S&W 1911 hammer replacement

Daddy Mac

NES Member
I just watched a Brownell's tech video of a 1911 hammer replacement. In the video it's just a simple swap. I'm wondering if any hand fitting may be required. I'm an excellent parts changer but by no means a gunsmith. Has anyone here had experience with this? I have no problem bringing it to someone, just wondering if it's easy enough to try myself. Love the gun, don't want to fudge it up.

I just watched a Brownell's tech video of a 1911 hammer replacement. In the video it's just a simple swap. I'm wondering if any hand fitting may be required. I'm an excellent parts changer but by no means a gunsmith. Has anyone here had experience with this? I have no problem bringing it to someone, just wondering if it's easy enough to try myself. Love the gun, don't want to fudge it up.
Which 1911?

I've swapped out the triggers on every 1911 I've had, it's pretty straightforward with YouTube videos. Triggers do sometimes need a little bit of filing. It's
a fairly tight tolerance. But I doubt switching to a different hammer would need any metal to be removed.
You just have to set aside some relaxed unhurried time to take the thing apart.

Not broken, just ugly. It was my first 1911. Bought about 10 years ago. I guess my tastes have changed. The pistol shoots great. Better than me.

Thanks for the replies. I've been using a SA Range Officer in 9mm and I've become fond of the more traditional skeletonized hammer design.

I don’t like that type of hammer either so I don’t blame you.
The short answer is you need a specific set of tools made for mating the hammer and sear on a 1911 to do the job right.
You can also buy a hammer and sear set that is already properly mated. Cylinder & Slide I think?

I might be wrong but that looks like an EGW Koenig speed hammer ( not factory by any means) if it is those are really nice, I wouldn't, touch it!! If it is the Koenig hammer more than likely it's mated to an EGW sear which is a nice combo...But I also really like the look of that hammer

When I hear "special tools", I think "special skills" so I may just live with it. S&W advertised it as super deluxe lightweight fast, fast, fast. It's probably the most accurate pistol I own so if I screwed it up there would most likely be tears. And as you all know, big girls don't cry.

Can you do it? Almost certainly. Swapping the part is not difficult. However the hammer to sear contact is so critical, I would not trust it to be perfect without at least being checked by a competent smith.

Good luck.

Yea what everyone has touched on above. Hammer is easy to change, but hammer and sear on a 1911 typically need to be fitted or checked to make sure it is going to be safe. I wouldn't mess with it unless you know what you're doing or have someone that can check it for you. You will not gain anything functionality wise by changing that hammer, you'll probably increase the lock time if anything, not that it really matters unless you a Jerry Miculek clone or something.

Thanks again for all of the help. The pistol is just a range / target gun and a safe queen at that. Covid fatigue has me looking for things to do. Next time I use it I'll just close my eyes and pretend it has a different hammer. Kind of like I do with the wife:D

Back
Top Bottom