Ridgeline May 2021 Scoped Carbine Class

SFP scopes are IMO completely useless and stupid.

The only reason companies make SFP is it is cheaper because it requires less pieces of glass. If you're looking at a SFP scope, stop. Buy a fixed power scope instead.
I kind of wish someone would make a good 34mm tube, fixed 10x scope with adjustable paralax and a Horus type reticle. It would be lighter and shorter in overall length then the variables since it wouldn't need all the extra glass and moving parts, and since I run the red dot anyways, I don't need to dial down. I shot 97% of this class with my scope on 10x, and only dialed down to tinker and see if it did anything for me.

Here is mine after a few upgrades from my lessons learned from the class. There are still a few things I'd like to change, but with ammo the way it is, I don't really want to dick with it.

20200515_150515.jpg

Here is mine after a few upgrades from my lessons learned from the class. There are still a few things I'd like to change, but with ammo the way it is, I don't really want to dick with it.
is it what they tell to do with a 16" .223 AR15 at the class? any specific reason why?

is it what they tell to do with a 16" .223 AR15 at the class? any specific reason why?
No, it's what I like. If I didn't have a can, it would be an 18-20" 556 gun.

The class is definitely geared towards an SPR type 5.56 gas gun, but the requirement is a gun and ammo that will hold 2 moa or better. Given the ammo requirements, I personally wouldn't use anything other .223.

Last edited:
They don't tell you to do anything. They show what each of them are using and give you examples of situational usage.

The rifle you use for this class is not a rifle you would kick doors down for a living with. That's not the intent of this course. This is specifically a scoped rifle, medium distance class. The general theme of the class is how to identify, range and engage targets at ANY distance from 0-600yds in a support or ambush style role.

This is a not a "running and gunning" class. If you want to kick doors down or learn squad movements, take a different class. If you like eotechs or Aim points, take another class.

Gee, I was hoping for Holosun love ❤️

For real though I would love such a class because I lack such a skillset. I do have a 16” rifle with a Nikon P-223 1.5-4.5x20 that might be just the fit for this class. It needs some serious adjustments though.

As a note I'm not shitting on red dots. I'm 100% sure I can engage targets at 600 with an Aimpoint with reasonable results. The class is just framed specifically around scopes.

I did a carbine course at Ridgeline on that range in the foreground - an excellent facility. Looks quite dry there on Saturday - it’s soaking wet in the 40s in the MHT area.

NFGA cancelled their Long Range Clinic Saturday. Not that I relish shooting in the cold & wet, but I’d have sucked it up.

How do they judge the 2moa requirement
Is that for the shooter/rifle or do they bench test your rifle.
2moa is tight spec thats better than mil spec.
Looks like a fun course , My “carbine” is a bit heavy to be running around with. 1” bull barrel , currently has a dumb big scope on it but I have others. I put this upper together basically for 600 yard any rifle/any sight type of matches.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun course , My “carbine” is a bit heavy to be running around with. 1” bull barrel , currently has a dumb big scope on it but I have others. I put this upper together basically for 600 yard any rifle/any sight type of matches.
You lay prone at 100 and shoot at paper with five two inch squares. I’m shooting a 16” barrel with 77gr reloads that don’t completely agree with my rifle. I’m holding my own and I’ve never shot at these distances before
Nice, like your low scope.
Thanks, I need a slight riser added to my stock though. I’m getting the bottom of the black where I am now when I first get on it.
is it a credo 2.5-15x42?
TenMile x3-18 FFP

2moa isn't really that tight tbh... I was shooting that at the Designated Patrol Marksman course with Wolf steel cased and a BCM upper 🤣

2moa isn't really that tight tbh... I was shooting that at the Designated Patrol Marksman course with Wolf steel cased and a BCM upper 🤣
Im actually surprised tou can hold sub 2 moa with wolf steel , wolf gold sure.
Im not saying thats tight but 2 moa for a basic carbine and M193/855 is not exactly Easy
Im just a little surprised they ask for that in the course? When hits on man sized targets seem like the goal for a scoped carbine?
I thought dpm type courses frowned n cheap fmj?

Last edited:
You lay prone at 100 and shoot at paper with five two inch squares. I’m shooting a 16” barrel with 77gr reloads that don’t completely agree with my rifle. I’m holding my own and I’ve never shot at these distances before

Thanks, I need a slight riser added to my stock though. I’m getting the bottom of the black where I am now when I first get on it.

TenMile x3-18 FFP
Nice. Factory reloads or? Just curious. I remember your thread from months back about looking for match ammo but couldn’t remember what you ended up getting for ammo.

Im actually surprised tou can hold sub 2 moa with wolf steel , wolf gold sure.
Im not saying thats tight but 2 moa for a basic carbine and M193/855 is not exactly Easy
Im just a little surprised they ask for that in the course? When hits on man sized targets seem like the goal for a scoped carbine?

I didn't take the class referred to in the OP, but I know of it. They are definitely shooting tighter than I did in a different class. I'm just saying that 2moa is what my rifle was doing in that class. We shot groups at 100 to confirm, and then did barricades and unorthodox firing positions out past 200. I had no issue hitting 6" headshot plates at 200, and was pleasantly surprised

I didn't take the class referred to in the OP, but I know of it. They are definitely shooting tighter than I did in a different class. I'm just saying that 2moa is what my rifle was doing in that class. We shot groups at 100 to confirm, and then did barricades and unorthodox firing positions out past 200. I had no issue hitting 6" headshot plates at 200, and was pleasantly surprised
Nice , hope tou bought a lot of that lot of wolf, lol

Nice. Factory reloads or? Just curious. I remember your thread from months back about looking for match ammo but couldn’t remember what you ended up getting for ammo.
@jhagberg88 made a ton of 77gr rounds with Sierra Match King bullets that we both shot.
his groups were damn tight for him but I was hitting about 2moa with my 16” 1/7 FNH barrel.

One of the instructors noticed on Day 2 that my gas block was actually rubbing my DD OmegaX quad rail. I felt pretty dumb that I never noticed it in the almost three years I’ve had the rail on with this flip up A2 gas block.

Last edited:
@jhagberg88 made a ton of 77gr rounds with Sierra Match King bullets that we both shot.
his groups were damn tight for him but I was hitting about 2moa with my 16” 1/7 FNH barrel.

One of the instructors noticed on Day 2 that my gas block was actually rubbing my DD OmegaX quad rail. I felt pretty dumb that I never noticed it in the almost three years I’ve had the rail on with this flip up A2 gas block.
What would be the most important and most helpful thing you’ve got from that training?

View attachment 438655
I’m just noticing your scope set up now, that’s wicked tall even for my massive melon.
I'm traveling too much this spring to do a class. I will definitely be looking at what fall classes they will have though.
I’m very tempted to take it again in the fall after I make some changes to the gun.

What would be the most important and most helpful thing you’ve got from that training?
I’ll do a separate summary thread in the morning, but my main take away is get good glass and ammo, and knowing that I have no experience at these distances I was very impressed at how they were able to get me landing shots as quick as we did.

Back
Top Bottom