• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger American Ranch Rifle 5.56/.223

Daddy Mac

NES Member
Anyone? I just saw this. Entry level bolt action that accepts standard AR mags. I love sharing mags and I don't have to shop for a new caliber. I may be past the point of no return. I even know where they have one in stock. I bet the stock is warped and the action is rough. I should go look at it just to make sure. You know. Just to make sure.

I currently own the ranch in 7.62x39 (Mini 30 mags) and the predator in 223 (Stanag mag). The ranch has a holosun 403B, comes on every range trip and groups far better than any AK. At 300 yards can keep groups within 6 inches all day. just buy it you’ll be happy. Rugers QC is shit my first ranch 7.62x39 was totally dicked up - Ruger ended up replacing the whole rifle. but worth the hassle. The only bolt guns that are about as cool are the HOWA mini actions. Better shooters than the Ruger but use proprietary mag instead of stanag. Having owned a bunch of bolt guns hands down the best value have been the howa. Legacy does a crap job marketing them otherwise they would be 100x more popular.

Last edited:
Anyone? I just saw this. Entry level bolt action that accepts standard AR mags. I love sharing mags and I don't have to shop for a new caliber. I may be past the point of no return. I even know where they have one in stock. I bet the stock is warped and the action is rough. I should go look at it just to make sure. You know. Just to make sure.
My choice was the stainless Savage Axis .223 with AccuTrigger. Short money, sub-moa accurate. Eats both commercial .223 and military 5.56 M193 and M855 with no problems and excellent accuracy. I also have one in .308. Same thing. Extremely accurate and reliable. Another advantage of the Savage rifles is that you can replace the barrels yourself. They are excellent firearms.

I had one of these for a while. Shot a ragged hole all day long. Felt cheap. Flimsy stock, rough action. I sold it only because they coyotes can’t tell the difference between dime sized groups from my AR and the former.

You could expand your nasty mag sharing habbit and pick up a Remington 7615 while your at it.

My coyote gun as well. Bought it way back for like 320 bucks. Shoots great groups, even better after I put an MCarbo spring in it.

Liked it so much I bought a 308 predator and 6.5 predator and they are
Shooters for cheap money

you've seen me talk about a friend who owns a farm in the northwestern part of the state before...he owns the american in .223. the rifle had some feeding issues when it first came out. he picked his up at kittery after it had come back from ruger to repair the problem. i guess the original owner had it 2 days before it went back via ktp and dumped it as soon as it came back. the friend, he got it for really short money stumbling on it not too long after it hit the rack. moral here is buy it. he absolutely loves the rifle. it's main purpose is varmint control but he pounds targets by the ton with it, or use to when ammo was available.

Have the shorter version in .308. Kicks like a damn mule! Probably selling. Just can't get much "enjoyment" out of it at the range, and I don't hunt.

My LGS is closed on Mondays. That's a good thing, a little time to rationalize, to think. I'm thinking 16" or 22" barrel length?

The only bolt guns that are about as cool are the HOWA mini actions. Better shooters than the Ruger but use proprietary mag instead of stanag. Having owned a bunch of bolt guns hands down the best value have been the howa. Legacy does a crap job marketing them otherwise they would be 100x more popular.

I second the Howa, Have a mini in 300 blk, brownells had the actions on sale $249 last winter, another 40 for the factory stock, Nice gun for the money, They make a lot of aftermarket stocks for the mini action also.

Have the shorter version in .308. Kicks like a damn mule! Probably selling. Just can't get much "enjoyment" out of it at the range, and I don't hunt.

Yeah. Not a range gun. Nice lightweight hunting carbine.

You could make it better for the range by putting a heavier Magpul hunter stock and thread on a muzzle break.

My Ruger Creedmore shoots fxcking amazing when I restocked it with the Magpul Hunter. I cant wait to try it real long range. 100 yards is a joke

My LGS is closed on Mondays. That's a good thing, a little time to rationalize, to think. I'm thinking 16" or 22" barrel length?
I got the 16 its easier in the brush and as long as the stock is free floated its an easy 250 yard gun.

It woulnt be my first HD choice but if the state goes gay with semi autos ive practiced and you can put repetitive hits on target pretty fast with it and a 30 round mag

My choice was the stainless Savage Axis .223 with AccuTrigger. Short money, sub-moa accurate. Eats both commercial .223 and military 5.56 M193 and M855 with no problems and excellent accuracy. I also have one in .308. Same thing. Extremely accurate and reliable. Another advantage of the Savage rifles is that you can replace the barrels yourself. They are excellent firearms.

I agree completely. I have a Savage bolt gun in .308 that came from their custom shop and is factory blueprinted. With my reloads it is a .5 MOA gun. (that's an average of several 5 shot groups, not one cherry picked 3 shot group). What's funny is that even with Turkish MKE ammo its a 1.3 moa gun. Except it will occasionally throw one WAAAYYY off. I blame that on the MKE because it doesn't do that with my reloads or with Federal Gold Medal Match.

The only thing I don't like about it is it still FEELS like a $350 savage. The bolt is not particularly smooth. The safety is gritty. But everything that matters is right. (trigger is 1.8 lbs with zero overtravel or creep) So I guess that's the important thing.

I picked up the Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 nato. Takes AR mags, has threaded barrell, nice smooth action, has picatinny rail already, super lightweight, tiny rifle that can stuff in a back pack. Cool FDE color and pretty cheap. Picked it up for coyote. Shoots really well.

I currently own the ranch in 7.62x39 (Mini 30 mags) and the predator in 223 (Stanag mag). The ranch has a holosun 403B, comes on every range trip and groups far better than any AK. At 300 yards can keep groups within 6 inches all day. just buy it you’ll be happy. Rugers QC is shit my first ranch 7.62x39 was totally dicked up - Ruger ended up replacing the whole rifle. but worth the hassle. The only bolt guns that are about as cool are the HOWA mini actions. Better shooters than the Ruger but use proprietary mag instead of stanag. Having owned a bunch of bolt guns hands down the best value have been the howa. Legacy does a crap job marketing them otherwise they would be 100x more popular.

What was Ruger thinking when they designed it to take Mini 30 mags instead of AK mags?

I had one in 300blk that was the first gen with the crap mag situation. Sold it cause of the mag problem, but when suppressed the thing was stupid quiet.

Yeah I think they corrected the issue. I havent had a FTF yet with the thing (5 and 10 round PMAGS)...knock on wood

Although they should work, I could see a 30 rounder being a real pain though if shooting from bench. Likely not even allowed in the field.

Well it's done. The stock was straight, the rear of the receiver was machined smoothly, action was acceptable, Bob's your Uncle. Two is one and one is none. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

cool. i was thinking of getting a bolt action scoped rifle with good accuracy. i have 1 1/2 shit tons of 5.56, thought it only made sense to get another rifle that used it.

I have a ss savage bolt in 300 win mag, and it has proven to be very reliable.

What was Ruger thinking when they designed it to take Mini 30 mags instead of AK mags?

AK mag is different animal. mini 30 mag does not require front lock lug on The ranch rifle. It can insert and remove without rocking into the receiver. It’s also a uniform design rather than hearing everyone whine about how such and such mag doesnt lock up correctly. An AK mag version would be cool but my 10 rd mini 30 mags function perfectly so I’m happy with it.

now why Ruger continues to produce a mini 30 rifle in its current form is beyond me,

Back
Top Bottom