• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RUGER ANNOUNCES NEW MINI-14 TACTICAL MODELS

mikeyp

NES Member
Time to add to the AWB list

Ruger Announces New Mini-14 Tactical Models :: Guns.com

Sturm, Ruger this month unveiled two new Tactical series installments to their rugged .223-caliber Mini-14 line of semi-auto rifles.

Both models run a compact 16.12-inch hammer-forged barrel with a factory-installed flash suppressor and feature integral scope mounts, machined directly on the solid steel receiver. What separates the two new rifles are furniture options, with the first sporting a Strikeforce ATI 6-position stock that is both collapsible and folding while the second Mini has a more traditional brown hardwood stock that is speckled black.

Overall length on the Strikeforce ATI model, which has a 6-position collapsible/folding stock, is 34.5- to 38-inches while weight is 7.5-pounds.

The speckled wooden stock model Mini-14 Tactical is 37-inches long overall and weighs 7.2-pounds. You can almost hear the A-Team in the distance…

Each also has a blade front with an adjustable ghost ring rear sight. Like other Ruger Ranch Rifles and Mini-14 pattern carbines, they have the company’s typical Garand-style action with a breech bolt locking system and fixed-piston gas system.

Both rifles have barrels with a 6-groove 1-in-9 RH thread pattern and 1/2X28TPI thread pitch on the muzzle device. Shipping with two 20-round magazines, a Picatinny rail, and scope rings, MSRP is $1,069 regardless of the model.

I wonder if this appeals to anyone in a free state. An AR is almost certainly going to be cheaper than this and better suited for the same role.

I think the mini-14's are a cool platform, being a cheaper, smaller version of an interesting design. To be honest, if the iron sights were more like the real M-14's, or at the very least finger adjustable, I'd buy one in a heart-beat. But that would probably drive the price even higher.

The tactical version is definitely the best version of the Mini14 (16" + birdcage flash). However, both models are pretty damn fugly.

Anything over $800, forget it. Charging $1000 is absolutely ridiculous.

Anybody remember Service Merchandise in the Holyoke Mall? They had a small showroom upstairs with few things on display but most everything you picked out of a catalog. Then you went downstairs to the pick up area and picked up your goods.

They sold guns, not a huge selection but they had Ruger 10/22’s and mini 14’s. In the early 80’s I bought my mini 14 there for $219 and that was a smoking deal even back then. Those were the days……

Anybody remember Service Merchandise in the Holyoke Mall? They had a small showroom upstairs with few things on display but most everything you picked out of a catalog. Then you went downstairs to the pick up area and picked up your goods.

They sold guns, not a huge selection but they had Ruger 10/22’s and mini 14’s. In the early 80’s I bought my mini 14 there for $219 and that was a smoking deal even back then. Those were the days……

Holy s**t....that names brings back memories! How did I forget about that? I used to love picking through every page of their catalog as a kid. That was like the precursor to web surf shopping. Fell back on Lechmere catalog when SM folded. What a blast from the past name recall.

I wonder if this appeals to anyone in a free state. An AR is almost certainly going to be cheaper than this and better suited for the same role.

Kinda has to since I can count at least 4 features on the plastic one that would make it a no-go according to the AWB definitions. The wooden one I think is fine though.

Remember too that nothing really sells for MSRP, more like 70% of MSRP which would make them in the $750-775 retail range I'd guess.

I still remember my mother bought me my first BB gun at Service Merchandise in Brockton. That was just about 30 years ago, time flies. Good ole Lechmere in Weymouth too.

Good times

The Mini-14 lost its raison d'etre once ARs became $350 guns (actually, probably before that).
I'm kind of surprised they're even still making them.

So how is this news? It's a slight difference, but they've had this rifle for quite some time. Really nothing has changed with at least one of these models except the stock a tad. Hell I've seen the Gun Parlor post them on here over the years.
img_3162.jpg

This is weird one. The Strikeforce tactical furniture has been available for the Mini-14 for quite some time. Sure, it might be convenient to buy it pre-assembled, but then you lose the traditional stock as a fall back. And if that's the case, shouldn't this pre-assembled Mini-14 "tactical" actually be cheaper than buying a Mini-14 and a separate purchase of the Strikeforce furniture (which it currently isn't) because you are only getting the one tactical stock? I think Mini-14's are around $899.99. The Strikeforce stock is around $135. So $1,034.99 for the kit including both stocks.

Mini 14 needs Stanag magazines,
the mini 30 don't use ak mags either
Ruger wants you to shell out top$ for their proprietary magazines. Or buy some tapco pos.

Ar15 has evolved from direct impingement to piston driven which one may say was an advantage for the mini14 beforehand

Butler creek underfolder is way cooler that the plastic version of an ebr they have attempted to dress this piece up with.

Remember when ruger made the mini14 version in 44mag? The deerfield i think? Late 80s early 90s. Cool gun, never took off.

Outside the fact that the mini is like a 3 MOA rifle on a good day (maybe worse after it gets hot), the lack of mag compatibility sucks and it's the core reason why I won't own one of the
damned things.

-Mike

Remember when ruger made the mini14 version in 44mag? The deerfield i think? Late 80s early 90s. Cool gun, never took off.

Actually it was a closer resemblance to the 10/22 with the rotary mag but yeah I’d be all over that too if it was in current production.

I still remember my mother bought me my first BB gun at Service Merchandise in Brockton. That was just about 30 years ago, time flies. Good ole Lechmere in Weymouth too.

Good times
30 years is about what she'd get today for child endangerment. Boy, things have changed.

Actually it was a closer resemblance to the 10/22 with the rotary mag but yeah I’d be all over that too if it was in current production.

the ruger deerstalker has 10/22 action

The ruger 99/44 deerfield with rotary mag has garand style breach locking bolt.

Yup i hear you on a 44mag pcc.
I had a timberwolf pump gun at one point in 357 and one in 44. Fun to shoot.

I had an early Mini-14 in the late '80s (180 series?), and it was awful. Worse than awful. Trigger was gritty, it would string horribly after just a few shots, it didn't take USGI mags, Ruger wasn't selling anything other than 5- and 10-round mags (except to bonafide LE), it was damn-near impossible for me to get a cheek weld, and did I mention it didn't take USGI mags? Worst part was I sold off a beauty of an M1 Carbine to "upgrade" to the Mini. I still have a bad Pavlovian reaction every time I see one.

Outside the fact that the mini is like a 3 MOA rifle on a good day (maybe worse after it gets hot), the lack of mag compatibility sucks and it's the core reason why I won't own one of the
damned things.

-Mike

I hear the current generation with a thicker barrel is more precise.

Also, the very fact of mag incompatibility is why I’m considering one in 300BLK to SBR for the fun of it. Then I have less to worry about with someone accidentally feeding 300BLK in my 5.56 AR chambers.

All that said, I hate that you can’t change barrels easily, and that “Strikeforce” model is sooo ugly. It looks like a 13 year old kid got hold of a CheaperThanDirt catalog.

While I would like to have a mini 14 to shoot the hell out for no other reason than the day ends in y. But not at that price and its the same system with no improvement over any other mini. That's trying way to hard to be tactical. I wish they would come out with something like a 1 in 8 twist and maybe somewhat more accurate model.

the worst thing for me is someone in marketing/RD got PAID for this idea?

I really dont care what they do to the mini14 had a few off and on through my early gun buying years. Get them under $500 and take AR mags. I MIGHT consider one.

Add a m1a1 dovetail style front sight base to allow for different options, an adjustable gas system with barrel strut to eliminate barrel whip and overgasing the action, rubber buffers on the ends of the operation rod to reduce slamming vibration, Amega/Ultimak style handguard rail for a lower 1/3rd co-witnessing scope mounting option with ample eye relief, adjustable rear Tech-Sights, a stripper clip guide to save money on spare magazines, extended magazine release, and the m1 carbine/Mousquiton AMD style stock with side sling mounts Ruger made for the French... then maybe it would be worth buying.

Or for the love of God get Magpul to design magazines and stocks for the mini, because the current aftermarket options are stuck in the 1980s. Even the Archangel stocks suck.

the hogue mini 14 stock is quite nice

those of you wanting an AR pattern mag, it cannot be done. there is a very short magwell. mag locks up front and rear just like an M14 or AK. AR mag requires a relatively tall mag well to keep mag in position which mini 14 cannot achieve.

Back
Top Bottom