Rolling .38 / 357

widnerkj

NES Member
Long story short, I managed to score a Ruger GP-100 for a song. And I’ve yet to even source dies. Mostly because I don’t have, or can find pistol primers of any size. So while I’m searching, what’s NES’s go to powder/projo combo. I’ve got 200 pieces of 38 special brass, as that’s all I could find lately.

Long story short, I managed to score a Ruger GP-100 for a song. And I’ve yet to even source dies. Mostly because I don’t have, or can find pistol primers of any size. So while I’m searching, what’s NES’s go to powder/projo combo. I’ve got 200 pieces of 38 special brass, as that’s all I could find lately.
158 gn xtreme RNFP
3.8 gns Titegroup

I get 700 f/s out of a 686.

Titegroup is fairly easy to find at the moment. Xtreme has sales frequently at 10% off their list prices.

At least with 38 special, the 8-10 cent primer isn’t as bad when finished ammo is about 50 cents per round.

Why don't you buy a reloading manual.
Having bought reloading equipment from KJ before I believe he has one. Also I doubt there’s a load manual that shows NES members favorite loads. You would have all kinds of ugly stuff from @broccoli Iglesias

He’s just being a weirdo and starting a thread about a gun topic on a gun forum.
Maybe the mods can close the thread and make sure it doesn’t happen again. 😂

I really like clays powder. My favorite bullet is a 170 RNFP mould that also drops 160 hollow points.

If you’re just messing around and want cheaper lighter plinking the 124-130 ish range lead sized for 38 makes a really pleasant shooter.

@widnerkj send me your address and I’ll send you some 38 and 357 brass to mess with.

I've got plenty of .38 Special brass and a variety of bullets. Come on down (North Stonington); reload here and fire onsite.
You'll need to provide primers, of course. I'm running on empty and will not be paying current prices for awhile yet.

Unlikely that you'll be around this area, so don't worry about coming by...

Attachments

• 38-357-158gr-rnfp-fmj-new-500ct.jpg
    38-357-158gr-rnfp-fmj-new-500ct.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 6
  • LOS 158gr FMJ.jpg
    LOS 158gr FMJ.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P2280023.JPG
    P2280023.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
And now that I actually read the thread

I have a Lee 120-TC that I opened up and removed the lube groove for Hitek coating - drops around 130g and is great in both 9mm and 38/357 (sized appropriately)
The Lee 140g SWC is great lubed or coated in both 38 and 357
As far as powder I'm partial to Auto Comp but anything from 231 to CFE Pistol (by burn rate) just works in 38.

38 and 357 is one of those that everyone has their own pet load for. Like my coworker who uses blue dot for 38, and enforcer for 357. Dad’s been rolling both since 1980, and he likes unique mostly because it’ll do light target loads or magnums.
Because I load a LOT of 125 grain .300 blackout, I’ve got a few 8 pound jugs of H110. So when I want to push the jacketed 357’s hard, I’ve got that covered. Mr. Spangler I knew would have a pet load, and it’s always interesting when he gets excited about casting. He’s kind of a wizard in that sense.

158 gn xtreme RNFP
3.8 gns Titegroup

I get 700 f/s out of a 686.

Titegroup is fairly easy to find at the moment. Xtreme has sales frequently at 10% off their list prices.

At least with 38 special, the 8-10 cent primer isn’t as bad when finished ammo is about 50 cents per round.
IMG_1771.jpg

38 and 357 is one of those that everyone has their own pet load for. Like my coworker who uses blue dot for 38, and enforcer for 357. Dad’s been rolling both since 1980, and he likes unique mostly because it’ll do light target loads or magnums.
Because I load a LOT of 125 grain .300 blackout, I’ve got a few 8 pound jugs of H110. So when I want to push the jacketed 357’s hard, I’ve got that covered. Mr. Spangler I knew would have a pet load, and it’s always interesting when he gets excited about casting. He’s kind of a wizard in that sense.
He's a wizard at casting spells and casting bullets?

There's plenty of small pistol primers around but you'll have to pay 10 or 12 cents a piece for them. Expensive but not as expensive as factory ammo. I like BE-86 and it's in stock. The 38 spl shoots just about any bullet/powder combination well.

Well, I had some time to hit the shops scattered around Tucson the other day. Some of the old shops had some shotshell, but for the most part, primers remain unfindable. One shop however had a small victory for me. But it was $9 for each of these ancient boxes. But they did have 1 pound of unique, and 2 single pound bottles of CFE223. The powder was at least priced at pre crazy levels. So, that's a small win.

LRP.jpgspp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom