Rifle Sling suggestions / help

Laderbuilt

NES Member
I am going to be giving my son his first rifle for his birthday.
It is a Henry Youth in .22. Which was purchased thru a group buy here a while back šŸ˜. As my title says I need suggestions / help for a sling.

I have considered the ā€œBrass Tackerā€ it is very nice but I donā€™t think it will hold up to a 10yr old boy new to his first rifle.
Concern mainly comes from its tube clamp design. Now I have one of these and it is nice in looks and does the job for me but I donā€™t consider it ā€œrobustā€. Beyond that the only other sling I have is for an AR so my experience and knowledge is LIMITED.

Requirement in a sling.
1: Quality
2: Can stand up to ā€œ youth abuseā€ from material to attachment method
3: Pleasing to the eye
4: Functional.

I am open to suggestions as well as possible places to do a high quality install if need be

So I hope I can expand my knowledge base with the help of the folks here on NES.

Thanks for your time and help

Retro fit a service rifle sling. He will break the rifle 1st.
Then ask if a sling is really needed at this point?

If I'm understanding correctly, your concern is that the tube mounted sling swivel won't hold up to a 10 year old? I suppose you could mount a machine screw sling swivel like Grovtec's up front, but I have no idea if the fore end wood on a Henry will hold up any better than a tube mount swivel. Don't own one, you see - I'd be concerned with how thick the wood is where the screw would go through, and how solid the handguard attaches to the rifle. It might be worth calling up Henry and asking if they've heard of or seen any failures of the tube mounted swivels like they offer; and ask what they think of mounting in the front handguard.

I'm also a fan of the old USGI cotton sling. That STI one linked by wiryone1 above looks good, too.

If I'm understanding correctly, your concern is that the tube mounted sling swivel won't hold up to a 10 year old? I suppose you could mount a machine screw sling swivel like Grovtec's up front, but I have no idea if the fore end wood on a Henry will hold up any better than a tube mount swivel. Don't own one, you see - I'd be concerned with how thick the wood is where the screw would go through, and how solid the handguard attaches to the rifle. It might be worth calling up Henry and asking if they've heard of or seen any failures of the tube mounted swivels like they offer; and ask what they think of mounting in the front handguard.

I'm also a fan of the old USGI cotton sling. That STI one linked by wiryone1 above looks good, too.
Thank for reading thru my gibberish. Yes thatā€™s one of my concerns.

I have never mounted a sling besides the two mentioned.
The AR was already prepped from factory for a sling so that one was straight forward. And the brass tack one I got because I felt it completed the ā€œlookā€ of my rifle I was after while offering some utility as well.
I am green, new, ignorant, etc to slings (however I am trying to learn) and I want to give my son a rifle with a sling on it so when he gets my age he wonā€™t be ignorant like me.
As well as share the knowledge I learn on how to use a sling with him.

So I donā€™t know the best way to attach a sling even more so on

In general, I don't like any sling that has any stretch and/or padding.

I like that mount setup. Seems rugged. However I wouldnā€™t install my self for reasons.

anyone know of a good Smith in the Worcester area that can do something like that?

In regards to @pupchow's video, (and not related to OP's question... ) I will start a swivel hole in finished wood stocks by using the drill in reverse, and only boring in about 1/8 to 3/16 inches
then continue drilling with bit rotating in correct direction. This process has greatly reduced wood "break-out" and chipping. (Still use masking tape and pilot holes too...)

Nothing worse than ruining a beautiful walnut stock...

Back
Top Bottom