• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rl 550b questions

So If I answer my phone and loose concentration while driving is it my cars fault for allowing me to drive into oncoming traffic?

What you have just described is a common scenario with many tools, and is not a result of a defect in the tool but in the operator. I have witnessed more than one industrial accident that has transpired exactly as you have said. Most accidents are not with inexperienced users, as they maintain a high level of respect for what they are doing. They are far more likely to happen to the experienced user with many years of experience on the given tool or process. I saw one guy with 30 years of experience in high end furniture and cabinet making loose two fingers on a $35000 sliding table saw. It wasn't the sliding table saws fault that he ran his hand through it, nor was it the company's safety policy's or OSHA's... The user disregarded standard safety procedures and was too pre occupied with finishing the task and made a costly mistake. There was nothing "debatable" is this negligence is this scenario and neither was is the scenario you posted. If your not going to follow the rules that keep you safe, eventually you will pay the price.

I don't think I said it was anything but operator error.

The OP asked for reasons why the 650 is better than the 550. I just wanted to point out that it is much easier to make a mistake with the 550 than it is with the 650. I know you have one, I'm not blaming the machine.

I don't think I said it was anything but operator error.

The OP asked for reasons why the 650 is better than the 550. I just wanted to point out that it is much easier to make a mistake with the 550 than it is with the 650. I know you have one, I'm not blaming the machine.

My post wasn't really intended to defend the 550, more to point out that mechanical safeties and safety procedure can always be defeated in a lapse of concentration. Also pointing out that those "experienced" are most likely to have an issue as they have built a comfort level and routine with what they are doing.

As far as the 650 being better, yes of course it is. But that may not always be practical or needed. I'm pretty sure if I had the room I would have purchased a 650. But, after owning the 550 I'm positive that I now want one of each.

So hopefully not to hijack this... but I just picked up a .45-70 (and I also have a .500) and I'm curious if anyone uses their XL650 to load these?

For the casefeeder or drop tube to work with these large calibers, you need the Dillon magnum rifle case feed kit - $110. It's expensive, and I don't imagine that swapping the casefeed assembly components to be a quick effort. Are people just single feeding cases? That would appear to be awkward on the XL650 to do repeatedly.

I'm posting this here because I'm wondering if maybe I should get a RL 550B for this instead. I'm looking to upgrade my production of .500 Magnum from a single stage anyway.

I don't load .45-70 on it, but I do load .500 on a 650 and it requires a similar special powder die and case feeder parts. Here's what I do:

I didn't bother with the oversized powder die. I love the Hornady powder measure a lot more than the Dillon measures, which are pretty good. I have Dillon measures on most of my handgun caliber toolheads, but I use a Hornady measure that I move around for rifle calibers and the .500 and .460. I got several Hornady powder dies, and I can swap and move around the powder measure with no tools.

I decided not to get the magnum feed kit because I don't load anything that requires it in large quantities. I might load a maximum of 500 rounds of these calibers at a time, but it's usually more like 200 - which is hardly enough to warrant ripping apart the casefeeder. Instead, I use a short section of clear tube in place of the casefeeder tube, which i fill manually with about 8 cases at a time. You can also remove the tube completely, and drop cases into the adapter one at a time. It's actually easier than loading the cases under the shell plate on a 550, so it does not slow down the process.

Last edited:
I don't load .45-70 on it, but I do load .500 on a 650 and it requires a similar special powder die and case feeder parts. Here's what I do:

I didn't bother with the oversized powder die. I love the Hornady powder measure a lot more than the Dillon measures, which are pretty good. I have Dillon measures on most of my handgun caliber toolheads, but I use a Hornady measure that I move around for rifle calibers and the .500 and .460. I got several Hornady powder dies, and I can swap and move around the powder measure with no tools.

I decided not to get the magnum feed kit because I don't load anything that requires it in large quantities. I might load a maximum of 500 rounds of these calibers at a time, but it's usually more like 200 - which is hardly enough to warrant ripping apart the casefeeder. Instead, I use a short section of clear tube in place of the casefeeder tube, which i fill manually with about 8 cases at a time. You can also remove the tube completely, and drop cases into the adapter one at a time. It's actually easier than loading the cases under the shell plate on a 550, so it does not slow down the process.

So that works without changing anything else? It looks like the magnum casefeed kit comes with a couple tubes and two assemblies - one for the press, and one for the casefeeder itself.

Also pointing out that those "experienced" are most likely to have an issue as they have built a comfort level and routine with what they are doing.

Semi-related...

Back in the day, I remember reading an article about a study that was done regarding on-the-job fatalities in the construction industry. One of the results that surprised the people doing the study was the avg. number of years on the job for people killed was 8+ years. Their theory was newbies were extra careful, being new on the job. After some time, people become complacent and tend to cut corners and things become routine to the point that they arent always as alert and careful as they should be because its become "old hat" to them. Thats when you can get yourself in trouble.

I've owned a 550 for a long time. I'm a casual shooter, not belonging to any leagues or shooting competitively, and it's one hell of a great machine for all my needs. The one problem I had with it was that I had worn it out after many years and didn't realize it. Once I sent it back for a rebuild, it's now humming along like it has for most of it's life. I load a fair amount of rifle and handgun ammunition with it. It's not what has been referred to as 'a more error prone' machine. If you have your head somewhere else when reloading, you shouldn't reload, period. I can get into some great rhythm loading and have never counted the 'rounds per hour' as I enjoy the time I spend doing it and I'm not rushing to meet some competitive objective but taking my time insuring that the quality of my efforts, rather than quantity, produce the best result. Additionally, the setup and ongoing materials coordination (primer, powder, bullet, case), which nobody factors in when calculating the infamous RPH, really affects this when included in the equation. If production is what you are looking for, go to the 650. I know nothing about the 650 except whatever I've read. I did have an LNL and did not like it. I didn't have a case feeder on it and I thought it was more difficult to use like that, when compared to the 550.

Last edited:
So between price, the amount of shooting Im currently doing, and the amount of time available for reloading, Im going to go with the 550. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to reply. [thumbsup]

I don't think you'll be disappointed. A wise choice for a superb machine.

Had a 550 and it worked for me about a year and half than I got a deal in a 650 and never looked back it's the best but it costs a lot more per set up. But if I were you I would get the 650 and buy once.

Starting with loading primer tubes and ending with rounds in plastic boxes, I can load about 300 per hour. 550 an hour all in? I stand by my NF way.

I load 300 per hour on a 550 too and that rate suits me fine. I would feel like I was really rushing to go any faster than that. I gage check every round later (usually while watching tv in the evening)

Back
Top Bottom