• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle VS Pistol

McReef

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe I read something on this elsewhere, but can’t seem to locate the discussion specific to this question.

Scenario: Person X has a legally registered standard pistol within MA. The barrel on said pistol is swapped to something greater than 16”.

Question: Is the device in question now considered a rifle, and subject to rifle law/decree, or is the device still a pistol, subject to pistol law/decree?

I am wondering about MA law specifically here. Not sale, just possession and use, assuming person X is not LEO, an FFL, or anything else special other than a Class A High Cap permit holder.

Thank you.

nstassel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well Ch. 140 S 121 says: ''Rifle'', a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From ATF Website:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?
Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length. Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 C.F.R. § 479.11; ATF Ruling 2011-4]

However, I think once you go pistol to rifle, you can't then go back to pistol at a later point.

CrackPot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Pistol conversion to Rifle is ok
Any rifled barrel 16"+ weapon is a rifle under MA law.

What are you concerned about? As a rifle it is subject to the rifle AWB, so do a rifle feature test.

I think without more details (what pistol, what barrel, what final configuration) it is hard to give a good answer

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
From ATF Website:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?
Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length. Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 C.F.R. § 479.11; ATF Ruling 2011-4]

However, I think once you go pistol to rifle, you can't then go back to pistol at a later point.

As long as it started life as a pistol you can go back and forth from a federal standpoint. I will often throw a brace on a registered SBR lower if I failed to file a 5320.20 in time. With a brace you can leave it loaded on the the front seat of the truck here in PA, in its SBR form it has to be unloaded.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it started life as a pistol you can go back and forth from a federal standpoint. I will often throw a brace on a registered SBR lower if I failed to file a 5320.20 in time. With a brace you can leave it loaded on the the front seat of the truck here in PA, in its SBR form it has to be unloaded.

Thank you--good to know. Disregard my comment then.

Top Bottom