• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rossi 22lr, cheap or inexpensive?

If anyone is going to have an opinion on that one, it'd probably be found on RimfireCentral,com.

My dad has the Rossi clone of the Winchester 62. It's a well built rifle, but it is sensitive to which ammo it's willing to feed. That said, it's probably not mechanically broken in because he doesn't shoot much, and he's put no effort into fixing it - just buys ammo he knows it likes.

I think for what they cost they are probably decent at the price point.
For me I think it comes down to the barrel
Either it will shoot or it will not.
I would put a decent scope and rings like. Leopold rimfire

I had a Rossi 16” pump. Pretty sure it was a youth model. Quick to point. Very accurate. One screw you could remove with your fingers in the side plate and in the back pack she went. Miss that little rifle.
Squirrels worst nightmare.
1615151799946.jpeg

If anyone is going to have an opinion on that one, it'd probably be found on RimfireCentral,com.

My dad has the Rossi clone of the Winchester 62. It's a well built rifle, but it is sensitive to which ammo it's willing to feed. That said, it's probably not mechanically broken in because he doesn't shoot much, and he's put no effort into fixing it - just buys ammo he knows it likes.
I hate new forums, learning curve sucks and I trust folks here a LOT more than somewhere new... As far as ammo, I have a bunch, different varieties, I'm sure I'll find something it'll like if I buy it.
Is this rifle going to take permanent residence out in your shop?
Probably. Shop is secure, no storage laws here, probably just lean it in a corner (like I plan to do with a "spare" 12ga) and be done. May put it in a gun sock. I do have a safe out there but the building isn't climate controlled so...

hard to go wrong at that price.... although Rossi is IMHO not a top tier gun, but at that price you get what you pay for

I’ve got the Rossi 92 in .357 and I’d call it an inexpensive rifle. Accurate enough for me and fun to shoot.
I would get another Rossi any time.
That said, you may have more fun scouting out the used gun rack for something with history.

I had a Rossi 16” pump. Pretty sure it was a youth model. Quick to point. Very accurate. One screw you could remove with your fingers in the side plate and in the back pack she went. Miss that little rifle.
Squirrels worst nightmare.
View attachment 458900

I have one of these too, but with a longer barrel^
Mine works great, decent trigger and accuracy, and it's not picky about what ammo it likes.
It can also be slam-fired like the original Winchester.

I’ve got the Rossi 92 in .357 and I’d call it an inexpensive rifle. Accurate enough for me and fun to shoot.
I would get another Rossi any time.
That said, you may have more fun scouting out the used gun rack for something with history.

I had an early Rossi 92 Puma that was a real horror show.
It constantly jammed while cycling, and I got case head blowouts with .357's.
Complete POS.
However, they must have realized how much they sucked and worked out the problems with the later production guns.
I currently have a stainless 16" barrel R92 chambered in .44mag, and it's light years better than the old Puma.

Last edited:
I have a .357 and .44 Puma. They don't feed well with .38 and .44 special, but fine with mags.
I load a moderate load in magnum cases and they feed fine. Not suer if that's a factor for the OP.

I hate new forums, learning curve sucks and I trust folks here a LOT more than somewhere new... As far as ammo, I have a bunch, different varieties, I'm sure I'll find something it'll like if I buy it.

Probably. Shop is secure, no storage laws here, probably just lean it in a corner (like I plan to do with a "spare" 12ga) and be done. May put it in a gun sock. I do have a safe out there but the building isn't climate controlled so...

Go with the Rossi, they're fine for your purpose.
Ya, Lean it behind the door.
But DO NOT put it in a gun sock, just keep it wiped with an oily cloth and swab the bore periodically.

Go with the Rossi, they're fine for your purpose.
Ya, Lean it behind the door.
But DO NOT put it in a gun sock, just keep it wiped with an oily cloth and swab the bore periodically.
Just make sure tou get the gun socks with VCI or keep it in a small cabinet with vci emitters
Oilly rag helps

Squirrel specific gun - i much prefer a bolt action. I use a Marlin model 25 which accepts short, long and LR. I mostly use CCI quiets which wouldn't cycle a semi auto. I do love my 10/22, 597 and 60 but a bolt action handles this task better in my opinion

Thinking about something cheap for squirrels while I'm out in my shop. After the transfer and shipping it'll cost me about $180. Probably throw on a cheap barska/Tasco level 1x4 or so scope on it. Don't want a cheap POS, but don't want to spend $500 on something fancy.

Thoughts on the gun?
It is a 18” .22lr rifle, with an average accuracy. It will shoot, but will not put next round into a same hole from a previous round. I just got back after zeroing cz 457 mtr - it is amazing. Very accurate with aguila .22lr.

Marlin model 60.
I second the recommendation to look for a used Marlin model 60 or 70 if you want a budget .22 semi-auto.

For most purposes, I think a 10/22 is better than a Marlin, but on a tight budget, the Marlin is a decent choice.

The barrels on the Marlins are really quite good, and they are usually more accurate than you might expect from a budget rifle. And the Marlins have been made forever, and have a good number of fans. As a result, there are some aftermarket Marlin parts, lots of original parts in circulation, and a good number of people around who know the rifles inside and out. You won't get any of those things with most other budget rifles.

Rossi anything = Skinflint gun

A clapped out 10/22 thats had 20,000 rds through it is a better buy.
^ This, because...
I already have a 10/22 but wouldn't leave it "out". And I've had a couple of Marlin 60s over the years, nice enough rifles but nothing available and priced right for my purposes.
(Call me a Ruger fanboi, but) even if you convince yourself
that it's only staying in the shop to pop at squirrels,
why would you sacrifice magazine (and parts?) commonality with your 10/22?

You're not simplifying your life by getting yet another different model gun.
Less is more.

Go for it man. Surprised there isn't anything local in a single shot or bolt action used, but its the way of the world I guess.

Since it's just for squirrels - how about a pellet gun?

Thinking about something cheap for squirrels while I'm out in my shop. After the transfer and shipping it'll cost me about $180. Probably throw on a cheap barska/Tasco level 1x4 or so scope on it. Don't want a cheap POS, but don't want to spend $500 on something fancy.

Thoughts on the gun?
Savage puts out a nice bolt-action .22 rifle for $150. They are famous for superb accuracy. We own two in .22LR and one in .223. Can't go wrong with a Savage.

Savage puts out a nice bolt-action .22 rifle for $150. They are famous for superb accuracy. We own two in .22LR and one in .223. Can't go wrong with a Savage.
I threw in a gunbroker link here but then deleted as I see those cheap savage rifles there are now at almost $300, too much.

Thoughts on the gun?
If your going to keep it close for pest control why not see whats in the dark corners of the local gun shops.
$100 can buy some nice old unwanted 22. i would go with a tube fed bolt gun myself?
Just bring a good light and make sure bore is not rusty.
This way you can shoot longs, shorts, LR and and everything inbetween.

Since it's just for squirrels - how about a pellet gun?

taken my share of pests with pellet guns. I bet a bag of donuts that the $125 rosi is more accurate than a $125 pellet gun. UP SIDE pellets are "cheap" and at the moment , in stock.

I'm not a huge fan of Rossi in general, as I've heard that their revolvers and lever actions aren't built to last. However, I had a 16" barrel, take down .22 pump action, like the pic above-except mine was blued, that was awesome, and I'm an idiot to have sold it.

I bought two of the new shorter barrel Rossi gallery pump rifles. One of them had an issue of the bolt locking closed. However, their customer support
was very responsive and they sent me a return shipping postage paid label to send it back. So I'm happy with that. And I was pleased to find that
they cycled 22 short fine, although Rossi says not to do that. Anyway, they seem like they want to make things right if you have a problem
which is a nice thing.

At least it’s not a Taurus. Wait...what?

Nothing wrong with a Taurus my friend, it'll do just fine against a bad guy. 😉 I keep a Taurus TH9 on my hip every minute I'm out of the house. DA/SA, hammer fired, 17 rnd mag plus one in the pipe, manual decocker, a safety if one desires, full ambi controls ( I'm left handed so this gun was a no brainer for me ) eats any kind of ammo including +p+ and so far I've got 900 rnds through it with 0 malfunctions.
I'd trust it orders of magnitude above any ( including Glocks ) striker fired pistol for inside the waistband carry.

Back
Top Bottom