Rifle 102 SIG Academy

MaverickNH

NES Member
I did a 1-day Rifle 102 at SIG Academy Dec2018 with 10 other men - 5 from NH (including 3 SIG employees), 3 MA, 1 NY, 1 PA. The travelers borrowed SIG M400 AR-type rifles, other brought their own AR-types and me with a Tavor X95 in 556 with suppressor.

After 2hr class time on safety, operation, optics, etc., we spent another 5hr shooting (with a break for lunch). We spent 1hr sighting in at 50yd - not optimal for my Tavor but great for an AR-type 556. Then we moved back 5yd, 10yd, ..., 50yd to assess hold-over. Mag changes (drop) and malfunction drills (just empty mags - no dummy rounds or double-feeds) came next. Then multiple target shooting (C/L/R called out with #rd called out). Then shooting from bad support (feet together leaning back, then upright, then forward. Then parallel feet, then full offset & leaning forward - all to prove stance makes accuracy. It does.

Prone, kneeling, sitting braced and unbraced. Scoring each to assess how accuracy changes. Then a few mags free fire. Done.

David Phelps - 23yr LEO as instructor. VERY pro-2ndA for citizens. Great instructor - excellent sense of humor.

Next class in 2dy Defensive Rifle in April. After that I’ll do Low-Light, CQB, Adv Def Rifle, etc. And a Tavor-specific class from IWI.

Good review. I have taken several of their courses and we in the northeast are very fortunate to be in Sig's back yard. Its like eating candy, you cant take just 1

We spent 1hr sighting in at 50yd - not optimal for my Tavor but great for an AR-type 556.

I confess I don't know much about the Tavor, but why was sighting in at 50 yd no optimal for the Tavor? I thought a 50yd zero had more to do with the round than with the platform. Seeking knowledge here, not criticizing.

I confess I don't know much about the Tavor, but why was sighting in at 50 yd no optimal for the Tavor? I thought a 50yd zero had more to do with the round than with the platform. Seeking knowledge here, not criticizing.

The Tavor rail is higher over bored than AR-type platform - about 3.8 inches with a Meprolight M21 bullseye red dot. So yes, the barrel and cartridge determine bullet drop over distamce but the height of optic over bore interact with this to determine optimal zero distance. I’m no expert but ballistics apps tell me a 75yd zero works best for a suppressed 556 Tavor with 16.5in barrel. I’ll have to chronograph muzzle velocity and shoot to tell for sure.

The Tavor rail is higher over bored than AR-type platform - about 3.8 inches with a Meprolight M21 bullseye red dot. So yes, the barrel and cartridge determine bullet drop over distamce but the height of optic over bore interact with this to determine optimal zero distance. I’m no expert but ballistics apps tell me a 75yd zero works best for a suppressed 556 Tavor with 16.5in barrel. I’ll have to chronograph muzzle velocity and shoot to tell for sure.

Thank you. That's very interesting. I had no idea the height over bore for the Tavor was so high. Must make the hold-over for close shots pretty interesting.

Back
Top Bottom