S&W 15-22 or Ruger SR-22 Rifle?

Looking to get a good tactical trainer in .22lr. I've boiled it down to the S&W 15-22 or the Ruger SR-22 rifle.

What would you get and why?

What do you think the pros and cons are of each?

Oh, and I can't buy both so that is not an option. Bummer!!!

M&P

while the ruger is every bit as good, its just a glorified 10/22...the M&P is much more like a standard AR

I've never shot a SR-22, but I LOVE my 15-22. Hasn't given me an issue. Find a range that isn't too far for us to meet up at and you're welcome to try mine.

The M&P easily. The ruger is a 10/22 with about 6lbs of stuff added on to make it tacticool. The M&P works like an AR, comes apart like an AR, is easy to clean like an AR, and has magazines that are the same size as an AR. The Ruger doesn't offer any of those things and requires dissassembly of the hand guard just to give it a proper cleaning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

What sort of tactical training can be learn by shooting .22 lr? I haven't seen any training courses use this ammo/firearm as a training tool. Maybe during a basic firearm course, you learned to plink on paper target.

Why not use the real training firearm and ammo?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

The M&P easily. The ruger is a 10/22 with about 6lbs of stuff added on to make it tacticool. The M&P works like an AR, comes apart like an AR, is easy to clean like an AR, and has magazines that are the same size as an AR. The Ruger doesn't offer any of those things and requires dissassembly of the hand guard just to give it a proper cleaning.

Basically a spot on point. The M&P is built on the AR platform and is a very good stepping stone towards the AR if you ever want to get into those one day. IMHO, the 10/22 by itself is the best rifle ever made and doesn't need the SR-22 upgrade unless you are looking for a more tactical look. There are plenty of stocks you could upgrade your 10/22 into. I've heard excellent reviews for the M&P15-22 and people generally love them. The SR-22 isn't anywhere near as popular but it could be what you're looking for.

M&P

while the ruger is every bit as good, its just a glorified 10/22...the M&P is much more like a standard AR

+1 if you want to get a Ruger just get the 10/22 and go to town. If you want a ar- 15 in .22 only, get the 15-22.

Of course if you have a AR already you could always look into a conversion kit.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One S via tapatalk

Looking to get a good tactical trainer in .22lr. I've boiled it down to the S&W 15-22 or the Ruger SR-22 rifle.

What would you get and why?

What do you think the pros and cons are of each?

Oh, and I can't buy both so that is not an option. Bummer!!!

If you already have an AR, why not get a conversion kit?
If the purpose is to train, then at least train with the same rifle, trigger and sights.

The M&P 15-22 is light weight. The Ruger is heavy. Since .22LR has no real recoil, I like a lighter weight rifle better. Plus, I prefer the AR-style manual of arms.

Thanks for the input and pointing me to the other thread.

After researching the two options, I decided to get a cammo m&p 15-22 [smile]

The goal is to familiarize a newbie to the AR mechanics without the recoil, and take advantage of the cheap ammo!

Checked one out today, it does feel like a toy and not a solid firearm. The perception of quality is low from its plastic composite feel and light weight. The cammo design is nice though. Aside from aesthetics, what matters to me are the AR functions. T-bolt handle, slide release, fire select, and mag release are all there. The only things missing are the dust cover and forward assist.

Once I get one I'll post a range report as a follow up. Hopefully in the next few weeks...

I like the M&P 15-22, but I hate the 10rd mags. I've heard that sr-22 preban mags exist, but they don't seem to be readily available like glock prebans for example. Is there any .22 rifle with prebans readily available or should I just go with the M&P and grumble under my breath every time I reload?

I like the M&P 15-22, but I hate the 10rd mags. I've heard that sr-22 preban mags exist, but they don't seem to be readily available like glock prebans for example. Is there any .22 rifle with prebans readily available or should I just go with the M&P and grumble under my breath every time I reload?

Keep in mind that the sr22 accepts all 10/22 mags. The firearm is nothing more than a 10/22...dressed up of course.

Also keep in mind that the 15-22 is not limited to 10rd mags. Here in Mass WE are limited...

Back
Top Bottom