• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rusted bore on tc omega

whacko

NES Member
Getting stuff ready for muzzle loader season in nh. I have two tc impacts all zeroed and ready for me and my son. May loan my spare tc omega to someone that's going into his second deer season and has limited funds. Took the rifle out to get it prepped for the range this weekend to check zero and found a ghastly sight. Bore has 6 spots of deep rust. I have not fired the rifle in 3 years......embarrassed to Say it got put away uncleaned and I can't for the life of me remember how that happened. I've put muzzle loaders aside for 24 hours before cleaning ffs I forgot this one obviously. I'm friggin pissed at myself.

Pix attached of patches during cleaning and the best I could get of a bore photo. 6 small spots of deep rust rest is pretty shiny still.

What do you all think are my chances she will still shoot straight? 20211013_112005~2.jpg 20211013_111358.jpg

That's encouraging.

I'm f***ing pissed at myself. Never done something that stupid before....can't for the life of me remember the last time I even fired it just that it's been at least 3 years.

I'm sure it'll gather some plastic at the rust spots from the sabot.....but as long as it's accurate to 75 yards I'm sure I can just clean out the plastic between use. Fml I can't believe I did that. Ruined the resale "value" I guess.....but I don't sell guns ever so I guess it doesn't matter.

That's encouraging.

I'm f***ing pissed at myself. Never done something that stupid before....can't for the life of me remember the last time I even fired it just that it's been at least 3 years.

I'm sure it'll gather some plastic at the rust spots from the sabot.....but as long as it's accurate to 75 yards I'm sure I can just clean out the plastic between use. Fml I can't believe I did that. Ruined the resale "value" I guess.....but I don't sell guns ever so I guess it doesn't matter.
Did you use Black Powder?

Go try it out, I am sure it will shoot fine.

Getting stuff ready for muzzle loader season in nh. I have two tc impacts all zeroed and ready for me and my son. May loan my spare tc omega to someone that's going into his second deer season and has limited funds. Took the rifle out to get it prepped for the range this weekend to check zero and found a ghastly sight. Bore has 6 spots of deep rust. I have not fired the rifle in 3 years......embarrassed to Say it got put away uncleaned and I can't for the life of me remember how that happened. I've put muzzle loaders aside for 24 hours before cleaning ffs I forgot this one obviously. I'm friggin pissed at myself.

Pix attached of patches during cleaning and the best I could get of a bore photo. 6 small spots of deep rust rest is pretty shiny still.

What do you all think are my chances she will still shoot straight?View attachment 531908View attachment 531909
Thats nothing , clean it and shoot it

if it'll help you feel better to inspect more thoroughly while you clean it, I have a USB borescope you're welcome to borrow.
Thanks for the offer. If it were real bad and I was concerned with safety I'd take you up on the offer.....I wasn't worried about safety just accuracy.

From what I'm hearing from the nes crew it is probably going to shoot fine.

I have 2 rifles with bores that look MUCH worse than that and they both shoot well. If the rust spots make loading too difficult, lap the bore.

I have 2 rifles with bores that look MUCH worse than that and they both shoot well. If the rust spots make loading too difficult, lap the bore.
I'll have it at the range Sat afternoon and test it out. Even if loading a projo is tough I should be ok I use a thick brass muzzle loading range rod to load up.

From what all you guys are saying I should be ok. I'll know when I put holes in paper Saturday.

Don't sweat it. If you failed to clean it the whole bore would likely look bad. Looks like you might have been a little less than diligent in cleaning before you put it away.

Ill clean my BP, prep it for storage, and STILL give it another once over in a day or so.

Only way to know is by shooting it, and it'll likely be fine. Take a few different projectiles with you in the event it is affected and you might find it'll shoot a PRB better than a conical or a sabot or whatever.

A few non-saboted bullets fired will scour that out. I cast my own lead Lyman Minie Ball 50cal and they keep my Omega bore well scrubbed.

I just cleaned a rusty bore for a buddy who neglected his muzzle loader. I chucked a bore rod with a bronze bore brush into my cordless drill. I poured a good amount of WD40 into the bbl and went at it with the drill. It came out almost perfect.
You can see some staining where the rust was and some very tiny pits, but otherwise almost perfect looking.
We shot some round balls and a bunch of conical bullets and finished up with a few sabots.
It shoots just as well as it ever did.

I had one that was so bad that I thought all it was good for was a tomato stake but it still shot well. I was shocked.

Dump the bore butter and use a good oil. All my BP rifles get Birchwood Casey Barricade for storage. A good swabbing before loading and you are good to go.

Bob

Don't sweat it. If you failed to clean it the whole bore would likely look bad. Looks like you might have been a little less than diligent in cleaning before you put it away.

Ill clean my BP, prep it for storage, and STILL give it another once over in a day or so.

Only way to know is by shooting it, and it'll likely be fine. Take a few different projectiles with you in the event it is affected and you might find it'll shoot a PRB better than a conical or a sabot or whatever.
I definitely put it away uncleaned. Bore was fuzzy with residue and the breech plug had residue on it as well. I feel like an ass.

I'm surprised the breech plug came out clean no rust at all on the breech face. Just the 6 spots in the bore.

What do you all think are my chances she will still shoot straight?View attachment 531908View attachment 531909
How accurate was before
I say the deviation between eye ball and boogha hook are far worse than anything that little bit of rust .
I swear TC uses a alloy prone to rust anyway.
My 1st omega was rusty from the factory. So was the replacement…..

How accurate was before
I say the deviation between eye ball and boogha hook are far worse than anything that little bit of rust .
I swear TC uses a alloy prone to rust anyway.
My 1st omega was rusty from the factory. So was the replacement…..
It was fist size groups at 100 yards so good enough for deer in the woods for sure.

Back
Top Bottom