Ruger Mk II Question

I have a MK II Slabside Competition ss that I have had for 16 years. Unfortunately, I managed to mess up the rear sight by adjusting the blade past the end of the travel adjustment. The adjustment screw is now locked.

No, there wasn't a crosswind that day.[rofl] I just messed it up.

We just got my 13 year old son a new Ruger MK III Hunter long barel, fluted ss and the fiber optic front sight is much better than the old fat blade. Should I just go ahead and replace both front & rear with the updated model? Any recomends on a gunsmith in SE Mass?

Thanks
Curtis

I have a MK II Slabside Competition ss that I have had for 16 years. Unfortunately, I managed to mess up the rear sight by adjusting the blade past the end of the travel adjustment. The adjustment screw is now locked.

No, there wasn't a crosswind that day.[rofl] I just messed it up.

We just got my 13 year old son a new Ruger MK III Hunter long barel, fluted ss and the fiber optic front sight is much better than the old fat blade. Should I just go ahead and replace both front & rear with the updated model? Any recomends on a gunsmith in SE Mass?

Thanks
Curtis

Greg Derr is your man on the south shore (http://www.derrprecision.com/) He does a mean trigger job too.

If you prefer the fiber hunter style sight, go for it.

Not to hijack this thread but since you have been able to test both the standard and fiver optic sights on the MK's which do you prefer? I'm looking into a MK3, either the comp or the hunter with longer barrel. I'm going to be using it for targets only and I think I'd like the fiber optic sight better but not sure, also I like the hunter fluted barrel look better than slab side but since there the same price I'll consider either look but just want the better sights. I figure the sights are interchangeable anyway but I'm not sure.

I love fiber optic sights and have put FO front sights on my Ruger Competition and several 1911's. The older you get, the more you will appreciate them.

David Santurri, 580 Kelley Blvd, North Attleboro, MA
His hours are 8 to 2 and Saturday mornings. 401-726-1310

He's in the alley behind the laundermat.

He's replaced a lot of sights for me on different pistols. I usally just pick the color I want and leave the height and manufactor of the sight up to him.

I started with red sights and then went to green sights. Now I'm thinking the next set might be orange, it seems the brighter the color the better.

Last edited:
Not to hijack this thread but since you have been able to test both the standard and fiver optic sights on the MK's which do you prefer? I'm looking into a MK3, either the comp or the hunter with longer barrel. I'm going to be using it for targets only and I think I'd like the fiber optic sight better but not sure, also I like the hunter fluted barrel look better than slab side but since there the same price I'll consider either look but just want the better sights. I figure the sights are interchangeable anyway but I'm not sure.

read his post - "and the fiber optic front sight is much better than the old fat blade."

This gun was sent to me by Bill Ruger along with an official letter stating that the frame / serial number gun that I returned to him had been destroyed. The original gun was ordered at a gun show in Florida years ago. It was a POS. This one (the replacement) is one of the nicest guns I've ever shot. All screw heads on the top of the receiver line up perfectly and the quality doesn't stop there.

The 16 year old Slabside has seen maybe 20,000 rounds and looks like new. This gun IS the perverbial "Tack Driver". The new Hunter is a great gun. The optic sights are awesome. The 45 style mag release is also an improvement on the MKIII. The key thing on the safety seems mickey mouse. The MKII came with walnut grips that have a somewhat course, but fine & sharp, checkering and a thumb rest. The old style grips are Nice. My son is a lefty, so he didn't really appreciate the old ones.

Marshfield is pretty close. Have allot of guys had good results with Greg Derr?

Last edited:
David Santurri, 580 Kelley Blvd, North Attleboro, MA
His hours are 8 to 2 and Saturday mornings. 401-726-1310

He's in the alley behind the laundermat.

True, but hardly necessary for a Ruger Mk. anything. The front sight mount is attached by a simple screw. UNscrew the blade; screw the FO on.

If you want to complicate matters, you could take an additional 30 seconds or so to put a touch of Loc-Tite or even nail polish on the thread first.

Back
Top Bottom