Rock-Mite by Small Wonder Labs

What band do you think I should get? I'm thinking I'd like 20m just because the antenna would be more portable (in the spirit of a rig that fits in your pocket). Is there much cw activity there?

Matt,
did u ever get one of these small QRP CW radios ?

I'm also looking to get into the QRP CW...

right now exploring ways to link the CW into a decoder on the PC....looks like there is a bunch of free software out there for this. I'm thinking I could build a Y cable, and split the audio - one to the headphones, and the other to the MIC input on the PC.

Hmmm, I don't have much interest in voice but these altoids container radios seem pretty cool. Can anyone point me in the right direction on which frequency radio I should buy? What are the popular QRP CW frequencies? I bought Ham Morse for my iPhone and have started trying to learn code.

I've built several QRP rigs, and it can be a lot of fun....especially that first contact. But don't expect to work the world on a half a watt though. :)

I've built several QRP rigs, and it can be a lot of fun....especially that first contact. But don't expect to work the world on a half a watt though. :)
Which one(s) would you recommend to a newb? And what antenna did you use in the field. I'm thinking of an end-fed half wave just because they take less work and less rope to get into the air.

Well, since it's your first one I'd recommend starting small. So, the one you're thinking about is about as small as they get, so go for it. Once you get your feet wet with this one you'll probably want to move on to something a bit more sophisticated... i.e. dual bander, more power out etc. As for field antennas, I've never taken my QRP rigs into the field, so I'm not the one to ask.

Keep us posted...especially as to your first contact! :)

Back
Top Bottom