Riley's (Hookset) Safari Report

My friend and I went to Riley's yesterday. He has $300 that he was dying to buy something bangy with and I wanted to see the place. When we got there, it looked like the food riot scene in Soylent Green. Ammo and guns going out the door as fast as they could ring folks up. I got 500 rounds of CCI Subsonic .22. My friend got a used lever action .30-30 (the cartridge that answers the question that is never asked) for $275 and a box of ammo.

A single WASR crapo was there for $650. The Golden Tiger 7.62x39 was $249/1000 and folks were buying it like it was the last ammo on the Earth. Lots of Obama fear.

i also bought a few guns at the Barn store. They serve breakfast ,sell boots and lumber ,firearms and chainsaws. It's man heaven. I also like Brad Marshall at Marshalls firearms in Boscawen. I feel pretty lucky to have such good folks right in the neighborhood.

This whole Obama gun buying craze is getting out of hand. Not just that, it is stupid, too. Everyone relax for a bit!

Brad is a member at my gun club. He's a solid guy. Tim we must be neighbors. I just bought some of that Golden Tiger at Rileys. Ammo is getting tough to come buy. I was buying up all the Blazer Brass 45 I could at Wally World but now every store in SO NH is out. I heard that the guys at Manchester Firing Line are about to open a wholesale to the public ammo store in Manch in the next couple of weeks

i also bought a few guns at the Barn store. They serve breakfast ,sell boots and lumber ,firearms and chainsaws. It's man heaven. I also like Brad Marshall at Marshalls firearms in Boscawen. I feel pretty lucky to have such good folks right in the neighborhood.

This whole Obama gun buying craze is getting out of hand. Not just that, it is stupid, too. Everyone relax for a bit!

I'm saving my gun buying money for when a ban is more evident...then I can buy a lot for another spike then.

I was there within the last two weeks. Nice shop, but could use some organization... every time you turn around you run into a pile of ammo! I guess its their plan, spread it out so you'll have to search the entire store for it.

I'm saving my gun buying money for when a ban is more evident...then I can buy a lot for another spike then.

You're joking, right? Then it'll be too late... once news of an upcoming ban goes out, you'll have maybe a few hours to rush to the store to buy the more popular stuff at the stores before they sell out.

You're joking, right? Then it'll be too late... once news of an upcoming ban goes out, you'll have maybe a few hours to rush to the store to buy the more popular stuff at the stores before they sell out.
I presume he was being sarcastic...

Besides, Bostonasphalt just wants everyone else to slow down so he can stock up[rofl]

Of the bobcat? Yes I did. I've seen a couple here in the last two winters. Crossing the road in the middle of the day no less. I've had a couple of reputable hunters in town tell me about lions around here. I'm doubtful, but they swear they've seen them.
Timber,
I've heard stories of the mountain lion too. I put up pictures of the farm stand on the page before.

DEEREDRIVER are from Boscawen? Timber, did you see the pics I put up on the coyote thread?

I'm over in Loudon. I work for the DOT and I do a lot of work in Boscawen. In fact I'm one of the guys that repaved part of the main street in town last summer. I shoot at Sunset Mountain

Of the bobcat? Yes I did. I've seen a couple here in the last two winters. Crossing the road in the middle of the day no less. I've had a couple of reputable hunters in town tell me about lions around here. I'm doubtful, but they swear they've seen them.

I too have heard stories of a mountian lion in town. a farmer told me that one got a sick cow of his. He says he had pictures of the tracks and that when Fish & Game came they asked for them and never returned them. He swears he's seen one a couple of times over by the Webster town line

I stopped frequenting Rileys about six months ago due to the frenzy you're describing. Lewis Arms at the Bow Junction in Concord, NH has a great selection, knowledgeable people, plenty of ammo, and is never as crowded as Rileys. The Barn Store in Salisbury, NH also has a decent selection of new and used firearms, great selection of ammo, and a counter guy named Ben who can find you anything you're looking for if you're willing to wait.

I love the guys at Rileys, but it's become such a zoo recently that it's barely worth the trip anymore.

I second the vote on Lewis Arms.

Maybe it's just the frenzy, but I didn't have fun at Riley's, too crowded and I felt rushed. Lewis was crowded and I had to wait a bit for help, but the service was impeccable. Riley's does have good ammo prices though.

I presume he was being sarcastic...

Besides, Bostonasphalt [actually it was Doobie] just wants everyone else to slow down so he can stock up[rofl]

I see, I should have caught the sarcasm, especially since Doobie is probably the only person here who is more sarcastic than me. [laugh]

I spent $6k in the days around Nov 4th. I need a break. Hopefully I'll be able to buy again before any ban is on the horizon.

I don't find Riley's to bad that poorly organized. Yeah some are better some are worse. Riley's definitely isn't that bad. Then again I live right near and go there often so most of them recognize me by face if not by name.

Guys,

Do you have an address and/or phone number for Lewis Arms.
Direction from Boston will be helpful too.

Thank you

My cousin swore she saw one (and she's no stranger to wild animals) near the farm. :shrug:

I had something similar about two years ago. A large coyote/wolf ran in front of me on my road near the webster line (state forest) about 5am

I stopped frequenting Rileys about six months ago due to the frenzy you're describing. Lewis Arms at the Bow Junction in Concord, NH has a great selection, knowledgeable people, plenty of ammo, and is never as crowded as Rileys. The Barn Store in Salisbury, NH also has a decent selection of new and used firearms, great selection of ammo, and a counter guy named Ben who can find you anything you're looking for if you're willing to wait.

I love the guys at Rileys, but it's become such a zoo recently that it's barely worth the trip anymore.
Lewis? They are pricks! Went there the night before duck season last year and the jerk behind the counter never even lowered his newspaper. BTW I was not the only one at the counter. Never again!!!!! We all walked out.

my impression is that they're here. coming down from canada. the habitat has replenished itself, and they've returned. F&G hushes up any report so as not to alarm anyone. i don't think they've put down roots... mostly just winter hunting. still makes you think twice when letting small kids play in the back 40 though.

Tim- i saw the photographs of the fruit stand. awesome work! we'll be regulars once it's up and running.

oh yeah... wolf sightings are making the rounds, too. i saw one myself. or at least a coyote the size of an alaskan malamute. running alone.

Think about it, Crossing The St. Lawrence river and great lakes. NH Coyotes have Wolf DNA, check the NH fish & game site. Lewis arms still sucks.

Tim where is your stand?

6-16-08136.jpg
It's my neighbor Joe Pustizzi's farm stand it is across the road from me (corn hill rd) just past the deer farm.

There is an interesting story to that. Joe (owner) drew a crude picture with a pencil and showed it to Mark Wyman (another neighbor and excellent craftsman) .Mark looked and said "yeah I know what you want" and built it this way. Stop by this spring/summer it's got some nice beam work inside. Joe has several hundred acres and were looking into some periodic atv rides also.

Lewis? They are pricks! Went there the night before duck season last year and the jerk behind the counter never even lowered his newspaper. BTW I was not the only one at the counter. Never again!!!!! We all walked out.

I went in there after the last Manchester gun show... the guy behind the counter was on the phone to the owner (who was at the show). The guy behind the counter loudly counted the people in the shop and then decided that "they don't look like they have any money". I had gone in to pick up a usp they had for sale on gunsamerica and had a decent wad of cash in my pocket.... me and my cash walked out the door (it ended up working out, I didn't get the hk but ended up finding an AR in stock from Bob Lee in Londonderry).

I did email Brad (the owner) and let him know about my experience. He did apologize but told me the guy working was ex military and not always the most tactful guy in the world. I definitely appreciated the response but that experience along with a few others where their customer service was lacking have lead them to be the last stop on my list if I'm looking for something.

I went into Lewis Arms about two years ago.The man at the counter asked if he could help and I replied that a co-worker had recomended the place and I was just looking around. He never said another word to me the rest of my time there. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go back sometime but I usually go to Marshalls or The Barn store for my firearms needs. One thing I like about those two is they speak highly of each other.

Back
Top Bottom