• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Competitions with an AR-15 ?

Yes.

I personally do not believe this statement. There are plenty of well documented shooters in history who did not have the sighting capabilities we have today and still made good shots. Such as Timothy Murphy in the Revolutionary war shooting and killing Gen. Simon Fraser at 500 yards with Kentucky rifle in the Battle of Saratoga. He wasn't using adjustable sights and he wasn't the only example of a good sniper.

If guys could make shots like that with 18th century rifles, I see no reason I cannot learn to shoot a modern AR with irons or an optic without making adjustments and hit what I want to out to at least 400 yards.

Again, I'm not saying I won't tryout HP, do a few matches and learn everything I can. I'm not saying it doesn't take years of practice learning everything about reading distance, wind, mirage, etc that all play into taking that next good shot. I'm willing to put that time in and practice as much as it takes. I just don't buy the "It can't be done" routine when it clearly has been done in the past with much less accurate equipment.

A body target and a HP bullseye are two different things and you can't compare the two.

I'm fully aware all people in this thread would mop the floor with me at a rifle range and I'm am certainly in no way trying to say I'm better or know more, because I'm not and I don't. Again, I'm not saying anything against the way HP is taught, nor saying the methods used are faulty. I want to learn the HP discipline, but I'd also like to learn another way.

It's clear when you look around at ranges that you are forced to shoot HP and qualify in order to even use most ranges out to 600 yards, if not all, in New England. That said I'm not left with a lot of choices in that regard to learn.

I apologize if anyone felt that I was attacking their skill or methodology. That was not anywhere near my intent in this thread. I don't like to learn things only one way. I like to broaden my base and learn different approaches and choose what is best, most challenging and most fun for me personally.

Last edited:
Then come out and shoot Highpower, you will learn something new every day. The National Champ dropped only 4 points out of 2400 this past year, second place dropped 5 points. Remember the rapids 10 shots in 60 seconds with a mag change at 200 and 10 shots in 70 seconds at 300 with a mag change, then there is 600, not to forget 200 offhand.

There are plenty out there. The last Maine state 3 gun had shots out to 600
I think the last 2 Maine state 3 gun had the 600 yard stage. Rocky Mountain 3 Gun normally has bonus targets out around 600 yards. This match is a natural terrain match, held at the Whittington Center in Raton, N.M. MGM Ironman has targets out beyond 600, but, allows a different rifle for that stage, competitor's choice.

Yes.

I personally do not believe this statement. There are plenty of well documented shooters in history who did not have the sighting capabilities we have today and still made good shots. Such as Timothy Murphy in the Revolutionary war shooting and killing Gen. Simon Fraser at 500 yards with Kentucky rifle in the Battle of Saratoga. He wasn't using adjustable sights and he wasn't the only example of a good sniper.

If guys could make shots like that with 18th century rifles, I see no reason I cannot learn to shoot a modern AR with irons or an optic without making adjustments and hit what I want to out to at least 400 yards.
Again, I'm not saying I won't tryout HP, do a few matches and learn everything I can. I'm not saying it doesn't take years of practice learning everything about reading distance, wind, mirage, etc that all play into taking that next good shot. I'm willing to put that time in and practice as much as it takes. I just don't buy the "It can't be done" routine when it clearly has been done in the past with much less accurate equipment.

Said revolutionary war sniper learned how to shoot like that by Trial & Error, probably firing thousands of rds in a wide-open rural America where there was only 1 million people (and the shot was still probably 50% shit luck). Today, the Trial & Error method doesn't work out too well where a miscalculated holdover can go through somebody's front window. Here in the East, I think shooting anything over 300yds without adjustable sights is an invitation to disaster. Even with adjustable sights (scopes too) knowing how to use them is required.
To echo CharlieT, it's not meant to belittle anybody, it's just I'm not sure some people who haven't shot at longer distances understand all the mechanics and variables involved. Safety is the primary concern.

The National Champ dropped only 4 points out of 2400 this past year, second place dropped 5 points.

I think it's safe to say I'll never be anywhere near that kind of level in my lifetime. I didn't grow up shooting, so there's a huge experience gap for me to make up.

I poked around a little bit and definitely want to attend a 3 gun event now as well to see what it's like.

Then come out and shoot Highpower, you will learn something new every day. The National Champ dropped only 4 points out of 2400 this past year, second place dropped 5 points. Remember the rapids 10 shots in 60 seconds with a mag change at 200 and 10 shots in 70 seconds at 300 with a mag change, then there is 600, not to forget 200 offhand.

Service rifle?

I think it's safe to say I'll never be anywhere near that kind of level in my lifetime. I didn't grow up shooting, so there's a huge experience gap for me to make up.

I poked around a little bit and definitely want to attend a 3 gun event now as well to see what it's like.

3 gun is fun.

I've heard the Tim Murphy story before. I'm kind of intrigued by patched round balls and their exterior ballistics now. I bet they make a 45-70 look like a flat shooting varmint cartridge.

I'm sure he hit him, but I'm incredulous about the range. Sniff sniff....smells like shit luck to me.

B

Mike, that rifle does not meet the NRA & CMP definition of a Service Rifle but it does meet the NRA definition of a Match Rifle. So if you want to see what highpower is about, put a USGI canvas sling on it and check "match rifle" on the entry form at any NRA highpower rifle match

Thanks Jose

Back
Top Bottom