RI non resident LTC

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I am retired and am applying for non resident LTCs in New England. My wife and I vacation and do weekend trips in NH, VT, ME, and RI. I have had a MA LTC since 1991, NH since '14, and ME is pending. I had to get a safety course certificate for ME, and now RI wants "proof of qualification before a certified weapons instructor". Really?

Anyway, does anyone know an individual/class I can get said certification from?

t

LenS does that in Mansfield.
There are others here Rob Boudrie I believe does it as well.
There are several members at Tiverton Rod and Gun who will do it for members but I a sure they would do it as well for a visitor.
It requires you to shoot a handgun at 25 yards of the caliber you intend to carry so qualify with a .45 and everything else is covered. Well except the .50 cal hand cannons.
You must get 190 out of 300 on an L target with 30 shots.

Not impossible by any means but not all that casual for most who don't spend time at the range with one hand in the pocket squinting at black on white out at 25 yards.

How big is that target? I generally use the 50 foot target at 45 feet.

t

Attachments

• 721097A6-4208-4AB5-9607-6535C65A012F.jpeg
    721097A6-4208-4AB5-9607-6535C65A012F.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 27
I am temporarily unavailable to do RI qualifications but will be back in gear next spring. For now, I am concentrating in recovery from my transplant. Turns out the surgery is the easy part - the number of follow-up appointments is mind-blowing. Today's excitement was a 16 French (5.33mm) probe into my bladder to pull out a stent running from the kidney to bladder. I'm still on quarantine light (mask in public) and will remain so for 8 more weeks.
How big is that target? I generally use the 50 foot target at 45 feet.
Big. 10x ring is about 6". The group you posted would easily pass.

Last edited:
Good luck on your recovery!

.38 special is usually the biggest I carry. Here is a Navy Victory revolver (7/9/1943) from a couple weeks ago.

t

Attachments

• 564035A1-F4F3-4165-AF4F-12A04B38E5FA.jpeg
    564035A1-F4F3-4165-AF4F-12A04B38E5FA.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Whereabouts are you located? If East Providence is convenient to you I can set you up with someone from my club to do the qualification.

PM me if interested.

Qualifying is easy, it's the process that's difficult. Qualify with a 1911, that way you can carry .45 and smaller. if you qualify with a 9mm, you can't carry a .45. Contact @newportri as he does qualify people in the East Bay

I run this qualification shoot upon request at Mansfield F&G. Being retired, it is easier for me to do this weekdays than weekends, but weekends that I am available aren't a problem either. Anyone interested should contact me via my business Email on Comcast.net . . . which is "safety-instructor". Since it is upon request, it usually ends up as a one-on-one event. I can not schedule any event via PMs, Email only. Thank you. MuzzleDiscipline gave the reader the details of the qualification shoot above.

Back
Top Bottom