cranston
North Kingston
Narragansett
Foster (insanely back logged)
East Greenwich (lotto system needs to go)
Johnston (don’t pay illegal $300 fee)
Exeter

Back
Top Bottom