• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Competitions with an AR-15 ?

I am new to rifle shooting.
I have an AR-15.
I was looking at the rifle competitions. From what I have read,it seems most competitions require a larger caliber than.223.
Also no muzzle break.
I was looking at the Reading 2011 schedule.
Is there any format for the AR type rifle?

Thanks, Mike

Well, since you have IDPA right in your name, I'll mention there are occasionally action-style rifle matches or side-matches around here.

I am new to rifle shooting.
I have an AR-15.
I was looking at the rifle competitions. From what I have read,it seems most competitions require a larger caliber than.223.
Also no muzzle break.
I was looking at the Reading 2011 schedule.
Is there any format for the AR type rifle?
Yes. You can shoot Service Rifle using an AR, at both Reading and Woburn.

Check these calenders, there are a few straight rifle matches, and a few multi-gun matches as well.

http://independentclub.homestead.com/2011ClubCalendar.html

http://www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.asp

Nauset runs a Zombie Rifle/Carbine match for Halloween that was a blast this past year. The club president told me it was going to be an annual event.

A .223/5.56 gun is ideal for these matches, that is what I have been using. Just make sure you have a few mags and mag pouches/holders.

Any of the Highpower matches listed in the "Rifle Competition" forum will allow .223. In fact, just about everybody does use a .223 AR of some sort.

If you go to the Reading Rifle web page and open the 2011 Match Schedule then click on the blue lettering it will give you the match bulletin.

I have been to many IDPA matches, and have never seen a rifle match
I have shot at Harvard and Pehlham.

Harvard has a USPSA rifle match yearly, and the May IDPA match should have a rifle side-match (pending approval). If it goes well, it might become a semi-regular occurrence.

Didn't know that, thanks! Too much noise, I assume?
For Service Rifle, the rifle can't differ externally from an issued service rifle. Since the US Army doesn't issue M16s and M4s with brakes, you can't use them.

I'm guessing noise is also a reason for match rifles. During a high power rifle, you are often just a few feet from competitors on your right and left.

And a possible competitive advantage. Also, part of Service Rifle is using rifles that, at least on the outside, are similar to issued military rifles.

How do I tell what I have
In my manual they call it a supressor.

Also looking at Reading they just use iron sights at 200/300 yds. Seems pretty far without a scope
Off hand also.
These guys must be very steady with great eyesight.
I'm 51 with bifocals [thinking]

Last edited:
How do I tell what I have
In my manual they call it a supressor.

Also looking at Reading they just use iron sights at 200/300 yds. Seems pretty far without a scope
Off hand also.

It's a shooting competition, not a seeing competition. The target is a huge round bullseye; very easy to see. It gets progressively larger the further back you shoot, but it always looks the same size. I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but I think the black bull is about 6MOA in diameter.
Iron sights all the way to 600, too. Almost everybody who I tell about highpower all say the same thing "there's no way I could even see the target that far away". Believe me, you can see it. If you can see it, you can hit it.

If you have a flash suppressor, you are fine. Brakes may be allowed to fire, but probably down at one end of the range. If you come to Maine to shoot, let me know and you can use one of my rifles. I'd be surprised if the guys down in Reading and Nashua did not offer the same if asked by a new shooter.

Come out to a local action rifle match. The ones Ed listed are fun, especially Independent, very relaxed match, close targets. Your rifle will be perfect for it. As long as the loud end isn't pointed at us, we don't care what you have at the end of your muzzle.

Off hand also.
Typical course of fire is offhand at 200 yards, standing to sitting at 300 yards, standing to prone at 300 yards, and prone at 600 yards.

As PatMcD said, you don't have to have great eyesight. You do need to be able to see the front sight well, and see the target. But the target is large and has excellent contrast between the black bull and the buff background.

Offhand is tough, but everyone sucks when they start. It helps to have a standard AR15 with a 20" barrel, as that has a longer sight radius. You'll also want a target style sling (Turner makes a great one). If you get into it, you'll want national match sights and a better trigger. But I shot my first couple matches with a stock Colt Sporter.

Usually Woburn or Reading will do a service rifle clinic once per year. They may even have loaner rifles. The fee is very cheap and it is a great way to get introduced to the sport.

Typical course of fire is offhand at 200 yards, standing to sitting at 300 yards, standing to prone at 300 yards, and prone at 600 yards.

As PatMcD said, you don't have to have great eyesight. You do need to be able to see the front sight well, and see the target. But the target is large and has excellent contrast between the black bull and the buff background.

Offhand is tough, but everyone sucks when they start. It helps to have a standard AR15 with a 20" barrel, as that has a longer sight radius. You'll also want a target style sling (Turner makes a great one). If you get into it, you'll want national match sights and a better trigger. But I shot my first couple matches with a stock Colt Sporter.

Usually Woburn or Reading will do a service rifle clinic once per year. They may even have loaner rifles. The fee is very cheap and it is a great way to get introduced to the sport.

Thanks guys

Don't be intimidated by it. It's a lot of fun, the shooters are great, and it will really teach you to properly operate a trigger -- you can't slap a trigger at the 600 yard line.

Don't be intimidated by it. It's a lot of fun, the shooters are great, and it will really teach you to properly operate a trigger -- you can't slap a trigger at the 600 yard line.

And when you want to go fast, come look at the schedules I posted, trigger slapping and hosing encouraged.

Welcome to the club!

I'm in the same boat, and have been competing in highpower for seven years now. I did buy a pair of knoblock shooting glasses, and got a special prescription from my eye doctor that sets the focal point of the shooting eye to be right at the front sight. Makes a big difference when you can clearly see the front sight.

I've found that I enjoy HP alot more than some of the other shooting sports. Even though there is alot of preparation and gear to buy, you actually do a good amount of shooting. I compare that to most IDPA events I've done in the past (since 2002) where you stand around for 2-3 hours to do about 3 minutes of actual shooting.

I still like IDPA, though. I'll have to try to get back into it this year. So much shooting, so few weekends.....

AR's are somewhat the norm at most matches I shoot at. You appear to be around Boston, so Harwinton, Quaker Hill, Metacon and Mattabassett (all CT) probably are of little use to you. The latter does a bowling pin shoot with any centerfire rifle: AR, mil-surp, lever, whatever you feel like shooting. I've done action shoots (informal IDPA) with my K31, just because I want to shoot it...I'm not there for any trophy!

Back
Top Bottom