• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Range Question

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
are there any ranges in RI that are strictly a range and not a club? my cousin is looking for a place to shoot but most of them that he's looked into have very high dues and want you to work tons of range hours.

thanks guys!

I've almost gone to Midstate when I was in the area and looking for something to do.
The fact that they offer a mandatory $5 range test before hand though is part of the reason I didn't.
Seems like a clean facility though.
http://midstateguns.com/ourrange.html

I've almost gone to Midstate when I was in the area and looking for something to do.
The fact that they offer a mandatory $5 range test before hand though is part of the reason I didn't.
Seems like a clean facility though.
http://midstateguns.com/ourrange.html
$5 was keeping you from shooting at a very clean, modern indoor range? OK.

$5 was keeping you from shooting at a very clean, modern indoor range? OK.

"part"of the reason.
Add $10 to $35 fee (two of us) and yes, little much for an hour. It seems like a nice little place though.

From the Midstate site:

• All persons wanting to use the range MUST be able to pass the same background checks required to purchase a gun.

I thought dealers were prohibited from using NICS for any purpose other than sale or transfer of a firearm.

Plus, this one is a deal breaker for any serious shooter:

NO RELOADS/HAND LOAD

Last edited:
Midstate is nice. My buddy is a member at Providence Revolver, but I've yet to shoot there.
Thanks Mike

What about the state range.....Great Swamp? You have to get a permit (after taking the safety class), but I don't believe they charge anything. It's open 4/1 through 9/30 (or something) and is outdoors. It's pistol only (no centerfire rifles...but you can shoot rimfire rifles). I hear from a very good source that they are planning to put in a 100 yard (or longer) rifle range.

Great Swamp is a neat little range. People there are very nice. Good for outdoor pistol. I have gone when I am the only person there. There is no shooting with out the range officer but the move things right along.

What about the state range.....Great Swamp? You have to get a permit (after taking the safety class), but I don't believe they charge anything. It's open 4/1 through 9/30 (or something) and is outdoors. It's pistol only (no centerfire rifles...but you can shoot rimfire rifles). I hear from a very good source that they are planning to put in a 100 yard (or longer) rifle range.

are there any ranges in RI that are strictly a range and not a club? my cousin is looking for a place to shoot but most of them that he's looked into have very high dues and want you to work tons of range hours.

thanks guys!

Tiverton Rod and Gun?
Indoor Range:

Outdoor Range:

They just spent $2.5 mil in capitol improvements, no required work or anything. Actually the more you work, the less your dues are.
$180 a year, 24/7 indoor 25 yard indoor pistol range, 200 yard outdoor range during daylight.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also a public indoor range being built in Tiverton. It is the owners of Sakonnet River Outfitters: http://www.sakonnetriveroutfitters.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom