• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Transportation

I am aware that if you are transporting a high capacity rifle in your car that it must be unloaded and locked up. Does this still apply if the rifle is under your direct control?

The answer is that there is no exemption for direct control of large-capacity long guns, sorry. They all must be locked when in a vehicle.

The law itself is relatively straightforward by Massachusetts standards, it’s worth reading: General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131C

Part (b) is what you want. (a) is only for “firearms” which (in this context of rifled-barrel guns) are things with barrels under 16” like pistols.

Last edited:
Here, let me click the link for you.
No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall possess the large capacity rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless the large capacity rifle or shotgun is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

As long as the case is locked and gun unloaded, it follows the letter of the law, no matter where it is.

That’s assuming you have 11+ round mags with you. If you don’t, you don’t even need to case or lock it. Because the law doesn’t discuss “non large capacity rifles”.

My suggestion would be to hide the case from view so you don’t HAVE to have a gun conversation if you get pulled over, but that’s not required.

In a hatchback (not that I would buy one), there is a usually a removable panel lifts up and down when you open and close the lid. Does this count as the passenger compartment? What if I want to have a "LaRgE CaPaCiTy RiFlE ooOOo" at the ready in my trunk but not loaded. What if you're a high speed low drag operator with a Honda Fit, and can't have all that case/padlock crap in the way.

1664671684766.png

I am aware that if you are transporting a high capacity rifle in your car that it must be unloaded and locked up. Does this still apply if the rifle is under your direct control?
Yes. You can not carry a large capacity rifle in a vehicle unless it is locked, no matter whether it is or is not under you control.

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the MA laws and learn how to use Google to find the section that you need. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

You should read this yourself, instead of relying on some unknown person on the internet like me.

Section 131C: Carrying of firearms in a vehicle​

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall possess the large capacity rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless the large capacity rifle or shotgun is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000....

Last edited:
In a hatchback (not that I would buy one), there is a usually a removable panel lifts up and down when you open and close the lid. Does this count as the passenger compartment? What if I want to have a "LaRgE CaPaCiTy RiFlE ooOOo" at the ready in my trunk but not loaded. What if you're a high speed low drag operator with a Honda Fit, and can't have all that case/padlock crap in the way.

View attachment 668488
There is nothing in the law about in the passenger compartment or not in the passenger compartment. It needs to be in a locked trunk or locked case or secure container. I suspect it would be hard to argue that the back of a hatchback is a "locked trunk". Just put it in a case and lock the case. It's not hard.

Last edited:
Yes. You can not carry a large capacity rifle in a vehicle unless it is locked, no matter whether it is or is not under you control.

I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the MA laws and learn how to use Google to find the section that you need. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

You should read this yourself, instead of relying on some unknown person on the internet like me.
I guess the next time I buy a long gun I should bring my own lockable case? Cause I walked out of the Mill with a new Sig MPX in it's original cardboard case.

Riddle me this Batman. If I separate the upper from the lower, is it no longer a firearm per MA definition?

I guess the next time I buy a long gun I should bring my own lockable case? Cause I walked out of the Mill with a new Sig MPX in it's original cardboard case.

Riddle me this Batman. If I separate the upper from the lower, is it no longer a firearm per MA definition?
Yes, you should bring a case. I doubt that separating the upper and lower would change how the court sees the transport statute.

Yes, the law is stupid. But you wouldn’t like the consequences of being caught breaking it.

I know a few guys at my club who do this. I told them I have no idea if that would hold up in court. They’re overly confident that it would…😬🤷🏻‍♂️
I also tell them to put the rifles in a locked case since they drive a truck with no locking trunk etc.

FFL's aren't responsible for your lack of legal transportation law following. Why would you not bring a case if your going to buy a long gun. Keep a spare trigger lock in the vehicle for impulse purchases.

FFL's aren't responsible for your lack of legal transportation law following. Why would you not bring a case if your going to buy a long gun. Keep a spare trigger lock in the vehicle for impulse purchases.
A trigger lock is suitable to comply with the storage statute but not the transport statute. The transport statute requires a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container.

Back
Top Bottom