Ruger SR556 bolt issue

SR556

Banned
I have a brand new never fired Ruger SR556 and the bolt seems to be having issues closing all the way with a round chambered. If I pull the charging handle all the way to the rear and release it, it will fully chamber a round no problem. If I am not all the way to the rear with the CH or I ease the bolt forward, the bolt will not close all the way and the forward assist will not move the bolt so much as a millimeter.

This is my first AR so I am far from a pro, but this doesn't seem right to me. When I took the bolt out and pushed on the ejector, it seemed really tight. I'm thinking the ejector is too tight and will not compress all the way unless the full weight of the bolt slams into the round as it chambers. The extractor isn't wrapping around the casing.

So I guess the question is; WTF is up with this rifle?

First, the rifle. Sexy as all hell.

DSC00878.jpg

Bolt closed, no round chambered
DSC00880.jpg

Bolt closed, round chambered. Bolt not closed all the way.
DSC00883.jpg

Pull the CH back, and this is what I see. Round in the chamber, did not eject.
DSC00887.jpg

Picture of the bolt face.
DSC00893.jpg

Last edited:
If you ride the charging handle, it usually won't chamber fully.

Lube it up and shoot it. Your rifle should be fine.

lube it and run it as said here. they like to be wet, what seems to be happening is that the extractor may be what is stopping it as its not going into full battery and it doesnt extract when you pull the CH back. toss a little lube on the extractor face as well...

Dom

As above, always let the Bolt carrier snap forward, mimicking an actual shot being fired. Riding it forward will stop most ARs from fully chambering.

Make sure the ejector moves smoothly and does not bind up. Any crud from manufacturing can gum it up and make it compressing fully difficult. If it is only happening on riding the charging handle, that is your main problem though.

I think your rifle is complete junk. I think you should give it to me. Oh, and you're supposed to smack the forward assist with the palm of your hand, not pussy foot it. Since you've got a piston gun you don't need to lube the shit out of the BCG. Thats more for the DI rifles.

- - - Updated - - -

Defective bcg. Ill buy it off you

you gots a piston gun?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom