Roadkill

Vin100

NES Member
So I hit a turkey last night with my truck. Seemed in good shape so I hung him off the back of my house. This morning I realized he was too low as something chewed into the lower back. I am assuming it was a raccoon, as a coyote wouldn’t have come that close to the house. I breasted out the bird and they look and smell fine. Still safe to eat? Thanks , Vin

I don't know where you live, but the coyotes in my area are in back yards and close to houses. Add some snacks outside and they'd be having a party. However, unless they were disturbed the whole bird would be gone.
This was in my neighbor's driveway a few feet from their front door last week
IMG_0870.jpg

They made short work on that deer.
I am in Westport. I am assuming a Raccoon then.
I don't know where you live, but the coyotes in my area are in back yards and close to houses. Add some snacks outside and they'd be having a party. However, unless they were disturbed the whole bird would be gone.
This was in my neighbor's driveway a few feet from their front door last week
View attachment 329181

About a decade ago, our local pack took down a deer in my neighbor's backyard. Well, just inside the tree line. There wuddn't much left when they were done. They dined right there. Sounded like a horror movie. LOL

And as far as eatin it - remember the Steve Rinella once grabbed a roadkill raccoon and cooked it (braised it) for friends in NYC. LOL. I'd eat a partially-eaten turkey over a nasty raccoon.

About a decade ago, our local pack took down a deer in my neighbor's backyard. Well, just inside the tree line. There wuddn't much left when they were done. They dined right there. Sounded like a horror movie. LOL

And as far as eatin it - remember the Steve Rinella once grabbed a roadkill raccoon and cooked it (braised it) for friends in NYC. LOL. I'd eat a partially-eaten turkey over a nasty raccoon.
Last summer a pack killed a deer in my yard inside tree line.
move never heard a scream like that before and hope I never do again.

My feeling exactly. The breasts seem fine and were untouched. I’ve shot allot of turkey, so I have a base line. It was the partially eaten tail gave me a bit of pause and I needed to shout it out to you guys for perspective. Thanks!

They will even eat the skull and crack the long bones for the marrow in a bad winter if they can’t find anything else.

Bob

Have a friend who is animal control in my town, he went on a deer strike call. Big doe, broken neck, ran into side of car. He went down his list and no one wanted it. He got rope and as he was dragging it into woods, saw a bunch of eyes, felt bad as he thought it was the yearlings. Turned out to be five coyotes, must have been chasing the doe and wanted it bad. The yotes were not afraid of him at all. As soon as he walked back to truck, he put spotlight on em and they were tearing the doe apart. Yipping and yapping! He’s never seen anything like it.

Have a friend who is animal control in my town, he went on a deer strike call. Big doe, broken neck, ran into side of car. He went down his list and no one wanted it. He got rope and as he was dragging it into woods, saw a bunch of eyes, felt bad as he thought it was the yearlings. Turned out to be five coyotes, must have been chasing the doe and wanted it bad. The yotes were not afraid of him at all. As soon as he walked back to truck, he put spotlight on em and they were tearing the doe apart. Yipping and yapping! He’s never seen anything like it.
Yotes gotta eat too. Lol

Last edited:
Still here and haven’t gone crazy yet.

From Julia Child volume 1:
Skinless Turkey breast sliced into 2x1 inch strips (against grain) - *she uses chicken breast
Let warm to room temp
Salt and pepper heavily
Heat olive oil and table spoon butter
Toss turkey in flour - shake out and add to pan
Brown slightly
Add table spoon chopped garlic and parsley
Deglaze w/ white wine
Garnish with more chopped parsley
Squeeze lemon over broccoli and drizzle some good olive oil over plate

Served with steamed broccoli and white rice.

I saw one get hit on Rte 53 in Hanover a couple years back. It died shortly after off to side of the road. I took it home and breasted it. Figured I’d sauté it like a chicken cutlet. It tasted great, but man was it tough. Ended up throwing it away, couldn’t eat it.

Turkey is pretty tough.......but hit by a car, I'm amazed there is any thing left not beaten to shit.

Most of the road kill deer I've been offered I don't take because they are hit in the back end and are useless. Not going thru the process of butchering
to get little meat. Sometimes I'll just take the backstraps.

Back
Top Bottom