Ruger Precision .22lr

steven grammont

NES Member
Was wondering how many of you out there own one of these rifles , and what your opinions are of them. Was looking to buy a .22 rifle and was thinking about one of these , even though I prefer a rifle with a nice wooden stock.

I have one, got it last year. Put a red dot on it and its a tack driver for a 22. Does not seem fussy about ammo as i have tried the cheap bucket of bullets to my target stuff, and the accuracy is better with the target ammo. Real nice rifle. I didnt think i would like it when i got it, but its great fun, and can make a ragged hole at 100yds.

I have one, got it last year. Put a red dot on it and its a tack driver for a 22. Does not seem fussy about ammo as i have tried the cheap bucket of bullets to my target stuff, and the accuracy is better with the target ammo. Real nice rifle. I didnt think i would like it when i got it, but its great fun, and can make a ragged hole at 100yds.
How do you guys shoot small groups with red dots, they cover so much of the target at 100 yards? For steel plate i can get hits but trying to shoot tiny groups, not so much.

i am quite happy - i snatched 1.5k of that aquila SE at $5.65 per box at MFS. they now limit it to 2 boxes pp.

IF you want a gun that is called precision, buy Ruger.
IF you want a gun that actually shoots with precision, buy Voodoov
vudoo, for those googling and not finding that ^^

Good thing is $20/50 box of precision match ammo is easy to get and about the same price pre Bi cov Den.

Last edited:
I don't have one personally, but from all the reviews I've seen it seems like Ruger cheaped out a little too much when going from the Ruger Precision Rifle to the Rimfire version.

I don't have one personally, but from all the reviews I've seen it seems like Ruger cheaped out a little too much when going from the Ruger Precision Rifle to the Rimfire version.
i saw the same, and i think going with the CZ 457 was a good decision. should have it in my hands tomorrow.

Thanks Steve!

Great gun imo. I bought last august and can targets out to 300 yards with it. I like you can adjust the pull on the bolt and the trigger in the field. The stock can be a little difficult to adjust.

I bought one a few years back and put it up against my first gen ruger model 77-22 and basically results were the same I wouldn't call it a match gun by any means. The old mossberg training rifles of the 40s and 50s would walk all over it.

I'm not saying the barrel/action are terrible and it's not possible to hit 300yds with the RP Rimfire.

The comments I read are that that feel of the stock/chassis aren't as nice as the centerfire versions.
If you want an affordable chassis, then the Ruger seems like an economical option, but if you've fired the centerfire version, then just be prepared for a difference.

For me, I went with the CZ and the Tikka. Yes, I have more money in to them for the chassis setups than the Ruger, but I'm ok with that.

Anyway you look at it, plan on good money for optics.

How much off set do you have on your rail:mount/rings?
What are you zeroing your scope at?
How big are your targets at 300?
i have a 3x9 and unless I use low magnification I dont have enough adjustment or even hold over with the BDC ret. I get pretty close but could use another 5-10 moa

Last edited:
Your eyes are better than mine if you can spot those holes at 300 yards with a 3x9 scope. But I'm old and know I have bad eyes
i was told by somebody in some other thread that they shoot up to 600yds with a 1-6x scope, and i just go, well, sure you do...
:)
a turkish walnut on the varmint is pretty good, i like it. just got it.

Back
Top Bottom