Rifle options?

The one that I got was the 16" and had the plastic case. The one he was able to get came with a fifteen so I knew I couldn't have the mag.

Damn, I wish I could have gotten one of those. I wound up with a long barreled one from four seasons.

I could always get it cut and crowned but still. Dammit.

Thanks for the reply though!

I love my garand, but I don't think it is a great rifle for SHTF.

1. Too heavy and too big
2. Jams when it gets muddy
3. Doesn't use external magazines (may or may not be an issue depending on your preferences)
4. Heavy ammunition

A similar but better option in my opinion is the MAS 49/56 rechambered in 308. It's lighter, shorter, more reliable when dirty, and uses external magazines.

Perhaps the first time in recorded history the French MAS has been recommended as a better option for anything.

if store doesn't have in stock, CX4 storm can be easily found from online vendor. $25 transfer fee but no tax. any dealer should transfer a CX4 storm and if they don't then i wouldn't set foot in their shop.

normally CX4 availability would be nonissue but i just peeked at gunbroker and looks like the prices have jacked up quite a bit.

really? they're aperture sights that fold down if needed. the rear sight provides two aperture options for long or shorter range. i find them better than 95% of other stock iron sights on the market. different strokes for different folks [grin]

Yeah it wasn't that the sights were poor quality or anything, they were well made, but it was about how they were positioned on the stock, made me have to shove my head down uncomfortably low and close to see through them. Same problem with the Sub2k (although that rifle had really cheesy sights).

I did a little searching here, but couldn't find my answer. While I wasn't 100% with Trumps stance/campaign when it came to firearms, I now know that there doesn't seem to be any immediate change imminent to MA laws.

So seeing as AR-15's are banned from sale in MA: what rifle for home protection/range use would be worth looking into?

I'm sure this unrest in the country will settle at some point (stupid idiots rioting against Trump's election before he even gets to work...), but I'm thinking a rifle to supplement my handgun would be a wise purchase at this time for the home.

One rifle that caught my eye was the CX4 storm, but I wasn't sure if there were others that were worth a look?
Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle in .223 is a good choice. Get the stainless version. This model has integral bases for quick and convenient scope mounting. Very reliable and durable, as are all Ruger products.

.223 doesn't penetrate as much as people think. Sawicki1991, check out the Box of Truth - 9mm penetrates more than you would expect and 223 less.

OP - if you want a 223 rifle, check out a mini-14 or a Tavor.

I know for a fact 223 will pass through 2 sheets of drywall and a piece of exterior plywood with ease. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of a wall from one being fired.

I know for a fact 223 will pass through 2 sheets of drywall and a piece of exterior plywood with ease. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of a wall from one being fired.

Can you suggest something that wouldn't? Short of beanbags (which will definitely go through the drywall), I can't think of anything that wouldn't penetrate that.

Unless you live in a sparsely populated area I would shy away from a rifle for home defense. A 5.56(Ar15) 7.62(Ak47) will easily punch through several interior and exterior walls with ease. I'd look into a keltec KSG for home defense it holds 14 rounds of 12ga and is very easy to operate and is small enough to use in a home with less chance of over penetration.

Less of a chance to over penetrate? Yea maybe with bird shot but good luck having enough penetration for a stoppage.

This is why you use 75grain TAP for 556 or 110 gr Barnes Tac-Tx black tips for 300aac in your AR for home defense.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The 16 inch barrel of a carbine does wonders out of pistol ammo. the 155/165 grains add 200 fps approximately. 9mm you can get APPROX. 1600 FPS .out of a 115 grain +p Also can hit targets up to 75/100 yards. Try that with a pistol !If I were in the market I would buy a beretta carbine in a heartbeat!
I have a ruger PC4 also have mini 14 for beyond 100 yards. I'd recommend them, since AR15's are off limits right now

- - - Updated - - -

[I never said to look at a pistol caliber carbine
No but the OP Gizzygone did mention it in his post, so it's worth talking about

Less of a chance to over penetrate? Yea maybe with bird shot but good luck having enough penetration for a stoppage.

This is why you use 75grain TAP for 556 or 110 gr Barnes Tac-Tx black tips for 300aac in your AR for home defense.

Those are lower velocity so would penetrate more at short range I thought?

Can you suggest something that wouldn't? Short of beanbags (which will definitely go through the drywall), I can't think of anything that wouldn't penetrate that.
We use #4 Buckshot. Speer make a "Tactical" 12 ga load and Federal makes a 20 ga. Load.

Those are lower velocity so would penetrate more at short range I thought?
Well I should have mentioned I use an sbr for home defense but even with a 16" 75 TAP around 2400 at 15'. Ive seen tests into ballistics gel that have a wound track length around 19" in total. Massive wound cavity at 8". Jacket at 10" and bullet fragments up to 19".

The Barnes 110 Black tips are pretty much the pinnacle of 300aac home defense ammo for sbrs tho.

Last edited:
I have never understood the lack of love for the mini 14 here. A friend of mine had purchased one in the early 1980's and never had a problem. Shoots better than I can as well. Now that AR 15's are not available I'M looking at one for my son. Recently I looked at the Keltec KSG. I thought I would buy one b/4 the queen outlawed them. Very high on the cool factor, but way too many buttons and such to pay attention to in a SHTF HD situation. Decided to keep my Winchester 1300 pump as HD firepower in addition to the GP100.
So +1 on the pump shotgun rec.

I have never understood the lack of love for the mini 14 here. A friend of mine had purchased one in the early 1980's and never had a problem. Shoots better than I can as well. Now that AR 15's are not available I'M looking at one for my son. Recently I looked at the Keltec KSG. I thought I would buy one b/4 the queen outlawed them. Very high on the cool factor, but way too many buttons and such to pay attention to in a SHTF HD situation. Decided to keep my Winchester 1300 pump as HD firepower in addition to the GP100.
So +1 on the pump shotgun rec.
I think mini 14 would get more love if it used ar magazines.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

If you want a rifle an sks fits the bill. Fixed 10 round mag. Norinko and even yugo models can be found for about $400. I love my norinko.

I think mini 14 would get more love if it used ar magazines.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

That and stock adjustable M1 carbine style sights, integral picatinny rail rail from the get go, the M1 carbine side swivel swing mount and stock the French have with their AMD variant of their police Mini14s, and more front sight post options, would get more people interested in them now that the pencil barrel issues have been rectified.

I don't understand why most of the aftermarket goodies for the mini14 WON'T work for the newer 580+ series rifles. With CA, and such, you'd think someone would make more aftermarket parts available.

It irks me that Magpul doesn't make 10 rounders for those of us stuck in ban states either. All the non Ruger factory magazines suck!

I'm sure this unrest in the country will settle at some point (stupid idiots rioting against Trump's election before he even gets to work...), but I'm thinking a rifle to supplement my handgun would be a wise purchase at this time for the home.
I'd review carefully what your needs are, determine if there's a reason you need a rifle.

Personally, if all I had was a single handgun, I'd start by getting a second handgun in the same caliber. If you buy the same make and frame as you already have, you can think of it as a complete set of spare parts (while you're at it, buy a set of spare parts).

Back
Top Bottom