• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rust prevention...

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
The rear sight (Warren Tactical) on my G17 does not have the corrosion resistance that the slide does.

It has been rusting badly this time of year.

I occasionally scrub it with CLP and an All-Purpose Brush, but the oil can stain clothing and doesn't really last that long.

Any ideas on a surface coating that can help with this?

Uhh... Frog Lube and blow dry to let it "set" lol.

In all seriousness, I had a little bit of rust on my Mepros on one of my HKs. Didn't even need WD-40, some Ballistol and a stiff toothbrush removed it, wipe, and apply either a light coat of CorrosionX or that TW25b white creamy stuff from the tube. Haven't had a problem since.

I use a little Collinite 845 on my p365 during the summer when sweat is an issue. Keeps my mag bodies and sights and stuff from rusting.

Is this a problem happening from use/carry, or during storage?

Lots of things help prevent corrosion but dry storage prevents it best if that's where it's actually happening. A carry gun that never sits in a safe, that's different.

With a carry gun I think a nightly light wipedown/clean with a slightly oiled cloth is about as much as you can do, cosmetics are never going to stay perfect on something like that and it's not worth the frustration - is a tool, maintain the function, a little surface rust here or there is just that.

Is this a problem happening from use/carry, or during storage?

Lots of things help prevent corrosion but dry storage prevents it best if that's where it's actually happening. A carry gun that never sits in a safe, that's different.

With a carry gun I think a nightly light wipedown/clean with a slightly oiled cloth is about as much as you can do, cosmetics are never going to stay perfect on something like that and it's not worth the frustration - is a tool, maintain the function, a little surface rust here or there is just that.
Carry gun.

Not sure if other sight manufacturers use better rust prevention that Warren does?

I've never had CLP stain unless I dumped like a quart on me-and this has happened more than once.

For storage, I've had good luck with Break Free CO. I haven't tried it on anything that gets handled like sights.

I did just use it on the 365 mag in my carry gun. It was doing the standard Sig mag thing by rusting after I sweat all over it. I'll be interested to see how it holds up.

This stuff is just amazing for rust prevention. Use it for storage of my antique true black powder rifle barrels. (keep in mind you clean BP with water) . Zero corrosion issues with Eezox . Nothing else seems to work 100% in my experiences.

Ended up scrubbing all the rust off, degreasing, and painting the sights with DuraCoat Black in a spray can and letting it cure for two weeks.

(I didn't know it when I ordered the black, but DuraCoat also offers parkerization in a spray can, so I probably would have gone with that.)

We will see how this works out in the long run?

DuraCoat Glock slide 2.jpg

DuraCoat Glock slide 3.jpg

The rear sight (Warren Tactical) on my G17 does not have the corrosion resistance that the slide does.

It has been rusting badly this time of year.

I occasionally scrub it with CLP and an All-Purpose Brush, but the oil can stain clothing and doesn't really last that long.

Any ideas on a surface coating that can help with this?
Wax.

Although not sure if it will do anything once it is already rusted.

Renaissance wax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom