• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rubber bands on grips?

Why do the Gangsters in some movies wrap rubber bands around the grips of their handguns? Someone said it was to keep finger prints off of it. Would that actually work? Or is that another Hollywood blunder?

It's to provide a better grip without adding on too much thickness. If you search around, Hogue made something similar in a slip on profile for 1st gen Glocks where it provided a grippy somewhat sticky rubber surface with finger grooves for an improved grip. Rubber bands essentially do the same thing inexpensively. If you can find the thick ones much like the ones they put on lobster claws, that would work great.

The ones I saw were on a small revolver, wrapped around the grip, not the trigger area...The whole fingerprints thing makes no sense, unless you never touch the trigger [rofl]

it's so you don't ruin the grips when you need to smash some prettyboy.

pistolwhip.gif

I haven't seen this at the movies.
At the gun ranges:
I do see some people whose firearms have grip safeties use rubber bands to hold the grip safety in so it doesn't engage if their grip on the firearm loosens while firing a sequence of shots.
Best regards.

Growing up I distinctly recall a local flatfoot that had tape on his revolver grips but I'm quite sure it was because they were cracked and the tape held them together.

But who knows, maybe he was just being tacticool--way ahead of his time.

The reason that some people put rubber bands on their guns, is to get a better purchase when holding the gun. Some people use skateboard tape for the same reason. This is the reason that many polymer framed pistols are now fairly heavily stippled. Rubber aftermarket grips such as Pachmayr's have provided the same thing. Using rubber bands is simply an inexpensive alternative.

There may or may not be some fingerprint myth attached to the whole thing, but this is the first time I have heard that given as a reason.

There may or may not be some fingerprint myth attached to the whole thing, but this is the first time I have heard that given as a reason.

unless rubber bands are really wide and arranged perfectly flat instead of raggedy twisted mess, it'll be pretty darn hard to lift prints off of it.

The whole fingerprints thing makes no sense, unless you never touch the trigger

as for lifting usable print off the trigger it would be pretty hard too because surface area is so small. Best case scenario you'll get partial that would be nearly impossible to match, moreover most people don't use fingertips to press the trigger.

Although I never seen this type of 'no fingerprint solution' I can't not mention far worst places on the gun that need to be 'protected' from leaving your fingers, i.e. slide and mag. unless one wears gloves there is no way you can avoid those two areas. Another big thing people often forget about casing. Nowadays forensic technology allows for lifting almost entire thumb and pretty good index prints from those.

Last edited:
unless rubber bands are really wide and arranged perfectly flat instead of raggedy twisted mess, it'll be pretty darn hard to lift prints off of it.

as for lifting usable print off the trigger it would be pretty hard too because surface area is so small. Best case scenario you'll get partial that would be nearly impossible to match, moreover most people don't use fingertips to press the trigger.

Although I never seen this type of 'no fingerprint solution' I can't not mention far worst places on the gun that need to be 'protected' from leaving your fingers, i.e. slide and mag. unless one wears gloves there is no way you can avoid those two areas. Another big thing people often forget about casing. Nowadays forensic technology allows for lifting almost entire thumb and pretty good index prints

Although I never seen this type of 'no fingerprint solution' I can't not mention far worst places on the gun that need to be 'protected' from leaving your fingers, i.e. slide and mag. unless one wears gloves there is no way you can avoid those two areas. Another big thing people often forget about casing. Nowadays forensic technology allows for lifting almost entire thumb and pretty good index prints from those.

Since this thread is years old and will not make any difference, I have to state the facts. In my career, started in 1970, there was no “custom holsters” for “off duty” carry. Most OD weapons was a revolver S&W 5 shot, the waist band holsters were more like soft calf hide pouches. You couldn’t run or fight with those. To keep the damn thing from slipping down your pants leg and going off, you put rubber bands on the grips, NOT to prevent finger prints. And a round butt could use a little more grip. NOTE: all mfg grips were wood. Later Pachmayer arrived. Many a accidents happened. By around 1976 John Bianchi was coming out with some leather holsters formed by pressing wet leather around a pistol for a snug fit. The motor jocks loved their 1911, and carried it the same way everyone else did. We failed to carry extra ammo most of the time. And there were not pouches made for extra rounds. NOT till around 1975. In old photos you may see 12 round loops on an officer’s Sam Browne. No speed loaders yet. Although ankle holsters were available and used by officers. Being in that era some officers were wearing round toed boots (at least in Texas) and a .38 fit nicely down the stove pipe. Just old school info on how it was.

I recall hearing about a rubber band being used on 1911's to depress the grip safety to insure that it didn't interfere with a shot.
But then again, I hear a lot of stuff, some of it real.

I wrap a couple big rubber bands around my wallet. Always stays put in my back pocket
this is what my dad did also. I know of a few old timers who pulled Tire tube pieces over the small revolvers grips. Gave a little more grip and they did not slide out of your pocket.
Not so much a gangster thing but more of what was available at the time. Rubber bands where a pretty good try to fix it now item.
My dad always had plenty of electrical tape, rubber bands and elmers wood glue. That was the emergency fixit kit back then.

I do it because then it doubles as a wallet - cash, cards, etc. Always a bit awkward when I pay for gas though...

Back
Top Bottom