Rifle season starts tomorrow in Maine.

Wow, I thought MA sucks, but at least we don’t have to wait for a certain time in year to use a rifle.
You can use a rifle in MA on Sept 7th to the 25th, then again for the rest of the year starting October 16th. No orange needed either unless your on a WMA.
Wow, I thought MA sucks, but at least we don’t have to wait for a certain time in year to use a rifle.
Use a rifle......you didn't specify for deer.

I was out almost every day for at least a few hours. Kept an eye on the "Maine Deer Hunters" Facebook page and was seeing tons of big bucks being shot, along with a ton of does. I was sitting on 3 deer tags (normal buck, an any-deer, and 2 bonus permits). I gave one of the bonus permits away to a local veteran. I was feeling pretty confidant. But every day..... nothing. I passed on a small doe the second week.
Finally, the last day of regular rifle season got here (yesterday). I was up almost the entire night before because my dog had diarrhea. Went out in the morning....nothing. Took a nap until about 3. I dragged myself outside thinking "well, there's almost 1.5hrs of season left; can't kill one sitting on the couch". Went out to my hut, not feeling confidant at all. 4pm rolled around and I'm thinking "November was the biggest waste of my time....." I was looking at a squirrel who was pissing me off, when I heard leaves moving to my left. Looked over, and there's a friggin deer! Not 50 ft from my blind. Funny looking horns on him, but F it; the only shootable deer I've seen this year. Bang.
20211127_161611.jpg20211127_173438.jpg

I used a 1903 sporter in 7x57AI. Bullet didn't do much but blast a hole through both lungs and nicked the heat. He went about 50 yards and he was done.
Cleaning a deer in the pitch black night SUCKS.

I was out almost every day for at least a few hours. Kept an eye on the "Maine Deer Hunters" Facebook page and was seeing tons of big bucks being shot, along with a ton of does. I was sitting on 3 deer tags (normal buck, an any-deer, and 2 bonus permits). I gave one of the bonus permits away to a local veteran. I was feeling pretty confidant. But every day..... nothing. I passed on a small doe the second week.
Finally, the last day of regular rifle season got here (yesterday). I was up almost the entire night before because my dog had diarrhea. Went out in the morning....nothing. Took a nap until about 3. I dragged myself outside thinking "well, there's almost 1.5hrs of season left; can't kill one sitting on the couch". Went out to my hut, not feeling confidant at all. 4pm rolled around and I'm thinking "November was the biggest waste of my time....." I was looking at a squirrel who was pissing me off, when I heard leaves moving to my left. Looked over, and there's a friggin deer! Not 50 ft from my blind. Funny looking horns on him, but F it; the only shootable deer I've seen this year. Bang.
View attachment 546724View attachment 546725

I used a 1903 sporter in 7x57AI. Bullet didn't do much but blast a hole through both lungs and nicked the heat. He went about 50 yards and he was done.
Cleaning a deer in the pitch black night SUCKS.
Good for you. I wish had more time to hunt my land in Maine. Nice rifle by the way.

Back
Top Bottom