• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Resident Looking to Open FFL in Mass

Bingo, “My guess is that a RI resident could own a Mass FFL and the Mass FFL corporation could own machine guns.”

That’s what we’re trying to do, not collect. That’s essentially what the FRB told me.

Yeah I understood exactly what you're trying to do.

All I'm going to say is that you're going to want a lawyer to incorporate your gun shop's LLC, so, talk to whoever you chose for that.

Yes and no, this day in age, most of the information in question can be found online. It’s one thing to sue or be sued, charged with a crime ect. It’s another thing to read up one can tell what is, or is not legal.

I.E. in RI, MG’s, Supressors, SBR’s, SBS’s are banned, however because DD’s where created as a classification in the GCA in 68 and most our gun laws regarding Supressors, ect was before that time, large bore DD’s are legal in RI.

The problem is while NH, RI law may be straight forward reading (except for 11-47-8 RIGL which is one damn wall of text) MA law is in my opinion not as well organized and seems almost a bit contradictory.

Hence asking if anyone has any info on here. But I agree with what your saying.

Two things:

1) There isn't actually any "law" saying that destructive devices are legal or illegal in RI's NFA ban. Theoretically, someone could lawfully own a destructive device in RI. The problem is getting the idea to work. I also think that if someone starts poking around, AG Neronha or the General Assembly might respond very quickly. I don't see a RI court ruling in favor of owning destructive devices because the legislative intent of the General Assembly was to ban NFA items.

2) I once had a Mass judge tell me "You're trying to make rational sense [of Mass gun laws]. Sometimes there isn't any." This is why you don't want to be relying on information from non-lawyers. You want someone who can perform legal research and has experience in the area. You're also asking questions about a very specific area of Mass gun law that's well beyond what the average Mass gun owner would know. In Mass, machine gun ownership is very uncommon and there's basically only two reasons why police grant a green card, either someone's a C&R collector of machine guns or they train police.

I'm really not joking when I say "get a lawyer." Someone licensed in both RI and Mass. You could be out a ton of money and perhaps wind up in jail if things go wrong.

Yeah I understood exactly what you're trying to do.

All I'm going to say is that you're going to want a lawyer to incorporate your gun shop's LLC, so, talk to whoever you chose for that.
If you just want to be one of the "little guys" in the biz., it's not that difficult. I've been a "sole prop." for going on to 40 years now. Jack.

If you just want to be one of the "little guys" in the biz., it's not that difficult. I've been a "sole prop." for going on to 40 years now. Jack.

Here's the thing though: this guy's a resident of a state where machine guns are illegal. There's no wiggle room for a RI resident to own machine guns. That adds a very serious level of complexity to all this. If this was a Mass resident trying to open up his own place, he could do it. But he's trying to synthesize three different states' laws while running one business.

Two things:

1) There isn't actually any "law" saying that destructive devices are legal or illegal in RI's NFA ban. Theoretically, someone could lawfully own a destructive device in RI. The problem is getting the idea to work. I also think that if someone starts poking around, AG Neronha or the General Assembly might respond very quickly. I don't see a RI court ruling in favor of owning destructive devices because the legislative intent of the General Assembly was to ban NFA items.

2) I once had a Mass judge tell me "You're trying to make rational sense [of Mass gun laws]. Sometimes there isn't any." This is why you don't want to be relying on information from non-lawyers. You want someone who can perform legal research and has experience in the area. You're also asking questions about a very specific area of Mass gun law that's well beyond what the average Mass gun owner would know. In Mass, machine gun ownership is very uncommon and there's basically only two reasons why police grant a green card, either someone's a C&R collector of machine guns or they train police.

I'm really not joking when I say "get a lawyer." Someone licensed in both RI and Mass. You could be out a ton of money and perhaps wind up in jail if things go wrong.

Roger that, my father can draft a LLC as he’s a tax attorney, but do you or anyone else happen to have a good gun lawyer recommendations?

Your right as spending a few grand on legal advice, vs needlessly suffering the wrath of the AG, ect is a no brainer.

Two things:

In that vein, I recommend that he contact Atty Keith Langer of Wrentham. He's licensed in both states and extremely knowledgable of Mass gun laws. He can be arrogant but he knows his stuff.

Roger that, my father can draft a LLC as he’s a tax attorney, but do you or anyone else happen to have a good gun lawyer recommendations?

Your right as spending a few grand on legal advice, vs needlessly suffering the wrath of the AG, ect is a no brainer.

I do. PM me.

See my reply under your post.

Back
Top Bottom