Road Rage Shooting in WA- Female rider kills driver

as a biker i always felt anyone on a bike killed by a car should be considered assault with deadly weapon, or murder.
this should be interesting for sure.....

Witnesses told responding troopers that a physical dispute ensued, which ended when the woman shot the man.
Sounds pretty straight forward. Self defense.

Sounds like an ambush to me. Should probably let the police complete their investigation but I predict some kind of criminal charges.

Shooter's name is Aubrey Bowlin. Her social media stuff is findable - pictame.com(@tlkdrty2m) Guilty or not guilty?

21372378_270935436644196_3738386018869444608_n.jpg

21568688_684697995073969_5235747773013295104_n.jpg

20687369_1981720238731497_8036651768148393984_n.jpg

A Roy man was shot dead Thursday afternoon following a physical altercation after two drivers had stopped due to stalled traffic on Interstate 5 just south of the Pierce/King county line.

The deceased, Bruce W. Jones, 60, Roy, was driving in his 2017 silver GMC Terrain south on I-5 near milepost 138 in the HOV lane. Aubrey T. Bowlin, 24, Tacoma, was also driving south on I-5 on a Yamaha YZFR6 motorcycle, in front of Jones’ GMC.

Traffic in front of them was stopped. Bowling stopped for the traffic in the HOV lane. Jones stopped on the left shoulder parallel to the motorcycle. Both drivers exited their vehicles and started fighting.

Bowlin fired one shot at Jones who was pronounced dead at the scene by Tacoma Fire. Bowlin was injured and transported to St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way. Her motorcycle was impounded to the State Patrol bullpen. Susan A. Jones, 57, Roy, a passenger in the GMC, was uninjured.

I-5 Altercation Results in Death of Roy Man

Clearly not guilty...i can only imagine the verbal altercation leading to the physical altercation.
Guy should have not exited the vehicle, if I'm on my bike and there's going to be a physical altercation, you have to get off your bike or risk some 60 yr old pushing you over.. sitting at a stop on your bike isnt a very defenable position..
I more than like wouldnt find myself in this situation, i just use the breakdown lanes and lines.. best part about a bike.

So a 60 year old gets into a fistfight with a 23 year old female because she's riding single in the HOV lane and he gets shot dead over it. It will be interesting to see the guys previous history.

So a 60 year old gets into a fistfight with a 23 year old female because she's riding single in the HOV lane and he gets shot dead over it. It will be interesting to see the guys previous history.

Was that established as reason for confrontation? Motorcycles are permitted by Federal law to use HOV lane, even as a single rider.

I'm not familiar with WA gun/self defense laws, but I'm curious what would prompt the use of lethal force in this situation? Was the guy armed with something? Knife? baseball bat?

I don't think the entire story is out yet. The media has to post up something, because, Gun, but if she truly is military, as someone suggested, she should be familiar with appropriate use of force.

It also appears that man's wife (or other kin) was in the vehicle, watching all this. I can only imagine what her testimony will be.

If Bowlin was sufficiently injured to justify a trip to the hospital, she may have a good ground for self defense. Man stops, get out of car and goes after her- clearly plays well in her defense.

I'm not familiar with WA gun/self defense laws, but I'm curious what would prompt the use of lethal force in this situation? Was the guy armed with something? Knife? baseball bat?

I don't think the entire story is out yet. The media has to post up something, because, Gun, but if she truly is military, as someone suggested, she should be familiar with appropriate use of force.
In my opinion, when someone gets out of a vehicle and attacks you, you don't have to submit to a beating. If he was the aggressor she had every right to ventilate him. How many people have been recently murdered by someone punching them in the head, or knocking them to the ground and causing a brain injury. Don't attack someone and then cry when they pop you. AND....."Not Guilty!"

In my opinion, when someone gets out of a vehicle and attacks you, you don't have to submit to a beating. If he was the aggressor she had every right to ventilate him. How many people have been recently murdered by someone punching them in the head, or knocking them to the ground and causing a brain injury. Don't attack someone and then cry when they pop you. AND....."Not Guilty!"

You basically have to submit to the beating in MA, since the courts typically hold both sides responsible no matter what. Shoot someone in that situation, especially if you're on a bike and can maneuver your way out through the breakdown lanes, and you've got a good chance of being charged with murder. We don't need self help here, remember.

You basically have to submit to the beating in MA, since the courts typically hold both sides responsible no matter what. Shoot someone in that situation, especially if you're on a bike and can maneuver your way out through the breakdown lanes, and you've got a good chance of being charged with murder. We don't need self help here, remember.
God I love New Hampshire!

At least in MA, the defense can introduce the reputation and record of the party one is asserting a claim of self defense against (Commonwealth v. Adjutant). In many states (not sure about WA), the fact that the other party is a known dirtbag cannot be admitted unless the defending person can prove (s)he knew that information at the time of the allegedly defensive act.

I wonder if the fact that she stopped, obviously knowing 100% there would be a confrontation, would play into this? If she rode away, nothing would have happened. Clearly on a bike she could easily do that. Pulling over, expecting there to be a confrontation, was she already locked and loaded ready to shoot? Hmmmm. Seems a bit premeditated.

Oh, but yeah, "not guilty!"

Last edited:
If she had LE status the headline would have been "Off duty officer protects self".

She may have a fighting chance because she stuck around and did not act like she had done anything wrong. A real issue is going to be how much credibility the related witness is going to have given the obvious bias in perception.

As to pulling away - I've driven I5 and in rush hour it's about as bad as a major highway can get. She may not have realized how far the situation was escalating when she made a decision not to violate traffic laws and use the breakdown lane. "Stop beating me so I can get on my bike and restart the engine". Remember, it's not like in martial arts school where the aggressor faces off, snarls something like "I'm gonna get you suckah!!" and you then prepare to fight. It is fast, dirty, violent and often unexpected.

But then, she could be the dirtbag. Absolutely no way to tell from reading the article. The politics of the state will determine if she is treated with an assumption of innocence or an assumption of guilt.

I hope she kept her mouth shut and lawyered up....doesn't sound like she did as they said she was cooperating. Nothing good will come from that.
Remember George Zimmerman? He cooperated and managed to say all the right things. The persecution was unable to twist anything he said post-shooting against him. Many here on NES would do a better job of handling the interrogation alone than an unskilled person with a mediocre attorney. Best to have both - your own skill and that of your counsel. Learn the rules of evidence, and get yourself an interrogation handbook (Reid and Inbau is the classic). Also, get "You have the right to remain innocent".

The advantage of an attorney is things an attorney says on your behalf cannot be used against you. Make a technical mistake in describing your timeline (ie, alibi) and it will be used to impeach your credibility. If you attorney explains the timeline and a technical mistake is discovered, they cannot use it against you.

Last edited:
She pulls over and what did she expect? The guy wouldn't get out of his car and come over to her? Seems like she wanted to get into it with the guy. I think she gets charged and takes a deal. No win for either side. NEVER stop in a road rage situation.

The article headline isn't helpful to her. Says she called 911 that's good for her. If you are in stop and go traffic and get bum rushed by a cage driver maybe you could drive away but not always. And you'd probably expect words not violence, especially from a boomerfag in a big truck.

The military doesn't care in the slightest about civilian use of force and spends zero time training for it.
I am guessing billy bad ass did not know it was a chick. Regardless, he should have kept his dumb ass in the truck. No matter what happend up to the point he got out of his truck. It's like morons who walk into Boston traffic in a crosswalk. Yep, you may have the right of way, and they can put it on your headstone.

KOMO news:

Traffic came to a stop first, they argued and he got of his car, she in the HOV lane, he and his wife on the left median/shoulder, she has been released without charges.

Details of what led to the road rage have not been released. The State Patrol said traffic had slowed to a stop. The motorcyclist had stopped in the HOV lane. Jones and his wife in a silver SUV pulled alongside her on the left side median. He got out of the car. She got off her motorcycle.

Witnesses said they heard a lot of shouting. At some point Jones and young woman where on the ground fighting. The State Patrol said she pulled a gun and fired a shot. It proved fatal.

We were told she is the one who called 911. A witness said other drivers who arrived on the scene had to prevent her from walking into traffic, then she sat down, not moving for over an hour with troopers huddled around her. The State Patrol said she was detained, but not arrested. She was released Thursday night.

Motorcycle rider who fired shot in deadly road rage released

Yep, you may have the right of way, and they can put it on your headstone.
A long time ago I took a boating safety course. We were told that "A boat under sail has the right of way over a boat under power." We were ALSO told that trying to EXERCISE that right over say a supertanker while sailing a 12ft Sunfish might not be a very good idea.

Might may or may not make right, but MASS always wins.

Back
Top Bottom