RI Resident Looking to Open FFL in Mass

duza9999

NES Member
Good morning gents, bit of a specific question but figured I’d atleast try to ask.

I live about 20 min from the state line. And I’ve been worked with an FFL in the past, primarily I’d be looking to do online business and I partner with a Youtuber who has 160k Subs. Ideally the biggest attraction to mass for me is the tolerance of NFA items.

A few of my questions are...

1. Opening a type 07/02 would I be able to manufacture post samples in Mass given the “green card” requirement?

2. I’m aware the Mass state police can issue green card permits for out of state persons working for a manufacturer. Does anyone know if such a occurrence has been granted recently, or is it something just on the books and never issued?

3. Boston’s Assault Weapon Ban, is there an exemption for just passing through I.E. for flying out of Logan?

4. Would I be required to possess a out of state LTC to possess firearms in general even if I was an FFL?

5. I don’t have a problem with the ATF, however if I was to also open myself up to local sales and consider getting the MA dealer license, how much of a PITA is the state inspections compared to ATF inspections?

I’m turning 21 this coming year, and while the ATF may not care, I would presume I should get my RI CCW first then try for a out of state LTC hoping I may squeak by with less restrictions.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.-Mat

As the owner of a business in MA, you would qualify for the regular 6 year LTC (erroneously termed "In state LTC").

As to the state, do not get the AG interested in you and do not F with the sales tax. GFA has a "on vacation" sign on his door, but the reality is he was indicted for under/not reporting sales tax years ago, and not collecting sales tax on some cash sales.

Boston AWB only applies to Boston residents. It is unenforceable against anyone else.

Nice as a resident to be a second class citizen compared to visitors in your own city. =(

As the owner of a business in MA, you would qualify for the regular 6 year LTC (erroneously termed "In state LTC").

As to the state, do not get the AG interested in you and do not F with the sales tax. GFA has a "on vacation" sign on his door, but the reality is he was indicted for under/not reporting sales tax years ago, and not collecting sales tax on some cash sales.
Gotcha, I’m not as familiar with MA Law as I am with RI law, do you happen to know where I can find the text of the MG possession/Manufacturer permit? Also given that it’s not a home based FFL, how much of a pain is the MA dealer’s license on a state level, is there more than one inspection a year?

Hoping one of our resident FFL’s may swing by in this thread. Thank you-Mat

And obtain the fed and state laws and regs. Most of what you want to know is in there. Jack.
Jack, I’m quite familiar with the federal Regs, however MA is the tricky part. I think I have a pretty good understanding atm but my biggest question is, while 07 are exempt from the suppressor ban, MA requires a “green card” for MG possession. However there is not mechanism for getting such a permit for a out of state resident save for an employee of a MG manufacturer.

My question is, as a SOT, are you required to have a MG permit? Or does your FFL exempt you?

Jack, I’m quite familiar with the federal Regs, however MA is the tricky part. I think I have a pretty good understanding atm but my biggest question is, while 07 are exempt from the suppressor ban, MA requires a “green card” for MG possession. However there is not mechanism for getting such a permit for a out of state resident save for an employee of a MG manufacturer.

My question is, as a SOT, are you required to have a MG permit? Or does your FFL exempt you?
As far as I know, in Mass the green card is issued by the PD in the town in Mass that you live in. Maybe someone else here has better info? Jack.

Since the OP is a non-res the more pertinent question may be "does a green card follow the same rules as an LTC and can be issues by the town where you have a business?"

I’ve heard it before that there is no non res green card but it left me wondering how an out of state mfg would be able to demo to LE and Mil
As for the MA dealer I assumed the business would be in MA and the dealer lic issued under that address

If your FFL address is in Mass you should be good to go except for the green card. That's the problem. Jack.
I’ve heard it before that there is no non res green card but it left me wondering how an out of state mfg would be able to demo to LE and Mil
As for the MA dealer I assumed the business would be in MA and the dealer lic issued under that address

There is a out of state MG permit but it’s only for employees of MG manufacturers. I don’t know how often (if ever) it’s been issued. 131F

“A license, otherwise in accordance with provisions of this section, may be issued to a nonresident employee, whose application is endorsed by his employer, of a federally licensed Massachusetts manufacturer of machine guns to possess within the commonwealth a machine gun for the purpose of transporting or testing relative to the manufacture of machine guns, and the license shall be marked ''temporary license to possess a machine gun'' and may be issued for any term not to exceed two years and shall expire in accordance with the provisions of section one hundred and thirty-one.”

Question is, it’s for an employee, does it still apply if it’s for the business owner, or do I need to work under someone else is the question.

IANAL
But every time I read this I come away with same conclusion https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131
That the licensing athority, the CoP of where you live or have a business, can issue an MG license. Whether they have or will is another issue, but it looks like they can.

The reference in the above post seems to apply to employees of a MA manufacturer, who happen to live out of state.

But neither of these deal with a non-res who is a Fed licensed manufacturer in another state. This would seem to place an out of state manufacturer at a significant disadvantage compared to a MA manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

If your FFL address is in Mass you should be good to go except for the green card. That's the problem. Jack.

IANAL
But every time I read this I come away with same conclusion https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131
That the licensing athority, the CoP of where you live or have a business, can issue an MG license. Whether they have or will is another issue, but it looks like they can.

The reference in the above post seems to apply to employees of a MA manufacturer, who happen to live out of state.

But neither of these deal with a non-res who is a Fed licensed manufacturer in another state. This would seem to place an out of state manufacturer at a significant disadvantage compared to a MA manufacturer. I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

I just called the MA Firearms Record Bureau, both the lady I spoke to and her supervisor said that because I’m out of state and they don’t issue an out of state MG permit, that the MA dealers license would exempt me and allow me to have MG’s on my FFL :eek:

I just called the MA Firearms Record Bureau, both the lady I spoke to and her supervisor said that because I’m out of state and they don’t issue an out of state MG permit, that the MA dealers license would exempt me and allow me to have MG’s on my FFL :eek:
WARNING: Sounds good BUT there are NO lawyers in FRB and they have given out erroneous info unintentionally before. I'm not so sure about that answer and wouldn't want to bet the "life in prison" potential for working thru that answer. A better approach would be to approach the police chief in the town you intend to operate and ask if he'd issue MG license under your business address. If so, you're probably OK (IANAL) but if he says that he can't, that would be a red flag to me.

Damn. I had my hopes all up that I wouldn’t need it for the last 3 hours. :mad:

I’m probably leaning towards Swansea, if Swansea PD says they can’t issue it, anyone have a good recommendation of a firearm lawyer who can get the FRB on the record (in writing) saying “yes”? I recorded a part of the conversation (about a minute) but can’t use it as unlike RI, Mass is a two party state for recording.

Last edited:
Damn. I had my hopes all up that I wouldn’t need it for the last 3 hours. :mad:

I’m probably leaning towards Swansea, if Swansea PD says they can’t issue it, anyone have a good recommendation of a firearm lawyer who can get the FRB on the record saying “yes”? I recorded a part of the conversation (about a minute) but can’t use it as unlike RI, Mass is a two party state for recording.
I guess that would depend on where you were when you recorded it.... But seriously, I doubt such a conversation would be legally binding. The FRB aren't LE or prosecutors, they have very limited authority.

I guess that would depend on where you were when you recorded it.... But seriously, I doubt such a conversation would be legally binding. The FRB aren't LE or prosecutors, they have very limited authority.

Agreed, when I meant on the record, I mean have a firearm lawyer get what their saying in writing. Then perhaps bring that to the AG’s office and ask their interpretation.

So bit of an update, currently getting my FFL in Fall River. Called the firearms record bureau earlier this week check if the interpretation they gave me in August was the same. I spoke to the director and she said while they don’t issue an out of state machine gun permit, it’s the Massachusetts dealer license itself is the exemption. That I would not be able to collect MGs for my own personal collection, however anything on the FFL would be covered and exempt for.

What they’re saying is the same license which exempts a dealer from the AW ban, also exempts them from the MG permit requirement.

So the plot thickens.

Hire a lawyer to answer your questions in writing [rofl]

Expecting answers from this web site versus hiring a lawyer tells me enough, stay in RI !

So bit of an update, currently getting my FFL in Fall River. Called the firearms record bureau earlier this week check if the interpretation they gave me in August was the same. I spoke to the director and she said while they don’t issue an out of state machine gun permit, it’s the Massachusetts dealer license itself is the exemption. That I would not be able to collect MGs for my own personal collection, however anything on the FFL would be covered and exempt for.

What they’re saying is the same license which exempts a dealer from the AW ban, also exempts them from the MG permit requirement.

So the plot thickens.

You can't own machine guns as a RI resident. There's no way around that. You would have to be a Mass resident. You can't collect machine guns as a RI resident.

My guess is that a RI resident could own a Mass FFL and the Mass FFL corporation could own machine guns.

Like everyone else, I suggest getting a business lawyer licensed in both Mass and RI. I know a couple lawyers if you want to PM me.

Hire a lawyer to answer your questions in writing [rofl]

Expecting answers from this web site versus hiring a lawyer tells me enough, stay in RI !
Yes and no, this day in age, most of the information in question can be found online. It’s one thing to sue or be sued, charged with a crime ect. It’s another thing to read up one can tell what is, or is not legal.

I.E. in RI, MG’s, Supressors, SBR’s, SBS’s are banned, however because DD’s where created as a classification in the GCA in 68 and most our gun laws regarding Supressors, ect was before that time, large bore DD’s are legal in RI.

The problem is while NH, RI law may be straight forward reading (except for 11-47-8 RIGL which is one damn wall of text) MA law is in my opinion not as well organized and seems almost a bit contradictory.

Hence asking if anyone has any info on here. But I agree with what your saying.

You can't own machine guns as a RI resident. There's no way around that. You would have to be a Mass resident. You can't collect machine guns as a RI resident.

My guess is that a RI resident could own a Mass FFL and the Mass FFL corporation could own machine guns.

Like everyone else, I suggest getting a business lawyer licensed in both Mass and RI. I know a couple lawyers if you want to PM me.

Bingo, “My guess is that a RI resident could own a Mass FFL and the Mass FFL corporation could own machine guns.”

That’s what we’re trying to do, not collect. That’s essentially what the FRB told me.

Back
Top Bottom