Riffle and Shotgun from MA to VT

I have a current Class A LTC in MA. I have a friend that has a large amount of land in VT. From what I read in the NES forums I am ok with traveling to VT from MA with unloaded locked up long guns. (please correct me if I am wrong).

The question is about shooting those long guns on my friends property. As long as I have approval of my friend am I legal to fire those weapons in VT?

Thanks!

Yup, shoot away. The only question would be if the particular town the land is in has any bylaws about discharge of firearms. (Do VT towns actually have such bylaws?).

Yes you are legal, as long as there are no building owners within XYZ [usually 300 or 500] feet from another persons building who hasn't given permission. You probably also cannot shoot across a roadway.

Also, leave your suppressor at home.

Yes you are legal, as long as there are no building owners within XYZ [usually 300 or 500] feet from another persons building who hasn't given permission. You probably also cannot shoot across a roadway.

I don't believe VT has a any distance to buildings restrictions or shooting across roadway restrictions. VT firearms laws are easy to read through because they're short: http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/sections.cfm?Title=13&Chapter=085

doobie said:
Also, leave your suppressor at home.

Or make sure you've got $25 in your pocket [wink]

Some towns have discharge ordinances.

Most of those just pertain to the village.

Best bet is to stay on the right side of the law, so, if the town has a Police Department, ask them. They won't bite your head off, and will appreciate the call, as if anybody calls the shooting in, they'll just tell the caller they know about it and not to worry.

Make sure you do NOT have a loaded long arm in (or touching) your vehicle. That's a F&G violation. Remember it's deer season up here until next month.

Some towns have discharge ordinances.

Most of those just pertain to the village.

Best bet is to stay on the right side of the law, so, if the town has a Police Department, ask them. They won't bite your head off, and will appreciate the call, as if anybody calls the shooting in, they'll just tell the caller they know about it and not to worry.

Make sure you do NOT have a loaded long arm in (or touching) your vehicle. That's a F&G violation. Remember it's deer season up here until next month.

Especially when it involves not shooting their Idiot![rofl]

I have a current Class A LTC in MA. I have a friend that has a large amount of land in VT. From what I read in the NES forums I am ok with traveling to VT from MA with unloaded locked up long guns. (please correct me if I am wrong).

The question is about shooting those long guns on my friends property. As long as I have approval of my friend am I legal to fire those weapons in VT?

Unless the town has a restriction against shooting, you are good to go. VT is a free state, unlike MA. You don't need a permission slip in VT to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Back
Top Bottom