• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LC Carbine in 5.7 x 28

69 cents and dropping at TS. Not sure why the price is always brought up. Lots of people shoot 357, 44 mag, 308, 30-06, 30-30, 30 carbine etc.... None of it is cheap. So its not a high powered round, what does it matter when its all fun and most of us are just shooting at steel and paper anyway? Never uderstood the weird flex people have shitting on the 57.
Because skinflint.

Flex on the poors.

Buy the silly rounds if they make you happy.

I just want one in 45acp that takes 1911 mags I'm not worried about what le uses lol
this. exactly.
if they made it in 10, I'd be forced to buy two guns...

I hear you. Nothing like commonality. Not sure how much additional velocity would be gained with .45 ACP in a carbine barrel.
BBI says you're looking at about 100-200 fps, depending on cartridge, barrel lengths, etc.

69 cents and dropping at TS. Not sure why the price is always brought up. Lots of people shoot 357, 44 mag, 308, 30-06, 30-30, 30 carbine etc.... None of it is cheap. So its not a high powered round, what does it matter when its all fun and most of us are just shooting at steel and paper anyway? Never uderstood the weird flex people have shitting on the 57.

Can't speak for everyone, but one of my gripes is that civilians can't (or at least can't easily) get the AP rounds this platform was designed around. So for $0.69 per, you're getting high quality, but still "sporting" ammo, not the same stuff militaries use. And that sporting ammo tends to highlight shortcomings of the platform with regards to hollow point expansion and at times, subpar ballistics (depending on round).

Can't speak for everyone, but one of my gripes is that civilians can't (or at least can't easily) get the AP rounds this platform was designed around. So for $0.69 per, you're getting high quality, but still "sporting" ammo, not the same stuff militaries use. And that sporting ammo tends to highlight shortcomings of the platform with regards to hollow point expansion and at times, subpar ballistics (depending on round).
$2.00 a round for the AP is steep but you could just use the AP for self defense and practice with the blue tip sporting round.

I think this thing is neat, but an other example of how these companies keep pounding around the rim getting close to making something awesome, but still not getting it in the hole.

I'm not getting the point of this one. Is it they looked at 5.56 and decided it recoiled too much for the average toddler?

If they chambered a 10-22 in 5.7 I might be interested. Ie a mini mini-14. A non rimfire .22ish magnumthing.

To me though this thing is just a wierd gun, better left to keltec.

I do think some day I'd like a 5.7 pistol. It is a cool round.

Last edited:
I'm not getting the point of this one. Is it they looked at 5.56 and decided it recoiled too much for the average toddler?
With the case volume of .223 most of that extra powder is just a wasteful fireball out of shorter barrels

5.7 is optimized for compact/suppressed PDWs.

It is an other sku that utilizes the magazine of their 57 pistol, so every nerd that bought that pistol will look at this and say ooohhh magazine compatibility. Smart play on Ruger's part.

Plus this thing is getting close to a civilian available MP7 type of PDW, which is neat as it is.

If they chambered a 10-22 in 5.7 I might be interested. Ie a mini mini-14. A non rimfire .22ish magnumthing.

To me though this thing is just a wierd gun, better left to keltec.

I do think some day I'd like a 5.7 pistol. It is a cool round.

The round was originally meant for PDW 9mm replacement with further lethal range and armor piercing. Most likely a Secret Service style discrete defense weapon in mind. People want to compare it to 5.56, particularly after shorty AR's became popular, but that's really an unfair comparison of the rounds purpose.

The idea of a single caliber gun/rifle combo with interchangeable mags is interesting and valuable. It's not a new idea but I think this is the first attempt using a 5.7.
My problem with 5.7 is that it's difficult to reload since there is virtually no information on powder or charge amount available. There is no new brass to buy either.
Even if they solved the reloading situation for 5.7, I still have a problem with the pistol is that it has no provision for mounting a red dot.
Other that those two issues, I would love to explore the Ruger 5.7 pistol/rifle world!

The idea of a single caliber gun/rifle combo with interchangeable mags is interesting and valuable. It's not a new idea but I think this is the first attempt using a 5.7.
My problem with 5.7 is that it's difficult to reload since there is virtually no information on powder or charge amount available. There is no new brass to buy either.
Even if they solved the reloading situation for 5.7, I still have a problem with the pistol is that it has no provision for mounting a red dot.
Other that those two issues, I would love to explore the Ruger 5.7 pistol/rifle world!

FN's 5.7 MK3 has a red dot cut.

photo in the ad shows 50 cart. But scroll down and the ad says 20 rounds
So I asked the seller. Its 20 rounds for 200.00 yikes!
Lol $10 a round is insane. My local shop was selling 50 for $200 a while back. I bought one box for fun, they are a noticeably hotter round than the blue tips or the AE ammo.

I hear you about the reloading issue. Palmetto State Armory has a 57 called the Rock 57 with available MOS and threaded barrel. (I have one)
The mags will also fit the Ruger 57

The round was originally meant for PDW 9mm replacement with further lethal range and armor piercing. Most likely a Secret Service style discrete defense weapon in mind. People want to compare it to 5.56, particularly after shorty AR's became popular, but that's really an unfair comparison of the rounds purpose.

It's a fair comparison once you put 5.7 in a rifle. That's the point of the comparison.

The round was originally meant for PDW...People want to compare it to 5.56, particularly after shorty AR's became popular, but that's really an unfair comparison of the rounds purpose.
It's a fair comparison once you put 5.7 in a rifle. That's the point of the comparison.
As seen upthread, the impetus for buying a "rifle" length 5.7 gun is to cut it down to < 11"

CMMG did it back in 2018 with the MK57 Banshee, taking Five-seveN mags

Last edited:
With the case volume of .223 most of that extra powder is just a wasteful fireball out of shorter barrels

5.7 is optimized for compact/suppressed PDWs.

That makes sense except this isn't compact.

So basically what I'm reading is if someone wanted to surpress it, or modify it with a shorter barrel, it'd make sense, but as is - no :)

While it is a bottle-necked cartridge, the comparison to 223REM is superficial at best. It makes more sense to compare it to 22WMR: similar energy in a rifle, better in a pistol, with similar projectiles available. Useful for small game, and potentially viable for defensive work in limited situations. It has the benefits of centerfire with the detriment it's unrealistic to reload.

That makes sense except this isn't compact.

So basically what I'm reading is if someone wanted to surpress it, or modify it with a shorter barrel, it'd make sense, but as is - no :)
I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a "pistol" version soon - assuming they see even a tiny bit of success here. There's always going to be a limit to the benefits of suppression since it's designed to be a screaming fast projectile, but the options is still there. In fact, I bet the SKU with the 10" barrel and brace is just waiting on the ATF shenanigans to cool down a little bit.

Still don't think it's apples to apples. While there is close proximity to bullet weight, the 5.7 was designed around a 10" barrel, implying fast burning pistol style gunpowder in a much smaller case holding far less gun powder. Smaller physically sized round for SMG style guns meant for high burst or full auto firing rates with maximum control. It also doesn't lose as much when you more than halve the barrel length to a pistol size as compared to 5.56.

Bullet grain aside, I think the only real comparison is that they are both necked cartridges.

While it is a bottle-necked cartridge, the comparison to 223REM is superficial at best. It makes more sense to compare it to 22WMR: similar energy in a rifle, better in a pistol, with similar projectiles available. Useful for small game, and potentially viable for defensive work in limited situations. It has the benefits of centerfire with the detriment it's unrealistic to reload.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a "pistol" version soon - assuming they see even a tiny bit of success here. There's always going to be a limit to the benefits of suppression since it's designed to be a screaming fast projectile, but the options is still there. In fact, I bet the SKU with the 10" barrel and brace is just waiting on the ATF shenanigans to cool down a little bit.

I was trying to come up with it's use and that's what I was thinking, a reliable small ground game hunter - haha not the tree dwelling sort as it seems crazy to shoot a 2500 fps round into the air. Or a target gun. Basically a better 22wmr.

Defensive use - I suppose.

Neat round, not gonna own this carbine though.

OK, so we are looking at SMG velocity with a pistol round. That BBI site is interesting. Thanks for sharing it with me.
this. exactly.
if they made it in 10, I'd be forced to buy two guns...

BBI says you're looking at about 100-200 fps, depending on cartridge, barrel lengths, etc.

OK, so we are looking at SMG velocity with a pistol round. That BBI site is interesting. Thanks for sharing it with me.
kind of definitionally ;)

Happy to help. I wish they were still pursuing the project. It would be great to see them continue to expand the database.

I like it. Interesting what they did with the barrel / bolt to keep it short… at 28” shorter than many pistol / SBR AR builds. And I can run my rimfire can on it!

a reliable small ground game hunter - haha not the tree dwelling sort as it seems crazy to shoot a 2500 fps round into the air.
That's up to the shooter. Plenty of folks use 22LR to take squirrels and grouse from trees. Just have to be sure you have a reasonable backstop. I'm sure if you maintain that discipline you would have nothing to worry about. E.G.
1661885924751.png
Or a target gun. Basically a better 22wmr.
Right
Neat round, not gonna own this carbine though.
Same.

For .45, the important part is that you're hitting for over 800's foot pounds muzzle energy with the hottest stuff on the BBTI chart out of a 16" barrel. For comparison's sake, 9mm is around 600 foot pounds out of a 16" barrel with the BBTI chart hottest loads. (those are hot loads!)

10mm is even better, going from 650 to 1000 foot pounds between 4" and 16" barrels with the hottest loads on that BBTI chart.

The 5.7 wasnt designed for rifles though.

Think of things like the P90 and it's 10 inch barrel. It has niche uses in the military such as crewman weapons in tanks, helicopters, armored trucks, shit like that. things where space is at a premium.

the entire idea is to get out of your on fire tank with something that will give you a reasonable chance of getting you to another tank, etc. A P90 is going to be a huge upgrade from a M9. Keep in mind when this shit was thought up the M4 was still in its infancy.

With the future (ok, i guess now?) bad guys wearing armor, things like the M9 or whatever the f*** the Sig replacement is called are looking real long in the tooth, not like they are going to do much against body armor or helmets besides attract a lot of angry attention. The P90 at least gives the ability to put those chumps away.

I cant see it rolling out though. Been 30 years still really hasn't. And with the Army somehow actually liking the XM5... well... who the f*** knows what people are thinking (sad to see a committee rifle, all sorts of dumb shit on it). XM250 I can sorta understand... The Sig Sauer 338 Norma Magnum, yes please!

Back
Top Bottom