RV Trip

USA

]I am going on a RV Trip down to Florida and back and was interested in brining my firearm with me. I have MA resident and NH non resident licenses. I have been doing research about what states I am covered to carry in and have found some sources at http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php and https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html. These maps says they have been updated within this year and show that MA license is valid in a ton of states, which I didn't think anyone recognized it. I'm thinking of actually checking with each state's attorney general webpage to verify this information for myself.

And I am passing through NY and NJ and know about their craziness when it comes to transporting, so that will be a don't ask don't tell if I encounter anyone. Will be avoiding DC. ALos will not be allowing searches without a warrant to the best of my ability.

While traveling, firearm will be unloaded and locked separately from ammo which will also be locked, both of which will not be readily accessible while traveling.

Generally looking to see if my research strategy is sound and if anyone has any advice or further resources.

View attachment State List.pdf

I am stuck to going through NY and NJ as we are visiting my grandmother. If it wasn't for that stop, I would venture out west and down through PA as that's my second stop.

FL ONLY recognizes RESIDENT licenses from NH. So a NR NH gets you nowhere in FL.

Yeah, I hate that distinction. Don't understand why it makes a difference so long as you have the state license.....

I am stuck to going through NY and NJ as we are visiting my grandmother. If it wasn't for that stop, I would venture out west and down through PA as that's my second stop.
AFAIK if you stop in NY or NJ you can't claim the protection of FOPA. Of course NYC and NJ don't honor FOPA anyway. Hide your toys deep under the dirty laundry, scrub the 2A stickers off the vehicle and tuck your LTCs where they won't be visible if you open your wallet for Trooper Friendly. Paranoid? Sometimes it's the best way to be.

Yeah, I hate that distinction. Don't understand why it makes a difference so long as you have the state license.....

As Woodstock stated, if you STOP for ANY reason other than a quick bathroom break/gas up/ quick roadside meal, you will have absolutely NO protection from FOPA all the way to PA!!!!

You can't have any guns in the car if you are stopping in NY or NJ for any reason as you implied.

ETA: Each state makes their own rules/laws as to what they will accept. FL like a number of others decided only to accept Resident licenses. Nothing we can do about that.

As Woodstock stated, if you STOP for ANY reason other than a quick bathroom break/gas up/ quick roadside meal, you will have absolutely NO protection from FOPA all the way to PA!!!!

You can't have any guns in the car if you are stopping in NY or NJ for any reason as you implied.

ETA: Each state makes their own rules/laws as to what they will accept. FL like a number of others decided only to accept Resident licenses. Nothing we can do about that.

AFAIK if you stop in NY or NJ you can't claim the protection of FOPA. Of course NYC and NJ don't honor FOPA anyway. Hide your toys deep under the dirty laundry, scrub the 2A stickers off the vehicle and tuck your LTCs where they won't be visible if you open your wallet for Trooper Friendly. Paranoid? Sometimes it's the best way to be.

By visiting my grandmother I am not spending the night. We are picking up some pasta, eating with her, then continuing on. I didn't think that broke the FOPA protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^In NJ or NY, I wouldn't want to be stopped on side roads with firearms in the vehicle. It would be a tough sell to say you're just "enroute" to FL and using FOPA protections when you're several miles or more away from the NJ Turnpike and stopped by a local PD near Grandma's house.

I was in a similar situation on my way to GA last year, and we wanted to stop for a night to visit inlaws in NJ. We booked a room across the border in PA where I left my gun before crossing into NJ . Fortunately, they live very close to PA.

Last edited:
By visiting my grandmother I am not spending the night. We are picking up some pasta, eating with her, then continuing on. I didn't think that broke the FOPA protection?

You are Wrong and it's a felony in both NY and NJ. You obviously don't understand FOPA and relying on 3rd party websites for info can lead to disaster.

But I wish you luck and hope you won't need it.

- - - Updated - - -

Please explain further?

Go to handgunlaws.us, click on Florida and follow the link to obtaining a NR license on the FL state website. All info is there including the form, except for the FL-specific fingerprint cards.

Florida does not recognize your Mass license (because Mass won't play nice) so you need a non-resident Florida permit if that is where you are going. Go here:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...-for-or-Renew-a-Concealed-Weapon-License#mail

I have one, costs a few bucks, you need to submit proof of training, fingerprints, and a photo. But not too bad, and, I believe (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong), the only way you can carry in Florida and likely the only way you can rely at all in Florida, as you need to be legal at your start and end points.

As others have mentioned, FOPA covers you "IN TRANSIT". Stopping means that you're not in transit. Now, how long you're stopped is kinda subjective. You stop to get gas, you stop to take a restroom break, you stop to eat dinner... I do the run from GA <=> CT twice a year and typically have firearms with me.

Since you're going to FL, I'd apply for a non-resident FL weapons permit. It's easy to get and will cover you in a multitude of states. That will then leave you RI, CT, NY, NJ, MD & DC as your problem states from MA to FL. Lock your gun up separate from ammo, remove your "moron labia" stickers from your RV and have a nice trip.

You are Wrong and it's a felony in both NY and NJ. You obviously don't understand FOPA and relying on 3rd party websites for info can lead to disaster.

But I wish you luck and hope you won't need it.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to handgunlaws.us, click on Florida and follow the link to obtaining a NR license on the FL state website. All info is there including the form, except for the FL-specific fingerprint cards.

I was referring to the usps comment. Wasn't sure what he meant by that. And the website you refereed to doesn't exist

I was referring to the usps comment. Wasn't sure what he meant by that. And the website you refereed to doesn't exist

No idea what USPS comment you are referring to. I was referring to stopping for a visit in NY or NJ.

Website, sorry I had it as plural where it is singular.

http://handgunlaw.us/ is the correct website.

Sorry ---- USPO (post office)

USPS and USPO are really the same thing.

I'm willing to bet from the OP's posts that he's not researched any of FL laws wrt where one can carry with a FL license! They have a laundry list of forbidden places unlike MA.

He really needs to do a lot of research, but use only "primary sources" (state websites) for his info.

I'm willing to bet from the OP's posts that he's not researched any of FL laws wrt where one can carry with a FL license! They have a laundry list of forbidden places unlike MA.

He really needs to do a lot of research, but use only "primary sources" (state websites) for his info.

Agreed..... But he will certainly need a non-resident Florida permit, If I understand correctly w/o that all other points are moot, as there is no sense taking a gun at all.

I've don't quite a bit of research. I know that I'm not currently covered in Fl so I wasn't going to be bringing it all the way. Was going to leave in North Carolina as that's a stop I'm making and since I am stopping for several days and know I am not covered under FOPA

Florida does not recognize your Mass license (because Mass won't play nice) so you need a non-resident Florida permit if that is where you are going. Go here:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...-for-or-Renew-a-Concealed-Weapon-License#mail

I have one, costs a few bucks, you need to submit proof of training, fingerprints, and a photo. But not too bad, and, I believe (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong), the only way you can carry in Florida and likely the only way you can rely at all in Florida, as you need to be legal at your start and end points.

Matt, thanks for this link. Looked at this and read it, I don't see anything about Non Resident vs. Resident on this form? Also, in reading the requirements for proof of training, I had my training in 1995. Assuming I can find that piece of paper, would my CCL from MA be proof of training instead? My other alternative is to just take a class in FL, though it burns a day.

Matt, thanks for this link. Looked at this and read it, I don't see anything about Non Resident vs. Resident on this form? Also, in reading the requirements for proof of training, I had my training in 1995. Assuming I can find that piece of paper, would my CCL from MA be proof of training instead? My other alternative is to just take a class in FL, though it burns a day.

They list the requirements on the site.
60237d5e71af66dee31af7ee87b58d15.jpg

Back
Top Bottom